• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Over The Pick."

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good on the guy. Too often are internet message boards filled with guys who claim to know it all and call themselves "experts"

Here is a guy who wants to know more about a certain subject and is actually man enough to ask us.

He may be a dirty little Celtics fan, but hats off to Brahmsian :suds:

Not to mention, that is probably the easiest defensive principle to get confused. Heck, when I coached high school basketball I would get the 2 mixed up sometimes.

Fortunately, there are few things that teenagers enjoy more than correcting adults, so my team was there to make sure that I knew that I had mixed them up.:lol:

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pick and roll has been a basketball staple since Hector was a pup. It creates a dilemma for the defense. Chase the ball handler over the pick and give up the lane or go under the pick and give up the jumper. Switching on the pick creates mismatches. It's a great basketball motion.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pick and roll has been a basketball staple since Hector was a pup. It creates a dilemma for the defense. Chase the ball handler over the pick and give up the lane or go under the pick and give up the jumper. Switching on the pick creates mismatches. It's a great basketball motion.

True.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trying to be rude but how could you not figure that out? Whichever announcers you were listening to must be awful at explaining things.
I don't recall their ever having tried to explain it.

Being among the few people who don't already know is a bit embarrassing. I can usually explain things people watching a game with me don't comprehend and would like to be able to explain this if I should ever be asked.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I've got this correctly, when the player the pick is being set for goes to the defender's right then the defender also going right would be going OVER the screen. He would go left to go UNDER the screen.

Also it will usually be the Center setting a pick for a guard and a defensive guard having to make the "under or over" decision.

To rephrase something I've said before, most TV announcers operate on the assumption that the viewers already know enough about the terminology that they won't have to explain anything.

Nearsightedness, among other things, kept me from being on sports teams when I was a teenager in case anyone wonders why I wasn't already familiar with the lingo.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Left or right has nothing to do with it. It's this:

Over- The defender fights to get in between the screen setter and the ball handler to stay with his man

Under- The defender goes behind the screen setter, briefly leaving the ball handler, hoping to re-engage his man on the other side of the screen.

And it doesn't have to be the center. Lots of teams use the PF, especially a stretch 4 for pick and pops (Love, Dirk, Aldridge, etc). And Miami has some nifty Wade and Lebron picks. Heck, the NBA's offense has has advanced so much that the traditional center/PG pick is used as a decoy to start the actual play.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be the Center setting the pick more often than not though, won't it?

And if the defender's man goes right the defender won't get between his man and the pick-setter if he goes left, will he?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be the Center setting the pick more often than not though, won't it?

And if the defender's man goes right the defender won't get between his man and the pick-setter if he goes left, will he?

I'd say the majority of the time its the center but it really depends on the team.

And I'm not really sure what you mean by the second part. Direction has nothing to do with how the defender navigates the screen. He either has to go over or under (or get clobbered).

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Direction might not be part of the definition but in an actual game it makes a difference where decision making ia concerned.

In a game you can't be thinking about definitions.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Direction might not be part of the definition but in an actual game it makes a difference where decision making ia concerned.

In a game you can't be thinking about definitions.

They don't think about definitions, but direction doesn't matter. The screen is set to free one of the offensive players and it outs the defender in a position to where he has to make a decision.

If the defender decides to try and stay with his man (going over the screen) then the screener will either roll to the basket (the roll in pick and roll) or he will step outside to receive the ball for a jump shot (pick and pop).

If the defender decides to go behind the screener (going under the screen) then he risks leaving his man open for a jump shot before he can re-engage on the other side of the screen.

It doesn't matter if the player with the ball is going to his right or his left, the principle is the same.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'm clearer on this now, but will with hold further comment for tonight. I'm watching a hockey game nw and it will be followed by a basketball game, my late supper and a (hopefully) good night's sleep.

Thanks for your efforts.