• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part IV - A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tumblr_lvjoxiEFe61r6h2lao2_400.gif

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Sens fan I'm getting more and more happy with this deal. We got a #1C without giving up any of our top 5 prospects (I'd argue top 8 prospects). To get Duchene and still have White, Chabot and Brown coming up is awesome to me. The 1st round pick is top 10 protected too, so if this year goes completely off the rails we don't miss a chance at Dahlin/Svechnikov.

And @forty_three said it best, Sakic got some magic beans. We'll see what he can do with them. Avalanche rebuild v.14.0 has now been activated.

I think this deal works for all teams on some level. I really like Nashville's chances now. Turris is not a true #1C but he's a damn good #2C. He should do really well behind RyJo. Team to beat out west, IMO.
I guess I’m seeing it in the opportunity cost perspective – Duchene is better than Turris but by how much isn’t exactly set in stone.

On the flip, Ottawa’s got Johnny Oduya skating alongside Erik Karlsson, who hasn’t exactly been the poster boy for good health the past few years. If a really good d-man becomes available between now and the deadline Ottawa no longer has the capital (at least the capital they want to trade) to upgrade there. I’m not sure wasting that opportunity is worth what most optimistically may be a 10 point upgrade on Turris. But we’ll find out.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I’m seeing it in the opportunity cost perspective – Duchene is better than Turris but by how much isn’t exactly set in stone.

On the flip, Ottawa’s got Johnny Oduya skating alongside Erik Karlsson, who hasn’t exactly been the poster boy for good health the past few years. If a really good d-man becomes available between now and the deadline Ottawa no longer has the capital (at least the capital they want to trade) to upgrade there. I’m not sure wasting that opportunity is worth what most optimistically may be a 10 point upgrade on Turris. But we’ll find out.

LOL at the Oduya situation. Ottawa has 3 players in the minors who would be an upgrade on Oduya right now. And Claesson is starting to take more of Oduya's minutes on the top pairing. Defensive depth is not a worry of any sane Sens fan right now. Like at all.

I do agree that if they want to upgrade anything between now and the deadline they're down to using assets that actually are important to their team/future. That's the only con I really see to this deal right now. I think Duchene is quite a bit better than Turris and I'm a fan of Turris. We'll have to see but I like the go for it mentality.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL at the Oduya situation. Ottawa has 3 players in the minors who would be an upgrade on Oduya right now. And Claesson is starting to take more of Oduya's minutes on the top pairing. Defensive depth is not a worry of any sane Sens fan right now. Like at all.
While everyone on Ottawa was getting more minutes at the start of the year because of Karlsson's injury it is worth pointing out that Claesson went from averaging 20+ mins a game to around 15 mins since Oct 20 and 13 mins the past two games while Oduya's been pretty steady in the 18-20 minute mark.

I haven't watched any Ottawa games since the one vs. Toronto save a period against Vegas on Saturday but going by NST's stats it seems Phaneuf and Oduya have been getting the most ice time alongside Karlsson in the past 3 games. Given that two of those games were pretty bad on Ottawa defensively it may be approaching time for some action there.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rick Nash recently played his 1000th NHL game.

Pretty classy of the Rangers organization to wait until the Jackets are in town to acknowledge it. John Davidson helped in the presentation.

Yeah, I just said "classy" and "Rangers" in the same sentence. I feel ill.

Reactions: gob

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to Nash on his 1000th game. He's had a solid career, don't know if it's Hall of Fame worthy though.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anaheim is in tough now. Do they become sellers or try to replace Getz?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anaheim is in tough now. Do they become sellers or try to replace Getz?

There's a 50 point centre in Toronto that Carlyle seems to be a fan of who could be available. Just sayin' :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.