• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grading Pac-12 recruiting: USC, Washington dominate; UCLA, ASU and Oregon shine

Arizona: B-
Rich Rodriguez’s 16-player class has several promising prospects. The key piece for Kevin Sumlin (his only recruit, in fact) was QB Kevin Doyle, the former Michigan commitment. (More on Sumlin here.)

Arizona State: A-
Solid close for Herm Edwards amidst low expectations. The decision to hire Antonio Pierce from Long Beach Poly was one of the Pac-12’s smartest staff moves.

Cal: C
Justin Wilcox’s overhaul continued with a huge emphasis on in-state players. The Bears missed on several top targets but got the OT they needed in Will Craig.

Colorado: C+
With limited in-state talent (only two 4-stars players), the Buffs again leaned on Texas and California prospects passed over by the heavyweights. That’s a tough existence.

Oregon: A-
Navigated the Willie Taggart fallout successfully, corralling two major talents at a position of immediate need with WRs Jalen Hall and Isaah Crocker (i.e., options for Justin Herbert.)

Oregon State: B
Recruiting to Corvallis is tough enough without a miserable season and coaching change, but Jonathan Smith squeezed water from stone with this class — the Beavers couldn’t have asked for much more.

Stanford: C
Class includes two touted QBs (Jack West and Tanner McKee) but was framed by limited numbers and lacks the wow factor we’re used to seeing at other positions.

UCLA: A-
After pivoting from Jim Mora’s plan, Chip Kelly loaded up with four DLs, a position of immense need, and secured his QB of the future in Dorian Thompson-Robinson.

USC: A
Another stellar finish allowed the Trojans to secure key pieces in the secondary. JT Daniels and Amon-Ra St. Brown form the best incoming QB-WR combination in the nation.

Utah: B+
Could be one of the best classes in school history if QB Jack Tuttle meets expectations. Utes also grabbed a high-end WR (Solomon Enis) and loaded up on the DL.

Washington: A
Loaded in the secondary (surprise!), this is the only class close to USC’s in overall talent. And I’m not including in that assessment Jacob Eason, the former 5-star QB arriving from Georgia.

Washington State: B+
Big in numbers and heavy on WRs, Mike Leach’s class built on the Cougars’ multi-year uptick. Look for QB Cammon Cooper to lead the conference in passing by 2021.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand. you posted something that didnt rate the Huskies as the top? in fact it has Oregon ahead of UW at something?
Building the Perfect College Football Offense for 2018

0133d5308e9385e78cc172b535e4a3d1_crop_exact.jpg

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon State
Target: CB Isaiah Rutherford (Carmichael)
247 rating: 4 stars/No. 29 CB in the nation
In pursuit: Alabama, Notre Dame, USC, Oregon and Cal

Yep, the Beavers are in deep waters here, but this serves as an early litmus test for new coach Jonathan Smith. Land Rutherford, and the multi-year recruiting impact could be significant.

HC JS landed a 4* last month for 2018.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand. you posted something that didnt rate the Huskies as the top? in fact it has Oregon ahead of UW at something?
Was anyone supposed to be surprised by that? :noidea:

I mean this list is nothing more than comfort level with experience and depth. Ducks are one of only a couple of teams with a backup that has actual game experience.

Unless I'm missing something the ducks backup went 1-4 in games started last year? :noidea:

I mean I'd probably be a bit more excited about a high level recruit backup than a kid that has already proven he can't beat anyone. Just saying.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was anyone supposed to be surprised by that? :noidea:

I mean this list is nothing more than comfort level with experience and depth. Ducks are one of only a couple of teams with a backup that has actual game experience.

Unless I'm missing something the ducks backup went 1-4 in games started last year? :noidea:

I mean I'd probably be a bit more excited about a high level recruit backup than a kid that has already proven he can't beat anyone. Just saying.
I would much rather throw Shough in there but im not the coach to make these kinds of decisions.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would much rather throw Shough in there but im not the coach to make these kinds of decisions.
Well Wilner's piece is just another example of the stretch these guys go to in order to try and keep receiving their payroll in the long ass off season.

Normally I like Wilner and his insight into all things Pac12, but this is kind of lazy fluff work. A list that basically only ranks teams by QB experience in a confidence ranking seems kind of pointless. Particularly if you are giving high credit to backups that didn't play well to begin with.

Probably just hit me wrong because again right there at the top of the piece (last place) was the cougs and a reminder that after their presumptive starter killed himself they do not have a single QB that has a live game snap on their roster and that just sent me down the wrong path right away.