• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Opposite George and Why Aaron Rodgers will Ground the Jets

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All those years in Green Bay and Rodgers gets to and wins one Super Bowl. One. Those teams had great offenses and great defenses. Now he’s going to go to the Jets, that are not as good on offense or defense, and now he’s going to win Super Bowls? LMAO! Sure.
Am I crazy or do the Jets have a better defense than 90% of those Green Bay teams? I see Rodgers as that late-career game manager QB role. He moves the chains and doesn't get Ints and the Jets stay healthy then they have a playoff roster.

The one issue I see with the Jets is that they are one oline injury away from Rodgers being worthless imo. I only caught 2 Jets games last year but their QB play and oline play were both some of the worst in the league. The Jets oline does have some high upside imo but low downside. You could argue that for a lot of teams, though.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I crazy or do the Jets have a better defense than 90% of those Green Bay teams? I see Rodgers as that late-career game manager QB role. He moves the chains and doesn't get Ints and the Jets stay healthy then they have a playoff roster.

The one issue I see with the Jets is that they are one oline injury away from Rodgers being worthless imo. I only caught 2 Jets games last year but their QB play and oline play were both some of the worst in the league. The Jets oline does have some high upside imo but low downside. You could argue that for a lot of teams, though.

lots of people believe the jets defense is elite... and going into the season it is elite on paper...

But as a pessimistic Jets fan, i dont know what to believe...

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I crazy or do the Jets have a better defense than 90% of those Green Bay teams?

I think you might be slightly crazy. Especially these last few years, the GB defense has looked pretty stellar.

Jets haven't been to the playoffs in 13 years.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lots of people believe the jets defense is elite... and going into the season it is elite on paper...

But as a pessimistic Jets fan, i dont know what to believe...
I think there is a better argument for the Jets being good next year than the Broncos being good last year.

That said, the Bills have been one of the best teams in football over the past few seasons and the Dolphins pushed all their chips in on the team to win now so imo Rodgers is quite possibly entering the toughest division he has ever played in and possibly the toughest in the NFL. I think if I was a Jets fan I would be a little upset at the team going all in right now of all years.

Last edited:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you might be slightly crazy. Especially these last few years, the GB defense has looked pretty stellar.

To my knowledge, Packers fans hate their defensive coordinator with a passion.

There is a guy on youtube named 'Franchise Guy' who ranks teams every year and he is a Packers fan. He has their d coordinator ranked 32nd, pass rush 6th, LB coverage 12th, DB coverage 10th, DL run defense 18th, LB run defense 29th, overall defense 20th.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What analysts? This is an awful take by them.
Cant recall their names. But on local ESPN radio, on consecutive days, 2 different national reporters expressed similar comments.
Might be worth noting they both did qualify their comments with "in the NFC North."

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They faked it looking better than they were by running so much and shortening games.

Jets have more talent.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They faked it looking better than they were by running so much and shortening games.

Jets have more talent.

Somebody should teach the Jets how to fake it into the playoffs.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant recall their names. But on local ESPN radio, on consecutive days, 2 different national reporters expressed similar comments.
Might be worth noting they both did qualify their comments with "in the NFC North."
That doesn't make it any better.

Jefferson, Moore, St. Brown

And two of those teams added first round weapons as well.

It's a crazy take. Dillon and Jones play one position, but there are 4 other prime positions on offense that make up a QBs "weapons" and the Packers are whack across the board.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK you win. Crown the Jets champs right now and forego the season.

p.s. you have a Rodgers pubic on your chin
The AFC is stacked. The Jets probably won't make it, but this is their best shot because they finally got the QB.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The AFC is stacked. The Jets probably won't make it, but this is their best shot because they finally got the QB.

I disagree but that's cool. I see this being a Favre-II type of experiment with Aaron in NY. He sure looked like he was in decline last year and, while I could be totally wrong about this, he doesn't come off as the type of guy that players follow.

Should be interesting.

