• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a trade deadline thread? Maybe a mod can start and sticky one, but until then, might as well post here:

Don't know much about Hainsey, but he isn't someone that jumped out to me as a target, and definitely not for a 2nd round pick. But with Maatta and Daley out long term, and Shultz being an unknown, we definitely needed some added depth, so it is what it is.

What's interesting now, is that Maatta and Daley combine for just over 7 million in LTIR, and are projected to come back right around the playoffs. If they can *coincidentally* stay injured until Game 1, that gives the pens a lot of flexibility to add salary for a cup run. (Chicago did the same thing when they won their 2nd or 3rd cup, with Kane coming back for Game 2 of the first round, I believe.) Now, I don't know if the Pens have the assets to give away, but they could try to target some high-salary pending UFAs that other contenders simply can't afford to add. Should be interesting, and we'll see how creative GMJR can get.

It seems like everytime Ray Ferraro is on local radio here in Vancouver he says Pittsburgh should go after Jannik Hansen and that hed be the perfect acquisition for them ( Ferraro: Would Pittsburgh take a look at Hansen? )

the name he has mentioned coming this way is Derek Pouliot (and a pick) ... whats Pouliots status with the Pens considering their injuries on D? ... has he been called up or is he not even an option to play with the Pens in their minds. Also whats his expansion draft status? Does he need to be protected?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like everytime Ray Ferraro is on local radio here in Vancouver he says Pittsburgh should go after Jannik Hansen and that hed be the perfect acquisition for them ( Ferraro: Would Pittsburgh take a look at Hansen? )

the name he has mentioned coming this way is Derek Pouliot (and a pick) ... whats Pouliots status with the Pens considering their injuries on D? ... has he been called up or is he not even an option to play with the Pens in their minds. Also whats his expansion draft status? Does he need to be protected?

As far as I know Pouliot is toiling in the A, but I've seen him play a game this season for the Pens. He looked underwhelming considering how much I thought he was going to be a beast coming out of junior.

He's in his third pro season so yes I would assume he would need to be protected.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks kenny

this below doesnt deal with any expansion draft implications at all and just summarizes that Poulliot isnt done in Pittsburgh ... if they dont trade him and if Pens figure out the Fleury Murray sitch, would Poulliot be the guy to likely be claimed by Vegas?

Is Pouliot Done in Pittsburgh?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hansen would be a great pick up for the Pens though.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hainsey's best days are behind him for sure but he's decent. I don't value 2nd rounders as much others (they have about a 50% chance of playing 200 games int he NHL) but I think that's a bit pricy for Hainsey.

Fucking Pens!! Way to set the market high. :mad2: :heh:

Yeah, it's nuts that the Pens got Shultz for a 3rd last year (also 50% retained); everyone thought that was a stupid overpayment, and now he's turned his career around and has been our best D this season. (Yes, better than Letang, he plays simpler and is a better PPQB.) But I guess with Hainsey you know what you were getting, and with injuries, GMJR was in a tight spot. I also wonder if he didn't have a soft spot for a previous player of his (I assumed he picked him up as GM of Carolina) who has the record for career GP without a playoff appearance.

I'm pretty sure he needs to be protected, but not sure he would be on LV's radar. I'm on the HF penguins board a lot, and he gets discussed often. While it's disappointing he hasn't cut the NHL roster yet, the understanding seems to be that he's turned it around of late, but that mgmt feels they rushed him last time, and he would be better served getting big minutes in the AHL. If he were playing up, he would either be getting 3rd pair minutes when the roster is healthy, or get exposed playing top pair minutes. It seems that urgency and decision making (not talent) are his issues, and the Pens would rather let him develop those than rush it, even if they need him right now.

That said, I think if a trade is offered for him, the Pens take it, but not at a huge discount.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pouliot has been a weird case...when he was first called up two seasons ago he showed some real flash. I remember a game he had in San Jose where he was fantastic. I think the Pens are responsible for some of his problems though, he needed to be in the A playing and they had him playing barely any minutes in the NHL. I definitely think he's not in bust territory yet, but he needs to go somewhere else...and needs to be playing consistently. People have read into him not being called up in this recent injury slew on D, but I think a lot of it is giving the kid some consistency. He's still young, although it's bananas that he and Maatta are the same age.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Filip Forsberg has 5 goals in less than a period of actual game play over the last two games.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7 shootout losses now for the Leafs. Win just 3 of those and they are 1 point back of the Habs for the division lead.

Shootouts suck.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Gotta feel good for Hainsey. Almost 900 games without ever seeing the playoffs

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only thought with the Ron Hainsey deal was kiss the Penguins playoff chances good-bye!

Seriously it is more a need and truly it was GMJR trying to get Ron a guarantee into the playoffs for the first time.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Let me add his ability on the PK and durability is desperately needed for the Penguins.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Filip Forsberg has 5 goals in less than a period of actual game play over the last two games.

they should give out a Safeway score and win for that one

/on that note: Martin Erat ... probably working at Safeway :noidea:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Habs booed off the ice last night - Maybe Claude Boo-lien isn't the answer?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eaves to the ducks for a second rounder

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the Habs lost again last night. As I thought it was more than the coach plaguing that team.

Status
Not open for further replies.