• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pat Mahomes II- The QBotF

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All things Mahomes SuperThread between now and hopefully when he takes the job by next season.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be interesting to see his development in the pocket. No rush on bringing him in.

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dorsey was happy as shit when Mahomes name was called, he was my fav QB in the draft.

With Smith's tutelage, he could be really special.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be interesting to see his development in the pocket. No rush on bringing him in.
Yeah, this is the main thing that concerns me about Mahomes. You can design plays to where this is mitigated, but that's a tough thing to do regardless of Reid's acumen there.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, this is the main thing that concerns me about Mahomes. You can design plays to where this is mitigated, but that's a tough thing to do regardless of Reid's acumen there.

lol really was kinda antsy about this pick, but hoping for the best. agree with him holding the clipboard for a little while...

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol really was kinda antsy about this pick, but hoping for the best. agree with him holding the clipboard for a little while...
Personally I am just glad there's a direction at the position instead of just getting by. I don't think this team will be mediocre so we should make out ok when it comes to the draft trade chart. Still a lot of picks to get guys to shore up the run D and RB.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I am just glad there's a direction at the position instead of just getting by. I don't think this team will be mediocre so we should make out ok when it comes to the draft trade chart. Still a lot of picks to get guys to shore up the run D and RB.

definitely was hoping for a good RB with the loss of Jamaal Charles. but yeah, good ones can still be had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds...

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, it looks like the Chargers are the only team in the division now with some major questions about the future of the QB position insofar as who. Can't be too aggressively negative about Lynch/Siemian given we're taking on an ambitious development project ourselves in Mahomes; but I trust Reid so much more than I would Kubes/VJ and friends to coach the kid. Derek Carr is going to be a major problem. Mahomes hopefully is close enough to Carr where the QB advantage, if any, is mush.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thrilled KC finally drafted a QB. Just not sold on the QB they used 2 first round and a late round for... Maybe if there was more hype around him.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of me is kinda hoping that they trade back with the 2nd round pick unless someone really good is on the board there. If the mock draft showed me anything is that you can totally get some quality talent in rd3 and rd4 in this draft.

Losing the first next year might leave a bit of a hole so if they do take someone with the 2nd round pick, it should be the position that they would've taken in rd1 for 2018. OLB/WR/ILB maybe. WR/TE would make sense to help out Mahomes.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, is Mahomes the next Dak Prescott or is he a journeyman that never makes it to prime time. Big risk for the Chiefs IMO but with high risk, comes high reward (sometimes). Similar situation to the Broncos with Paxton Lynch. Will be interesting to track all of this in the next few years to come.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He to me was one of the toughest evaluations in the entire draft.

1) System he played in usually not known for translating well to the NFL. He did show at times the ability to throw NFL type throws so still possible to see him develop to an NFL level.

2) Cannon for an arm which is a very nice trait to have but I do think it helped cover up some of his questionable decision making. Was able to fit it into windows that I don't think will quite be there in the NFL.

3) Lit up some pretty terrible teams but did seem to struggle when he got into the heart of the schedule. Accuracy went from around 75% down to about 60%. Tougher competition yes should cause a drop but just something he needs to work on.

4) The improvisation is fun to watch but very few college QB's see that trait translate well to the NFL. Has to learn how to play from the pocket and on time with his throws.

Now when I was evaluating Mahomes I remember noting I thought if there is a QB from this draft that I think could become something it would be this kid. He would need to go to a team that had patience and a stable coaching staff around him to give him the time and energy needed to mold him into what he needs to become. KC obviously offers that so good situation for him. Now just a matter of seeing how badly he wants to be great.

Understand I say all this and had the same things to say about Paxton Lynch who I loved in last year's draft. Thankfully he has gotten some time to develop and will see how badly he wants it this year. Both of our teams took a huge risk on a very raw QB. Could pay off huge or could set the franchise back quite a few years.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) System he played in usually not known for translating well to the NFL. He did show at times the ability to throw NFL type throws so still possible to see him develop to an NFL level.

