• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

pay a guy

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we keep 2 OL that were good and 1 WR that was good, and we have a solid playoff team
Marvin Jones, Whitworth, and the other smuck

Pay somebody you dumbass

How can you miss on 2................2 OL drafted Early?

We seem to stink at the draft. Never gonna win with MB. Sell this crap before it gets worse.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is over 30+ million dollars a year right there. How do you pay Atkins and Burfict if those three are on the books?

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is over 30+ million dollars a year right there. How do you pay Atkins and Burfict if those three are on the books?

Listen Hobs, the Bengals are at least 10 million under the cap for this season. They could have easily afforded 2 of the 4 that they lost and their chances would be much better if they did.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen Hobs, the Bengals are at least 10 million under the cap for this season. They could have easily afforded 2 of the 4 that they lost and their chances would be much better if they did.

Whitworth $12 million a year (with bonus)
Zeitler $12 million a year (with bonus)
Jones $8 million a year (with bonus)

Burfict $10 million a year (with bonus)
Atkins $10 million a year (with bonus currently) - needs new contract and will make more than that probably.

Our problem was not who we decided to keep and jettison, it was the fact that our 1st and 2nd round tackles FLOPPED once they became regulars. We anticipated those guys moving on, we drafted a year in advance accordingly to minimize damage, and the draft picks just bombed. Just as simple as that.

So call me Hobs if you want, I think we did the right thing in relation to contracts at the time. As we sit though, it is clearly our oline that is causing 90% of our issues.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Atkins $10 million a year (with bonus currently) - needs new contract and will make more than that probably.

Our problem was not who we decided to keep and jettison, it was the fact that our 1st and 2nd round tackles FLOPPED once they became regulars. We anticipated those guys moving on, we drafted a year in advance accordingly to minimize damage, and the draft picks just bombed. Just as simple as that.

So call me Hobs if you want, I think we did the right thing in relation to contracts at the time. As we sit though, it is clearly our oline that is causing 90% of our issues.

Nothing but a bunch of excuses. Funny how small market Pittsburgh manages to keep their OL intact. While still paying their other stars like Big Ben and Brown. They managed to keep a bunch of HOF together on defense for years.

Why is it only the Bengals seem to have issues keeping homegrown stars around with a 30 million cap cushion? I think you know the answer.

jgreene95

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why is it only the Bengals seem to have issues keeping homegrown stars around with a 30 million cap cushion? I think you know the answer.
Because this team is ran by a bunch of friggin idiots.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just joking about the Hobs thing.... Unless you want to meet at the Dayton Mall. I'll go AJ Green on your ass.

But, my point remains. The Bengals try to sell the idea that they are masters at the cap and they avoid all dead money. They also come up with arbitrary principles, like not paying a guard in FA. But it hasn't won a single playoff game. Time to change the philosophy.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
eventually they need to make a big push to attempt a real run at the SB, this feels like a cut back year.

It seems the plan was to keep reminding us that "This year is about 50 years of Bengals!!!" to the point that we completely forget about them losing this year. "Just focus on the 50 years!!!"

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
eventually they need to make a big push to attempt a real run at the SB, this feels like a cut back year.

It seems the plan was to keep reminding us that "This year is about 50 years of Bengals!!!" to the point that we completely forget about them losing this year. "Just focus on the 50 years!!!"

2 years of fun.

48 years of disappointment.

Thanks Bengals.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This was about the 50 years. It was an anniversary to remind us who the REAL Bengals have been the last 50 years. They wanted to make the fan experience authentic.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing but a bunch of excuses. Funny how small market Pittsburgh manages to keep their OL intact. While still paying their other stars like Big Ben and Brown. They managed to keep a bunch of HOF together on defense for years.

Pittsburgh Steelers 2017 Salary Tables per Position:
Pittsburgh Steelers Contracts

Cincinnati Bengals 2017 Salary Tables per Position:
Cincinnati Bengals Contracts

Look at the position differences. The Bengals are paying more for the cap right now, and that is with Pittsburgh having 8 million in dead money, and us only having a million. Now look at 2018 for each team. Cincinnati drops down several million, while Pittsburgh balloons to about 24 million more next year, as of right now. They are going to have to cut players, probably lose Bell or Roethlisberger, and restructure some contracts.

We are also in negotiations with Atkins about extending him another 4 to 5 years and he is already the highest paid DL we have.

We choose to sign QB, WR (mostly AJ), DL, CB/S. We had younger guys, we needed the cap space for our "stars" and we chose not to pay a guard 12 million a year, and a 35 year old tackle, who while excellent, only has a few years left in the tank. We bet heavy on Obuehi and Fisher and lost the house. I don't fault them for their thinking, as I would have done the same thing. Problem is now, they have to rebuild that unit fast.

1 decent FA T signing, and then a couple draft picks to put in place. Let Obuehi and Fisher be backups, hope they can be okay in backup roles.

Sign T in FA
Draft T in draft 1st round pick
Draft C in the 2nd round.

Or flip flop if we miss out on the elite tackles and forced to go with second tier T that are 2nd round quality, and then go after the best C in the draft. Whatever makes most sense at the time, but that has to be our priority.

Boling is decent at LG.

Hopkins / Westerman / mid round draft pick G - can take over the other guard position.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pittsburgh Steelers 2017 Salary Tables per Position:
Pittsburgh Steelers Contracts

Cincinnati Bengals 2017 Salary Tables per Position:
Cincinnati Bengals Contracts

Look at the position differences. The Bengals are paying more for the cap right now, and that is with Pittsburgh having 8 million in dead money, and us only having a million. Now look at 2018 for each team. Cincinnati drops down several million, while Pittsburgh balloons to about 24 million more next year, as of right now. They are going to have to cut players, probably lose Bell or Roethlisberger, and restructure some contracts.

