• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT Detroit Pitcher Gets Fucked

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys should listen to some of the local sports talk show hacks. "Worst call in the history of sports, umpire should be fired, no sympathy, it makes me sick to see how people are empathizing with the ump, blah blah blah".

It's just a fucking game.

I agree, it's just a game, but look how powerful 'a game' can be! This one play was headlining almost every national news broadcast, yesterday. The world we live in WORSHIPS at the altar of sport.

When someone fucks with the altar, the natives get restless.

And BTW, if I ever get the chance, I will Give Jim "Jackass" Joyce a lungful of hell! Fuck You Joyce, and double fuck you Crackhead Selig.

Rant over... i feel better now.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would set a pretty dangerous precedent though. What if Cleveland had scored 4 runs after the blown call? Should they still reverse it and change the result of the game? I understand where you are coming from, but Gagne is right, they can't all of the sudden start changing umpires' calls like that. Where do you stop? .

It's a stat, not Brown v. Board of Education. I don't think there is any "dangerous" or important precedent here - it's a god damn baseball statistic for one out.

The MLB could totally state that baseball will not generally do this but due to the extreme circumstances (last out of the game, perfect game), they made an exception, and they will further examine their replay policies. Everyone's happy and they buy themselves more time to consider how they approach these things. Exceptions bear that name for a reason. There is nothing "dangerous" involved outside of upsetting the 1% of baseball fans that are complete dorks (who will forgive them anyway) and pleasing the vast majority of the populous that believes it should be overturned in this situation.

But baseball won't do that, because they are stuck in the dark ages and Bud Selig moves at the speed of a turtle.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kudos to MLB and the ump for admitting the mistake. It has been discussed here and in the "other place" that when a ref in the NFL makes a bad call the league will say so in it's Tuesday press release and issue an apology.

MLB has done the same and it seems like most fans are sympathetic towards the upm that is obviously upset over his call. Similar to the bad call made by Ed Hochli in the Denver Vs San Diego game a couple of years ago in the NFL. Hochli admitted his mistake and the fans respect that.

Hey NHL !! I hope you're watching because as so many fans have said it's easier to admit the mistake and move on instead of side stepping the issue and making up bogus excuses. Fans and players are more forgiving when the truth is spoken.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kudos to MLB and the ump for admitting the mistake. It has been discussed here and in the "other place" that when a ref in the NFL makes a bad call the league will say so in it's Tuesday press release and issue an apology.

MLB has done the same and it seems like most fans are sympathetic towards the upm that is obviously upset over his call. Similar to the bad call made by Ed Hochli in the Denver Vs San Diego game a couple of years ago in the NFL. Hochli admitted his mistake and the fans respect that.

Hey NHL !! I hope you're watching because as so many fans have said it's easier to admit the mistake and move on instead of side stepping the issue and making up bogus excuses. Fans and players are more forgiving when the truth is spoken.

Agreed, the behavior of both the pitcher and the ump here was pretty admirable. Mistakes are going to happen. Just admit and apologize.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But baseball won't do that, because they are stuck in the dark ages and Bud Selig moves at the speed of a turtle.

I was hoping a guy from Maryland would have used terrapin in place of turtle, alas it was not meant to be :p

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a stat, not Brown v. Board of Education. I don't think there is any "dangerous" or important precedent here - it's a god damn baseball statistic for one out.

The MLB could totally state that baseball will not generally do this but due to the extreme circumstances (last out of the game, perfect game), they made an exception, and they will further examine their replay policies. Everyone's happy and they buy themselves more time to consider how they approach these things. Exceptions bear that name for a reason. There is nothing "dangerous" involved outside of upsetting the 1% of baseball fans that are complete dorks (who will forgive them anyway) and pleasing the vast majority of the populous that believes it should be overturned in this situation.

So are you trying to tell me that this game was more important than game 6 of the 1985 World Series where a blown call most likely cost the St. Louis Cardinals the World Series? Should they reverse that call? Who wins the World Series then? Should we get all the guys back together and resume the game from the point of the blown call? I'm sorry, but you can't change the call. Circumstances aside it was just a regular season game. You may not think changing the call is important and no baseball is not as important as granting equal opportunity for people to learn regardless of race. But when it comes to baseball and baseball only, you have to uphold the calls of every umpire no matter how incorrect they are. Hopefully it does lead to an expansion of instant replay so umpires calls can be verified/overturned in game. But once the game is over that's it. There's no going back and changing it.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So are you trying to tell me that this game was more important than game 6 of the 1985 World Series where a blown call most likely cost the St. Louis Cardinals the World Series? Should they reverse that call? Who wins the World Series then? Should we get all the guys back together and resume the game from the point of the blown call? I'm sorry, but you can't change the call. Circumstances aside it was just a regular season game. You may not think changing the call is important and no baseball is not as important as granting equal opportunity for people to learn regardless of race. But when it comes to baseball and baseball only, you have to uphold the calls of every umpire no matter how incorrect they are. Hopefully it does lead to an expansion of instant replay so umpires calls can be verified/overturned in game. But once the game is over that's it. There's no going back and changing it.

If the umpires make a mistake based upon the rules of the game, not interpretation of the rules, a team can protest it and it may be granted. For example, a judgement call cannot be protested, but something like a botched double switch in the NL leading to a batter batting out of turn or a player staying in the game when he shouldn't have - these are not judgement calls, they are rules interpretations and they are protest-able. Balls and strikes, fair foul, safe out are not rules, they are umpire judgements

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the umpires make a mistake based upon the rules of the game, not interpretation of the rules, a team can protest it and it may be granted. For example, a judgement call cannot be protested, but something like a botched double switch in the NL leading to a batter batting out of turn or a player staying in the game when he shouldn't have - these are not judgement calls, they are rules interpretations and they are protest-able. Balls and strikes, fair foul, safe out are not rules, they are umpire judgements

I know, see post 71 :)

When I say you can't change the calls after the game I mean judgment calls, but I should have clarified.