• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Overpaid"

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consiidering Connolly's last contract from the Sabers was 2 years at 4.5 per he got a raise of 250 grand per year. The Sabres overpaid him to begin with. The Leafs gave him a slight raise.

I know the Leafs have a ton of money, but c'mon, there's no way 13 goals and 42 points should get you 9.5 million for the next two years. Two wrongs don't make a right.

BlueandWhiteForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry I C W but I have to agree with the masses here. The Panthers overpaid for players that really don't make them a playoff contender as they are. I see you are a passionate fan of the team, but I worry you are getting your hopes up for a team that still isn't very good.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I know the Leafs have a ton of money, but c'mon, there's no way 13 goals and 42 points should get you 9.5 million for the next two years. Two wrongs don't make a right.

but three rights make a left :drum:

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a dumb way to evaluate a contract.

Going by that criteria, I suppose Jovanovski's underpaid.

Did Connolly get too much money? Of course he did. The problem is this is a very weak UFA class. Especially at the center position. There are a lot of teams in dire need of centers. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if Buffalo moved Leino to Center. He played there before coming to the NHL. Connolly might have been the best Center left on the market. The Leafs had a huge need & filled it.

I don't agree with the contract, just like I don't agree with a lot of what were seeing, but that's the way it is.

BlueandWhiteForever

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Put it in context Dash. Burke lost out on Erhoff, Richards and all the other players he wanted. So, he overpaid for Connolly in desperation, knowing full well the attack he is going to come under from Leafs Nation.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. It's a bad contract. Look at the alternatives at Center though. There just isn't much out their. Heck I bet if Garth made Josh Bailey available he'd have 25 teams fighting over him.

I cAnT wAtCh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sorry I C W but I have to agree with the masses here. The Panthers overpaid for players that really don't make them a playoff contender as they are. I see you are a passionate fan of the team, but I worry you are getting your hopes up for a team that still isn't very good.

I absolutely agree that they overpaid guys.
I still think the player's abilities are better than we're giving them credit for, however.

It's like Tim Connolly. He's a bit overpaid, but his abilities are that of a 2nd line center if healthy.
The Leafs are a better team next year with Tim Connolly than without Tim Connolly.

The Panthers are a better team next year with these "overpaid" guys. Much better team actually. This team had Scott Timmins and Jack Skille on scoring lines at the end of last year. Hugh Jessiman got playing time on the 4th line. We were really bad. At least it's an NHL team now. Things have to go right for this team to make the playoffs, but I'm gonna be excited that my team has an actual shot of winning some games again...with prospects ready for the near-future.

I cAnT wAtCh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Bergenheim scored 14 goals last year. That's not even his career high. He had 8 in the playoffs. We'll see if he continues that pace. I seriously doubt it. Tell me why Versteeg has been traded 3 times in the span of 1 season? If Kopecky is a 3rd line player why was he paid like a 1st or 2nd line forward. By the way he was a 4th liner in Detroit & Chicago. Upshall got 4 years 14 million to play on the 3rd line. Yeah that contract makes a lot of sense. NOT!

They won't be bottom pair defenseman in Florida. At least they better not be.

I never said these players weren't overpaid.

Versteeg's been traded three times because...
-Chicago had cap issues
-Toronto was a seller at the time and was able to get rid of his cap money + got a 1st and a 3rd for him
-Philadelphia...can't we just all agree that their moves this offseason are a bit...awkward?

Kopecky was a 4th liner in Detroit. A cup-winning team. Kopecky was a 4th liner in Chicago. A cup-winning team.
Last year, he played on the 2nd line with Hossa. Scored 42 points.
On your average team, Kopecky is much more of a 3rd liner because not every team has the talent of a Cup-winning team.

Overpaid? Absolutely. That doesn't mean he's an automatic 4th liner.

I agree with you about Bergenheim. We'll see if he can continue improving.

Again, Upshall is overpaid, as well. That still doesn't take away from the fact that he's fully capable of scoring 20+ goals. The Panthers are a better team with him than without him.

And Brian Campbell and Ed Jovanovski aren't bottom pairing defensemen on any team. They're certainly overpaid, but they're not bottom pairing defensemen. You must be joking with that comment.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said these players weren't overpaid.

Versteeg's been traded three times because...
-Chicago had cap issues
-Toronto was a seller at the time and was able to get rid of his cap money + got a 1st and a 3rd for him
-Philadelphia...can't we just all agree that their moves this offseason are a bit...awkward?

Kopecky was a 4th liner in Detroit. A cup-winning team. Kopecky was a 4th liner in Chicago. A cup-winning team.
Last year, he played on the 2nd line with Hossa. Scored 42 points.
On your average team, Kopecky is much more of a 3rd liner because not every team has the talent of a Cup-winning team.

Overpaid? Absolutely. That doesn't mean he's an automatic 4th liner.

I agree with you about Bergenheim. We'll see if he can continue improving.

Again, Upshall is overpaid, as well. That still doesn't take away from the fact that he's fully capable of scoring 20+ goals. The Panthers are a better team with him than without him.

And Brian Campbell and Ed Jovanovski aren't bottom pairing defensemen on any team. They're certainly overpaid, but they're not bottom pairing defensemen. You must be joking with that comment.

The biggest concern you should have about Versteeg is how he is viewed in the lockerroom. The Leafs traded him because Burke simply said he wasn't a good fit. Meaning lockerroom issues. The word in Philly was the same thing.

I cAnT wAtCh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The biggest concern you should have about Versteeg is how he is viewed in the lockerroom. The Leafs traded him because Burke simply said he wasn't a good fit. Meaning lockerroom issues. The word in Philly was the same thing.

He was a great fit the last time he played on Tallon's teams.

I think if Dale Tallon had to list some of his favorite players in the NHL, Versteeg would be near the top of the list. This trade was basically inevitable, as well; it's been rumored since Tallon got to Florida.

I'm not worried about him or the character of the team, for that matter. As long as we have talent and get some good goaltending from Theodore/Clemmensen, the team should be okay, imo.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nashville has traded Matt Lombardi & Cody Franson to the Leafs for a couple of prospects & a conditional 4th round pick. Then the Preds signed Nicolas Bergfors to a 1 year 575 thousand deal.

Is Lombardi healthy? I mean he made 3 million last year & played in 1 game. Now that's being overpaid.

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Underpaid...
Vokoun.

Good move by the Caps.

Homer underpaid, Boucher. If he allows Ward to rest for 25 games, good value. Barasso targeted Boucher specifically.