We are also in negotiations with Atkins about extending him another 4 to 5 years and he is already the highest paid DL we have.

We choose to sign QB, WR (mostly AJ), DL, CB/S. We had younger guys, we needed the cap space for our "stars" and we chose not to pay a guard 12 million a year, and a 35 year old tackle, who while excellent, only has a few years left in the tank. We bet heavy on Obuehi and Fisher and lost the house. I don't fault them for their thinking, as I would have done the same thing. Problem is now, they have to rebuild that unit fast.

1 decent FA T signing, and then a couple draft picks to put in place. Let Obuehi and Fisher be backups, hope they can be okay in backup roles.

Sign T in FA
Draft T in draft 1st round pick
Draft C in the 2nd round.

Or flip flop if we miss out on the elite tackles and forced to go with second tier T that are 2nd round quality, and then go after the best C in the draft. Whatever makes most sense at the time, but that has to be our priority.

Boling is decent at LG.

Hopkins / Westerman / mid round draft pick G - can take over the other guard position.

Bullshit. This has been an argument I've heard for the past 6 years.... Somehow they never seem to suffer. The difference is that they get rid of guys when they are no longer needed.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't do heavy back loaded contracts that force us to cut guys later on in favor of a couple more years of play now.

I imagine Pittsburgh is going to lose Bell. He is going to want top RB money, and they can't afford it, unless Roethlisberger retires after this year.

They will lose one of them.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit. This has been an argument I've heard for the past 6 years.... Somehow they never seem to suffer. The difference is that they get rid of guys when they are no longer needed.

They also do a better job of replacing their own guys and have a good coaching staff to coach them up.

So besides us just redoing some oline, we need to replace Marvin and a few coaches. We are not that far off from being a playoff team if they work on their two weaknesses.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't do heavy back loaded contracts that force us to cut guys later on in favor of a couple more years of play now.

I imagine Pittsburgh is going to lose Bell. He is going to want top RB money, and they can't afford it, unless Roethlisberger retires after this year.

They will lose one of them.

They'll tag Bell one more year and then let him walk. It will be a smart move - His wheels will fall off sooner rather than later.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also do a better job of replacing their own guys and have a good coaching staff to coach them up.

So besides us just redoing some oline, we need to replace Marvin and a few coaches. We are not that far off from being a playoff team if they work on their two weaknesses.

You mean aside from the fact that we only have one professional level offensive lineman. Oh, and one good receiver. Aside from that, we're right there.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean aside from the fact that we only have one professional level offensive lineman. Oh, and one good receiver. Aside from that, we're right there.

I am honestly not that concerned about our WR's. I don't find Boyd, Core, Malone that bad of receivers, and I think Ross "can be" good if he can get healthy and play in a few games. Erickson isn't terrible either. All Erikson does is make plays.

The offensive lineman are a real concern though, which is why they have to focus there.

I mean, we had Whitworth and Zeitler last year and Dalton still had been sacked more than he had ever been sacked before.

I think we need a bunch of road grading offensive lineman. We get the holes opened for Mixon, and with his versatility, I think they would be a bigger difference maker for us on our offense.

Run the ball 25 times a game with Mixon, throw him the ball 5 times a game. Mix in about 25 passes with Dalton.

Road grading offensive line. Big massive offensive lineman, start using Hewitt as our FB, Kroft at TE, and then Green and Ross on the outside.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am honestly not that concerned about our WR's. I don't find Boyd, Core, Malone that bad of receivers, and I think Ross "can be" good if he can get healthy and play in a few games. Erickson isn't terrible either. All Erikson does is make plays.

The offensive lineman are a real concern though, which is why they have to focus there.

I mean, we had Whitworth and Zeitler last year and Dalton still had been sacked more than he had ever been sacked before.

I think we need a bunch of road grading offensive lineman. We get the holes opened for Mixon, and with his versatility, I think they would be a bigger difference maker for us on our offense.

Run the ball 25 times a game with Mixon, throw him the ball 5 times a game. Mix in about 25 passes with Dalton.

Road grading offensive line. Big massive offensive lineman, start using Hewitt as our FB, Kroft at TE, and then Green and Ross on the outside.

hmm...

I think again, we need to fill in some weak spots with free agents and/or trades and stop relying on the draft to fix all of our problems. that's why this isn't a playoff team, we rely mostly on the draft, which is largely a crap shoot.

Some of our WR's are a little over-hyped by hobson and company. I agree that some of them have athletic ability, but whether or not they become stars during their tenure here is yet to be seen. like Marvin Jones, they will need to leave the nest first.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see how this organization is going to rebuild a line within one or two seasons. Unless we're more willing to dip into free agency than we have been in the past, it seems like an impossible task. If we were to build through the draft, we'd need at least three new lineman next year.... And I just don't see how you can start two rookie tackles in the NFL.

Our best hope would be to overpay at least one offensive tackle and draft another in rounds 1 or 2. We'll probably have to live with our crappy center for one more year and hope one of the guys currently on the team can win the second guard position.

I also think its time to move on from Paul Alexander. He might have had success in the past, but he has to be held accountable for the failures of our recent draft picks.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they need to leave the nest. However, I do think they need to be given playing time. Marvin coaches like he is a college coach and plays seniority. Core seems open every time Dalton attempts to throw him the ball, but he can never hit Core. Two or three times Core had two to 3 steps on his back down the field and Dalton over threw him each time. Malone has done pretty well for a rookie that rarely gets to play. Ross and Boyd have been hurt. Eifert gone again, which keeps teams from accounting for him and puts more guys in the secondary. Bad oline is 90% of our problem. Coaching the other 10%.