• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Bearcats

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A sloppy first half, and yet still win going away by 30. This team is deep. The foul trouble hurt in the 1st half, but having guys step up off the bench was big in keeping BGSU at bay. That depth flat out wore them out in the 2nd half, including a 20-something to 4 run to start the half.

Also, nice to see this team can shoot. Averaging over 53% shooting, and 45% from 3pt range. Getting it done. Defense is still there holding opponents to 32% and 27% from 3.

Cobb led with 20 on the strength of 6-3's, but Evans and Thomas both also had 10, and 4 others had 7, 7, 7, and 8...so pretty balanced after Cobb.

bphillips4gg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A rare November true road game for UC.

Though, just up the road at Bowling Green. Almost went to the game since I went to college there, but alas, too much going on here. They built a new arena about 4-5 years ago and it's great. Small, of course, but seats go right down to the floor. Went to a game there a few years ago and I could have just walked right onto the floor. Great sight-lines.

The game, though, shouldn't be close. Another blowout on tap.

I saw that arena when I took my son to lunch on the way home from the lake. To say it's a major improvement is an understatement. Their old gym was the a bigger shithole than a lot of high school gyms I've seen.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that arena when I took my son to lunch on the way home from the lake. To say it's a major improvement is an understatement. Their old gym was the a bigger shithole than a lot of high school gyms I've seen.
It's a great arena. I always say, it's like a major H.S. arena for a private H.S. team that is always a national powerhouse. That's not to dog BGSU (It is in the MAC) as a HS team, but the roughly 4-5K seats are perfect. But the entire design is great.

Honestly, it reminds me a lot of XU's arena, if you were to expand the Stroh center to that kind of capacity it would be a lot like that. Great sightlines, and right up to the action. Concourses are great, wide with plenty of room to get to where you need to go without feeling like you're sardines.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UC got a bit of a test last night. The other team would play the stall game and just hold onto the ball until there was little time left.

Nice to see Evans rising up to help put the game away. Every bit of experience for these young guys is going to help down the stretch come February and March.

Nebraska on Friday.

bphillips4gg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Ellis apparently still can't stay out of foul trouble, the offense is still capable of shooting <20% on 3s. Of course this team also has the depth to overcome foul trouble and can light it up out of nowhere as well, so that's a plus.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Ellis apparently still can't stay out of foul trouble, the offense is still capable of shooting <20% on 3s. Of course this team also has the depth to overcome foul trouble and can light it up out of nowhere as well, so that's a plus.
Cronin didn't seem to happy with the officiating last night. Not sure how a team with obvious size advantage only shoots 5 FT's all game long. That's a bit of a head scratcher, especially with the new rules.

But, those things are going to happen. Fouls, bad shooting nights, no-calls...the question is: Are you good enough to overcome those issues and win games.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another good win. Offense has cooled of, which isn't surprising as the competition has gotten slightly better.

GW beat UVA earlier this year, and Tenn, so they are not a bad squad.

Always good to see the defense is always there, even if the offense is not.

A big stretch coming up soon for UC. Butler, VUC, Iowa St, and X.

bphillips4gg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, UC got hosed by the refs tonight and dropped their first game. Probably still should've won, but having Ellis and Clark both in foul trouble didn't help anything. The second half was terribly officiated and both teams were in the bonus with 10:30 left to play. The shitty call on Ellis, followed by the fastest technical foul ever called seemed like a turning point in the game.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That kid is still walking on that last shot. Good god.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What an awful game.

Not only on the phantom fouls, but the clear offensive fouls that guard from Butler kept committing by shoving off with his left forearm. I'm all for freedom of movement on offense, but you can't clear out with your arm or push off while driving. Clear charges on several.

And yes, that kid took a minimum of 3 steps, and probably 4. There's no way that wasn't a travel. Not to mention he shoved off Ellis to get the loose ball.

Those refs were awful, and as rare as it is for me to really lay a lot of blame on them, they completely dictated the outcome of that game in the 2nd half with poor calls, non-calls, and of course, that Technical that literally came out of left field. The ref made a poor call, and then when Mick called him out on it, T'd him up. Disgraceful.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To his credit, Mick took the loss on himself. Said his team isn't tough enough. Won't let his guys use refs as an excuse when they're getting out-hustled by the other team.

Mick is a terrific coach. We're lucky to have him.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To his credit, Mick took the loss on himself. Said his team isn't tough enough. Won't let his guys use refs as an excuse when they're getting out-hustled by the other team.

Mick is a terrific coach. We're lucky to have him.
To that point, he is right. When's the last time UC gave up 78 at home? I mean, they didn't play defense the way they are capable. Now, maybe some of that was because of all the shitty calls in the 2nd half, but that is never going to fly because you can't say boo about it.

The only thing now is I wish they played XU next...knowing how focused this team will be on defense in their next game, I'd rather see that against XU than Norfolk State.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is SOFT.

Cronin needs to play the best players. I'm sick of seeing Johnson and Thomas out there. They're of no use.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team is SOFT.

Cronin needs to play the best players. I'm sick of seeing Johnson and Thomas out there. They're of no use.
Agreed 100%.

This team doesn't play defense, is lazy to the ball, and just thinks things are going to break their way without any real effort.

Caupain, Clark, and a freakin' freshman in Evans are the only real guys you can count on.

Cobb can shoot, but his defense sucks.

Ellis is a headcase. He's either charmin soft or getting kicked out of the game. He has no control.

Johnson passes the basketball like he's never done it before in his life.

This is a team loaded with talent and experience, and yet they don't listen to Cronin about rebounding and defense one iota. Cronin has lamented this all season. They are too concerned with scoring to be bothered with defense. It's going to bite them in the ass come March.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're going to lose to Temple at home. Good god.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the hell am I watching this..... I need a day without Cincinnati sports.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That guy on the other side of the court is open every damn time...and he never misses.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These guys stink.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cronin was as hot as I've heard him after the game. He actually just said "You know what Chuck, I just don't want to do this right now" and left the radio show.

Had some harsh words, but we'll see if it resonates with the players. This has got to be really hard for Cronin. Finally has his best offensively talented team, maybe ever, at UC and none of them want to play defense one iota.