• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Orioles sign Nelson Cruz

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah because is a light hitting, exception fielder is exactly what you need in a guy splitting time between LF and DH.

It is when Cruz is known to post a DRS well below average at this point in his career. Why not given the O's have a lead late? Just asking for more drama otherwise. Lough really should be in the field where his value would be. He would indeed be a horrible DH.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Way to miss the point. This isn't an either or proposition.

I get the point just fine. It's a stupid point.

Baltimore signed him as a (relatively) cheap source of right-handed power to stick at LF and DH, between two lefties. Defense has become horribly overrated with all the Bill James acolytes but his defensive ability just won't be all that important when he's riding the pine while his team is in the field. It's not like he'll be playing SS.

They could have gone with an elite hitter/fielder instead but I don't know how many of those are available, especially for about $8M, but the money they spent on that prowess in the field would be completely wasted on a LF/DH.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess team's weren't willing to go all in on a guy that's not great in the field and whose biggest asset is his power bat which was no doubt enhanced by being sauced up. Take him off the sauce, factor in his age and lackluster defense plus the fact you'd have to cough up a pick and yeah this guy wasn't going to get a ton of interest.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the point just fine. It's a stupid point.

Baltimore signed him as a (relatively) cheap source of right-handed power to stick at LF and DH, between two lefties. Defense has become horribly overrated with all the Bill James acolytes but his defensive ability just won't be all that important when he's riding the pine while his team is in the field. It's not like he'll be playing SS.

They could have gone with an elite hitter/fielder instead but I don't know how many of those are available, especially for about $8M, but the money they spent on that prowess in the field would be completely wasted on a LF/DH.

Can't argue with that. On the other hand, when he is in the OF and a ball is hit over his head, be prepared for an adventure!

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cruz has a deathly fear of the wall. He hits the warning track and drops his eyes. Get ready BWI. He will make an amazing sliding grab, then short arm a routine deep pop fly.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess team's weren't willing to go all in on a guy that's not great in the field and whose biggest asset is his power bat which was no doubt enhanced by being sauced up. Take him off the sauce, factor in his age and lackluster defense plus the fact you'd have to cough up a pick and yeah this guy wasn't going to get a ton of interest.

Interestingly enough, by the numbers it doesn't actually appear Cruz's power was enhanced by PED's. The year in question or the year we know for certain he used PEDs, he posted career low numbers when you factor in ABs. Also, if you take into account the numbers he was putting up before he was suspended, he was on his way to a career high season in both HRs and RBI. I suppose he still could have been on PEDs but he had the spotlight on him then more than ever... he still produced nonetheless. I actually believe him, I think he used them to help him put back on weight for the season quickly. He had lost a ton of weight with a bad stomache virus early that off season.

I look for him to have a good season with the Os personally.

Lord Scalious

Shut up World
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lough will be out there a lot more than Cruz, IMO. So, i'm not as worried about the defensive element. Though it still matters, obviously.

AL league average OBP is right at .320 the last 2 years. Which right around what Cruz gives. While his OBP is not an asset. Its not really a detriment like some other Power one trick Ponies. So the Power he gives makes him an overall good hitter.

I would have prefer'd Morales to fill the DH role and Lough Full time LF. But, Cruz for 8 Million is too much of a bargain to pass up. Since Morales is probably still demanding a good amount of $$$.

Wonder if he will fire is agent? He lost 6 Mil straight up for balking the qualifying offer and over-playing his Market.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lough will be out there a lot more than Cruz, IMO. So, i'm not as worried about the defensive element. Though it still matters, obviously.

AL league average OBP is right at .320 the last 2 years. Which right around what Cruz gives. While his OBP is not an asset. Its not really a detriment like some other Power one trick Ponies. So the Power he gives makes him an overall good hitter.

I would have prefer'd Morales to fill the DH role and Lough Full time LF. But, Cruz for 8 Million is too much of a bargain to pass up. Since Morales is probably still demanding a good amount of $$$.

Wonder if he will fire is agent? He lost 6 Mil straight up for balking the qualifying offer and over-playing his Market.

Then again, he isn't playing an 'average offensive' OBP position. I haven't looked it up for the past 2 years, but corner outfield and DH positions tend to have a higher than average OBP than the league average (which tend to be brought down by catchers and middle infielders). So he may be below average in OBP compared to the rest of his position.

Lord Scalious

Shut up World
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then again, he isn't playing an 'average offensive' OBP position. I haven't looked it up for the past 2 years, but corner outfield and DH positions tend to have a higher than average OBP than the league average (which tend to be brought down by catchers and middle infielders). So he may be below average in OBP compared to the rest of his position.

LF is .322, DH is .323 last year. 2012 it was .326

That is MLB. I specifically did AL OBP since that gives you an idea to his Value in a lineup for an AL offense.

If we are comparing him with his Peers and how he measures up. I take both leagues into account.

Last edited by a moderator:

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cruz will see the DH role more than LF. With Lough & Riemold who are better defensive players, they will get majority of the innings in LF. If Riemold bounces back, he has plenty of pop himself. With enough AB's he could hit 20+ HR's himself from the #8 or #9 spot in the order.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cruz will see the DH role more than LF. With Lough & Riemold who are better defensive players, they will get majority of the innings in LF. If Riemold bounces back, he has plenty of pop himself. With enough AB's he could hit 20+ HR's himself from the #8 or #9 spot in the order.

I like Reimold, but he'll probably be on the DL by sometime in May.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice acquisition. His numbers will be down hitting in baltimore but in that lineup he should have many rbi opportunities and the o's snagged him for one year under ten? Not bad, not bad at all.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. 1/$8M seems reasonable, but I'd hardly call it a bargain.

Cruz might not even be the most overrated player on his own team (Markakis).

Whos overrating either of these guys?

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone's feelings on Nelson Cruz changed over the first quarter of the season or so?

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's kilin' it this year.

Best signing of the off-season.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone's feelings on Nelson Cruz changed over the first quarter of the season or so?

Key word. It wouldn't really be surprising if he hit 40 home runs. But his HR/FB rate is well above his career norms, so he probably isn't going to sustain that .663 SLG% and 60+ HR pace.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Key word. It wouldn't really be surprising if he hit 40 home runs. But his HR/FB rate is well above his career norms, so he probably isn't going to sustain that .663 SLG% and 60+ HR pace.

I think it's fair to say he's not going to hit 60 home runs but so what?

When did 60 home runs become the threshold a player needs to pass through to become more then "meh"?

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If some players don't start hitting around him his walks (IBB) are probably gonna skyrocket. That is, if he plays all season with the O's. If the O's keep floundering like they are, a trade might be in the future if the right package is presented in return.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cruz just got hit in the hand by a Feldman pitch and had to leave the game.