Generally with air raid type QB's you're getting a powderpuff arm and routes that generally compensate for that. It's much more about the skill position players than the QB. Not that there aren't routes and route combinations that can't be used, but usually when this criticism is made I check three things:

1. What does the arm look like?
  2. Is he accurate?
  3. Does he elevate the team?
1) he has maybe the best raw arm strength since Rodgers came into the league. So I have zero concerns regarding to portions of the field he can't reach.
2) For a guy operating basically on streetball, I find him to be remarkably accurate, but it's still streetball and he's missing throws he really has no business missing. Has some exciting possibilities for some Favre/Rodgersesque improv outside the pocket where that's a more useful trait. In the nearterm he needs to be drilled constantly on footwork, the playbook, and mechanics to weed out as much of the unnecessary misses as much as possible. His team was bad, but he still could've been better.
3) Definitely did- the Tech defense was one of the worst in the country and the offense was one of the best. Can't really put a sub .500 mark on him. Made throws down the field repeatedly.

Cannon for an arm which is a very nice trait to have but I do think it helped cover up some of his questionable decision making. Was able to fit it into windows that I don't think will quite be there in the NFL.

Yeah, very, very few QB's in the NFL have the armstrength and instinctual touch to pull that off against top end NFL talent. Carr and Rodgers might be the only two I can think of currently starting that could do that off-platform and be accurate. Mahomes may fit the profile of being the third, but that's presumptuous. The possibility is real there whereas if someone suggest that to me with Alex Smith I'd probably chuckle a little. The translation of this skill is historically poor so I won't count on it, but I will be watching for it.

Lit up some pretty terrible teams but did seem to struggle when he got into the heart of the schedule. Accuracy went from around 75% down to about 60%. Tougher competition yes should cause a drop but just something he needs to work on.

That's true but Tech was a pretty terrible team outside of Mahomes themselves on both sides of the ball. This is where you want to see a guy sit for a year, watch tape, learn the offense, work on mechanics, and build rapport in a more stable situation and from superior coaching. Crossing my fingers that does the trick but you never know with QB prospects for certain. I am generally not trusting with prospects like this, but Reid's history with QB's lends me a pretty long leash.

The improvisation is fun to watch but very few college QB's see that trait translate well to the NFL. Has to learn how to play from the pocket and on time with his throws.

Can't deny this historically doesn't translate but historically there are very few comparisons for Mahomes' arm strength so it's not impossible he ends up being an exception to a usual hard and steady rule for the vast majority of NFL QB's. The Pocket will certainly be key. This, to re-emphasize, is where you want to see a guy sit for a year, watch tape, learn the offense, work on mechanics, and build rapport in a more stable situation and from superior coaching. Rushing a prospect like Mahomes is going to be fatal.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mahomes and Paxton Lynch were basically the same types of picks but in different drafts and needing to work on different things. The Broncos got the slightly better deal because the market was a bit different last year. This year, there was a real possibility that a team like the Giants would've moved up for Mahomes.

I really dont think Andy Reid asks much from his QBs as far as I can tell so I dont think Mahomes should need a lot of bench time. I think he'll be ready by 2018. I just think that his tape from college just doesn't work at the NFL level. Mahomes could probably do the easy stuff against bad defenses and look like a real stud early on but anything complex and it would be an awful mess. If he gets the pocket presence and footwork down, the rest just comes down to play experience.

I think Mayock is a bit nuts for calling him a Brett Favre. Maybe he is a Jake Plummer, Matthew Stafford, Jay Cutler or Rich Gannon if he actually develops but some of that college tape is just painful to watch.

That said, he is 10 1/2 years younger than Alex Smith. He has time.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong I think it is a good pick for the Chiefs. The value traded might be a bit rich for my blood but that is in part to the fact that not really any trades of future 1st round picks for QB's has worked out for teams. More teams have done it recently though so we should have a very good understanding of if it works for teams or not here in just a few short years.

Mahomes is in the perfect situation. Gets to sit for a year and clean up some of the little things that make you shake your head for the things that he does. The raw talent is there. Just like most Bronco fans feel with Paxton. All comes down to how much do they want it and can they get the mental side of the game down. Might not find 2 more physically gifted QB's in the NFL than these two but physically gifted doesn't always mean a whole lot when it comes to the QB position. I watched that first hand with Manning. Maybe no QB in the NFL less physically gifted when he came to the Broncos than Manning. His head though helped him do things that I still don't fully understand how he did.

Honestly I hope both of them develop. It would be a great battle for the next 10 years