• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penguins offseason thread

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little over $8 million left to work with on resigning Sutter, Spaling, Despres, and maybe bringing in a guy like Kulemin. Moving Scuderi, if there is any sort of market for him (there might be, as theddd has pointed out, given what other terrible former Pens' defensemen got in free agency), would put us up near $12 million. I love the Ehrhoff signing. I like the look of our top 6, and assuming we bring back our RFAs, I'm liking the way our bottom six is shaping up, too, especially if we add someone who can push Dupuis down to the third line.

This could be a very successful offseason by the end.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You have to like that. Maybe Goc was impressed with the organization. I've heard other player's say that made an impression on them and their families before.

He'll be great centering the 4th line. Goc is a faceoff monster.

Upgrade over Vitale for the long haul, in any case.

Last edited by a moderator:

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to like that. Maybe Goc was impressed with the organization. I've heard other player's say that made an impression on them and their families before.

He'll be great centering the 4th line. Goc is a faceoff monster.

Upgrade over Vitale for the long haul, in any case.

Um, no...Vitale was the premier faceoff king on the Pens and brought grit, speed and hustle...I like Goc, but no need to belittle Vitale.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Um, no...Vitale was the premier faceoff king on the Pens and brought grit, speed and hustle...I like Goc, but no need to belittle Vitale.

I don't think he's belittling Vitale, who most of us liked well enough, but Goc is an upgrade at that spot. He's an all-around better player, similar on faceoffs and a little slower, but much smarter defensively and a lot more useful in the offensive zone.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best thing we could do this offseason is to cut salaries. I don't think trying to stock up with a limited budget really makes any sense at all.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goc is a better player than Vitale, Vitale is a better faceoff man, I agree there.

Vitale isn't a checker though, he's just an energy player, doesn't have the hockey IQ to be a legit checker/pk'er.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think vrbata would be a really good fit for you guys

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Premier? No. Vitale took fewer than 350 draws last season. Meanwhile, Goc took over 1,200.

Of players on the Penguins who took even 500 faceoffs during the 2013-14 season, the only guy on the team who had a comparable faceoff win percentage to Goc (53.4%) is Sid at 52.5%.

You talk about grit, speed and hustle, and while I do agree that Vitale brought those three things, those are really about the only intangibles he possesses. Meanwhile, Goc also has similar attributes, as well as a better scoring touch, an ability to play solid defense, and the ability to skate hard to the end boards and not fall down when he gets there. Something Vitale never seemed to be able to master. Vitale just wasn't very good, and I have no problem belittling him. He won't be missed, IMO.

Toddyd77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comeau is a good 4th line guy.
Erhoff is fine as long as they move/dump scuderi's contract on someone or Trade Martin for a wing. Otherwise its just another guy delaying the developement of the young Dmen we have in the system.
Griess is a waste of 1 million that could have been spent on a forward.
the Goc signing is a good one as he can anchor a 4th line really well.

The Pens bottom 6 looks to be better but they need some sort of scoring threat to play with malkin or crosby depending on who hornqvist plays with.
Kunitz Crosby Hornqvist
Bennet Malkin ????
Dupuis Sutter Spaling
Comeau Goc ????

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather have both players but for the money spent I would rather have Goc. Vitale isn't worth that contract (hell neither is Jokinen, Glass, Orpik, Niskanen and Engelland!)

If you want energy guys they are truly a dime a dozen and can be filtered through WBS as needed, ala Megna, Gibbons, Conner etc...

Look at Conner he keeps getting NHL contracts with teams for that reason but he only gets league min or two way deals because his value only comes in short spurts.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comeau is a good 4th line guy.
Erhoff is fine as long as they move/dump scuderi's contract on someone or Trade Martin for a wing. Otherwise its just another guy delaying the developement of the young Dmen we have in the system.
Griess is a waste of 1 million that could have been spent on a forward.
the Goc signing is a good one as he can anchor a 4th line really well.

The Pens bottom 6 looks to be better but they need some sort of scoring threat to play with malkin or crosby depending on who hornqvist plays with.
Kunitz Crosby Hornqvist
Bennet Malkin ????
Dupuis Sutter Spaling
Comeau Goc ????

I didn't understand the deal either but what it does do if MAF is out for an extended period they have a goal tender that can play long term. I am not sure Zatkoff could do that.

As for D-men moving on unfortunately I don't see Martin/Scuderi getting moved, I see Bortuzzo or Despres.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they have 8.3 million left under the cap with three RFA's in Despres, Sutter and Spaling.

Have a feeling Despres will stay about the same price as before. Sutter and Spaling will get a salary bump so they might leave around 2.5 million left. I doubt Vrbata would take a pay cut so unless a D-man is moved their top six will include Dupuis and the 4th line will have Adams or the likes of Payerl, Megna, Gibbons etc....

Toddyd77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Megna prob starts in the AHL but they should look for Gibbons to play on the 4th line and/or Zach Sill. Both would be pretty cheap options and can be interchanged depending if you need more size and physicality or flat out speed.
Sill was pretty good in that agitator role last season the games he played and wasn't afraid to drop the gloves if needed.

Despres and Bortuzzo both need to stay as Martin and Erhoff both are UFA after this season and unlikely we keep both so we need to keep younger dmen with experience.
I really hope that Duper is on the 3rd line. I just can't see him being back 100% to his old self after knee surgery and missing that much time. Him playing with Sutter and Spaling our 3rd line could be one the best in the league.
But with the limited capspace probably not a chance, at least right away, Rutherford brings in a potenital top 6 caliber winger.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greiss is a better goalie than Zatkoff, not sure there is much debate there.

And you can be over the cap for a time, as long as you make a corresponding move before training camp to get back under.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...Duper is going right back onto Sid's line...somebody has to play two ways and it isn't Skid or Kunitz.

And if you pencil in Bennett, you better have someone else in mind because he is a potato chip.

Love how the Crapitals picked up a and paid a ransom for Niskanen and Oprik. Jussi got paid

Don't know what stats others were looking at but Joe V had a 62.5% faceoff win %

Again, love Goc but no need to belittle Vitale.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goc will carry a $1.2 million dollar cap hit next season. Vitale will carry a $1.1 million dollar cap hit next season. The Pens will pay about $85,000 more for Goc compared to what the Coyotes will pay Vitale to play the same position.

Who would you rather have?

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goc will carry a $1.2 million dollar cap hit next season. Vitale will carry a $1.1 million dollar cap hit next season. The Pens will pay about $85,000 more for Goc compared to what the Coyotes will pay Vitale to play the same position.

Who would you rather have?

Either...if it's for multiple years, then Vitale as he is a year or two younger but they appear to be the same player with Goc having had more opportunities to prove he is a goal scorer.

Glad the Pens kept Goc. Both are good players

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greiss is a better goalie than Zatkoff, not sure there is much debate there.

And you can be over the cap for a time, as long as you make a corresponding move before training camp to get back under.

Also I think Zatkoff can start in the minors and his cap hit won't count even though it is a one way deal.

I don't think it was much of a debate it is a good deal especially the fact that Griess could be an NHL starter if needed. I was just shocked they made that deal, just like the Ehrhoff deal.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now this is the first head scratcher of the day. Steve Downie....

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the RFA's I doubt much more signing will occur:

Dupuis - Crosby - Kunitz
Bennett - Malkin - Hornqvist
Spaling - Sutter - Gibbons (if signed)
Downie - Goc - Comeau