Dalvin Cook is supposedly meeting with the Jets this week as well.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt put this in the op:

Rodger & the Packers finished as the number 1 or number 2 playoff seed 5 times. With a first round playoff bye, all Rodgers had to do was guide them to 2 consecutive playoff wins and they are in the Super Bowl. He has never done that as a 1 or 2 seed.

Rodgers is 11-10 in the playoffs.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see this being a Favre-II type of experiment with Aaron in NY. He sure looked like he was in decline last year and, while I could be totally wrong about this, he doesn't come off as the type of guy that players follow.
I see all of this coming into play, too, although the disaster scenario there sounds a bit more like Russell Wilson on the Broncos where a combination of ego, decline, and a change of scenery makes for a bad team.

That said, I think the surrounding talent is a bit better than the Broncos and I dont think Rodgers has the built in height weakness that Wilson has so there are limits to how bad Rodgers can play.

The big variable to me was on how injured Rodgers was last year. His throws were off. Just no way around that. If it was just an injury then the Jets are going to be a real contender imo. Rodgers had 4 straight years of taking care of the football before his lackluster year last year. 10 years of taking care of the football in his career compared to 5 where he was more Favre-esque. Still decent odds that Rodgers can be decent enough.

Worth mentioning that Favre did go 9-7 on the Jets. For the Jets, thats a great season

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree but that's cool. I see this being a Favre-II type of experiment with Aaron in NY. He sure looked like he was in decline last year and, while I could be totally wrong about this, he doesn't come off as the type of guy that players follow.

Should be interesting.

That’s very silly of a take. No matter what a legendary HOFer is going to get the team to follow him. Just like Favre did. But Favre was a special case because he made it clear he didn’t want to be there. And he got in trouble. Including a dick pic.

That made Favre lose the locker room quickly. But let’s not pretend Favre didn’t have the locker room beforehand.

It’s Rogers team, and he will only lose the locker room if he wants to lose it.

Sure, he is not Brady. Brady went to TB and changed the environment there. Rodgers is not going to do that. He is going to be more of a diva and more about him. But that doesn’t mean he won’t have his players!!

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Should be interesting.

You want it to fail and that clouds your thinking.

Rodgers won MVPs the previous two seasons at age 37 and 38. Then they took away his top WR and he had garbage. Wilson could be Devante level. I was impressed.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rodgers won MVPs the previous two seasons at age 37 and 38. Then they took away his top WR and he had garbage. Wilson could be Devante level. I was impressed.

there is a lot of reasons to think this may not work... but to say that the players wont follow Rodgers, and do whatever he wants, is just not a valid argument IMO...

the jets skill players are THRILLED to have a future HOFer...

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I remember not being too impressed with Garrett Wilson when I first saw his highlights in college but when I dug into his film and then saw the combine numbers and put everything together I thought he was a clear stud. Wilson is really good at catching outside of his frame which i figured was just a helpful college thing but not really a huge deal in the pros but when you factor in Rodgers and how much trust matters to his game I think it could end up being a big combination next year.

That said, Davante Adams and Christian Watson athletically are close to unicorns. Torry Holt made a career out of guys throwing yolo balls and just being fast so I could see maybe something similar with Wilson on the Jets.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well I re-read alot of stuff, and realized I kinda contradicted myself..

I totally agreed with Joe's post, and then went and said I think Rodgers could be a top 10 QB.

To clarify-
what I think he WILL do, is entirely different than what I think he still CAN do and what Jets fans SHOULD have expectation for considering what they gave up to get him..
I believe Rodgers still has the physical ability to be a top 10 QB, I do not think he will, because I think his last 'give a fuck', flew off about the time he didn't get traded to the Broncos- so as it relates to fantasy terms-yes I'd take a later round flyer with Rodgers as my QB2 because of what I think he CAN still do on any given week, I would NOT want Rodgers to be my plan A, even if my plan A was to have 2 decent middle ground QB's who I played matchups with, I wouldn't want to be banking on Rodgers