• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Coming Soon!

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say growing up in the 80s or 90s in America was essentially the same thing, save for the occasional reminder in the 80s that at any second the red menace could bolt out of your TV set and cut your dog's head off.

It wasn't until the late 90s and beyond that childhoods really took a drastic turn from what we experienced thanks to the huge changes in technology and the occasional reminder that terrorists could bolt out of your flatscreen any second and cut your dog's head off.

I agree. Internet wasn't really a common thing, or at least it wasn't pervasive, until I was 14 or 15 (1996). Even then, we were really just downloading music, or playing Red Alert / Warcraft against each other, or trying to dowload ****. But most of my formative years were just biking around with friends, looking for trouble, playing board games, renting movies, trying to organize backyard tent sleepovers with girls without parents finding out, etc... And that childhood has a lot more to do with the 80s than what came after.

I found out recently that my birthyear (1982) is considered the boundary between Generation X / Millennials. I can see that. Most of my friends can associate with either. In general I'd say we're more Gen X at heart, but can deal with Millennials. My friends 5 years older can't. And my friends 5 years younger basically can't understand what it was like growing up pre-internet. Like how you had the one buddy who had to keep hockey pool records in some old notebook, and update them every morning from the paper.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Internet wasn't really a common thing, or at least it wasn't pervasive, until I was 14 or 15 (1996). Even then, we were really just downloading music, or playing Red Alert / Warcraft against each other, or trying to dowload ****. But most of my formative years were just biking around with friends, looking for trouble, playing board games, renting movies, trying to organize backyard tent sleepovers with girls without parents finding out, etc... And that childhood has a lot more to do with the 80s than what came after.

I found out recently that my birthyear (1982) is considered the boundary between Generation X / Millennials. I can see that. Most of my friends can associate with either. In general I'd say we're more Gen X at heart, but can deal with Millennials. My friends 5 years older can't. And my friends 5 years younger basically can't understand what it was like growing up pre-internet. Like how you had the one buddy who had to keep hockey pool records in some old notebook, and update them every morning from the paper.
I'm five years younger than you but our childhoods were similar still. Maybe I spent more time with an SNES but my folks got pissed if we didn't get out and enjoy ourselves.

Should mention that after Paul Bernardo they got much more worried about not having an eye on us, though.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I was born in '86 and didn't know jack shit about the internet until I was like 12, I was more into role playing games and Magic the gathering. I was a hardcore nerd, still am but I conceal it well.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should mention that after Paul Bernardo they got much more worried about not having an eye on us, though.

Its interesting u bring this up because i dont think theres ever been a decade like the 70's/80's when it comes to the attention, fear and paranoia of child abduction amongst society. Just growing up in the 80's you had the spectre of clifford olsen, the green river killer, ted bundy ... And it manifested in culture and movies like friday the 13th and nightmare on elm street ... 1 2 freddies coming for u

I started watching stranger things last night and in a way the first episode takes me back to all the tv movies of the week (u guys probably dont know what those are - lol) that dealt with child abduction ... The idea that a kid could be snatched and taken away was pretty pervasive when i grew up. And i think its a cause of what we have now in society. The cocooning of families, the safety of a locked home, how kids dont just do free play but instead have everything organized for them (play dates?)

Sad! Lol

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its interesting u bring this up because i dont think theres ever been a decade like the 70's/80's when it comes to the attention, fear and paranoia of child abduction amongst society. Just growing up in the 80's you had the spectre of clifford olsen, the green river killer, ted bundy ... And it manifested in culture and movies like friday the 13th and nightmare on elm street ... 1 2 freddies coming for u

I started watching stranger things last night and in a way the first episode takes me back to all the tv movies of the week (u guys probably dont know what those are - lol) that dealt with child abduction ... The idea that a kid could be snatched and taken away was pretty pervasive when i grew up. And i think its a cause of what we have now in society. The cocooning of families, the safety of a locked home, how kids dont just do free play but instead have everything organized for them (play dates?)

Sad! Lol
Yeah, the "golden age of serial killers" must've been absolutely terrifying to parents.

I grew up in the town next to the one that prick took Leslie Mahaffy from and I just remember after that all came to light everything getting much more tightened up - we started needing "bathroom buddies" in school, all of our mothers took us to get our fingerprints documented with Child Find, we weren't allowed to go to the neighbourhood park alone for a while...everything just got very tightened up.

Probably plays a big role in how parents parent today, but having all the access on earth to look up all the awful shit that's happened over the years likely doesn't help that much. To a point we're too informed for our own goods.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who here is old enough to remember the ABC after school special? I think it was usually on Wednesday.
I was born in '70. I remember after school specials, ABC weekend specials, and when Mr. Carlson tried to touch Dudley.

Gordon%2BJump.jpg

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grew up in the town next to the one that prick took Leslie Mahaffy from and I just remember after that all came to light everything getting much more tightened up - we started needing "bathroom buddies" in school, all of our mothers took us to get our fingerprints documented with Child Find, we weren't allowed to go to the neighbourhood park alone for a while...everything just got very tightened up.

but having all the access on earth to look up all the awful shit that's happened over the years likely doesn't help that much. To a point we're too informed for our own goods.

On that note (hard ot turn here)

At the little/minor league baseball association i played for growing up, the league equipment manager/team bus driver ended up killing a prostitute and carving her up, disposing of parts of her in the dumpster of a nearby blockbuster video (remember those?)

He was a "stalwart of the community". Was more heavily involved with the minor hockey association in my area. I googled his name and the hockey association still has his name listed as a recipient of a presidents service award on their website. Wtf???

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aww man. Cleary from the knick didnt last long :(

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On that note (hard ot turn here)

At the little/minor league baseball association i played for growing up, the league equipment manager/team bus driver ended up killing a prostitute and carving her up, disposing of parts of her in the dumpster of a nearby blockbuster video (remember those?)

He was a "stalwart of the community". Was more heavily involved with the minor hockey association in my area. I googled his name and the hockey association still has his name listed as a recipient of a presidents service award on their website. Wtf???
From what I understand, all bus drivers are psychopaths.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I understand, all bus drivers are psychopaths.

lol ... he wasnt a bus driver for a living ... he was a longshoreman (even better for psychopaths) ... he just had a class 2 license allowing him to drive buses ... when we were 16 (about 3 years before the murder) he drove us up to Penticton for a baseball tournament and dude just disappeared for 4 hours after dropping us off at the hotel ... finally arrived 30 mins before gametime to take us to the park ... i remember someone cracking a joke that he was probably out driving around looking for a hooker :o

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just saw the new Star Trek. I thought it was pretty good. Though seeing it for free and during work hours might have had something to do with it.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
ok - pop quiz time.
what was the worst movie you ever saw?

mine as Stir of Echoes (Kevin Bacon).
I would have walked out, if I hadn't have been watching it on an airplane.
(trues story, back in the day when you had a choice of one movie)