• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

One of the Worst Rules in All of Sports

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. The officials on the field got it wrong when they ruled TD and replay got it wrong when they ruled touchback. By rule the ball is out-of-bounds when either the ball touches out-of-bounds or the ball is touched by a player who is out-of-bounds. Clearly Gurley fumbles the ball at or inside the 1-yard line. Clearly the ball touches the pylon to be out-of-bounds in the endzone when not possessed. However, although Gurley loses control of the ball he touches out-of-bounds before he ceases to touch the ball. Since he touches the ball whilst out-of-bounds the play should have been dead at that point. Rams ball, 1st and goal inside the 1-yard line.

View attachment 167750

View attachment 167752

Good point. I hadn't seen a shot of him in contact with the ball while also touching out of bounds.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I understand

Elbow=player is down, play ober
Knee= same thing
2 feet=

I was on board with your post as I viewed the first pic. But your close up clearly shows the ball is loose and coming out of his hand. Now it's a matter of which came first, the ball coming loose or the foot hitting out of bounds.
A player out of bounds doesn't have to control the ball. All he needs to do is touch it. Play over at that point. Ball should've been placed on the one.

Has anyone heard what the NFL has/had to say about this play? Usually Blandino or someone comes on a few days later and tells us their opinion. I didn't see or hear anything on this.

Is it just me or does Seattle play in more games that have controversial calls?

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A player out of bounds doesn't have to control the ball. All he needs to do is touch it. Play over at that point. Ball should've been placed on the one.

Has anyone heard what the NFL has/had to say about this play? Usually Blandino or someone comes on a few days later and tells us their opinion. I didn't see or hear anything on this.

Is it just me or does Seattle play in more games that have controversial calls?

It's not you.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have an idea, how about not fumbling the ball? You don't have to worry about the rule if you control the ball.

On the plus side, this rule has resulted in 2 incredibly athletic and heads-up plays by Earl Thomas, saving 2 TDs with his karate chop action vs the Rams.

The rule is fine. You want to score? Earn it. Don't rely on the refs awarding you a mulligan because a defender played harder than you did at the goal line.

And for the record, I think the fact that a team can fumble at all, have the ball roll passed the line to gain and recover it for a 1st down is far more egregious than this one.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have an idea, how about not fumbling the ball? You don't have to worry about the rule if you control the ball.

On the plus side, this rule has resulted in 2 incredibly athletic and heads-up plays by Earl Thomas, saving 2 TDs with his karate chop action vs the Rams.

The rule is fine. You want to score? Earn it. Don't rely on the refs awarding you a mulligan because a defender played harder than you did at the goal line.

And for the record, I think the fact that a team can fumble at all, have the ball roll passed the line to gain and recover it for a 1st down is far more egregious than this one.
You realize if the correct call was made this is all for not. He was OB touching the ball. The ball is dead on the 1-2 yard line.

rightstuff

Trump convicted on Washing Money.LOL.
Hoopla Cash
$ 13.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You realize if the correct call was made this is all for not. He was OB touching the ball. The ball is dead on the 1-2 yard line.

What's your thoughts on the TD taken away from the Jets on this same call?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's your thoughts on the TD taken away from the Jets on this same call?
I already posted it on the game thread. I don't like the rule. I never said I liked the rule or thought the rule was correct.

The biggest difference on the Gurley play was Gurley was OB touching the ball before the EZ.

rightstuff

Hoopla Cash
$ 13.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already posted it on the game thread. I don't like the rule. I never said I liked the rule or thought the rule was correct.

The biggest difference on the Gurley play was Gurley was OB touching the ball before the EZ.

Whatever dude.

I KNEW you would make an excuse or TWO of some type.
And you did just that.

Jets got SCREWED.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever dude.

I KNEW you would make an excuse or TWO of some type.
And you did just that.

Jets got SCREWED.
You must be a typical circa 2006 Seahawk fan?
1. I didn't make an excuse for either instance.
2. Replay clearly shows Gurley OB touching the ball prior to the EZ. Play is dead at that point. I forgot you're new. Maybe this is where you're confused. Gurley is a RB for the Rams.
3. I said I didn't like the rule.

keep watching football there are a lot of rules. It takes time to learn them. Don't get frustrated you'll get there:thumb:

rightstuff

Hoopla Cash
$ 13.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must be a typical circa 2006 Seahawk fan?
1. I didn't make an excuse for either instance.
2. Replay clearly shows Gurley OB touching the ball prior to the EZ. Play is dead at that point. I forgot you're new. Maybe this is where you're confused. Gurley is a RB for the Rams.
3. I said I didn't like the rule.

keep watching football there are a lot of rules. It takes time to learn them. Don't get frustrated you'll get there:thumb:

lol.

1) you didn't state if you thought the correct call was made on ASJ and the Jets.
ASJ is the TE that went to college at UW.
2) Replay clearly doesn't show what you claim to see. When Gurley foot hits, he was losing possession.
3) In a different case, When a guy fumbles at the 2, and the ball goes through the EZ, what should be the call?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol.

1) you didn't state if you thought the correct call was made on ASJ and the Jets.
ASJ is the TE that went to college at UW.
2) Replay clearly doesn't show what you claim to see. When Gurley foot hits, he was losing possession.
3) In a different case, When a guy fumbles at the 2, and the ball goes through the EZ, what should be the call?
1. I don't believe I was directly asked if I thought the ASJ call was the correct call or not? We were discussing AR being brittle then it morphed into this.
1a. Do you mean on the field or back in NY?
2. Sorry you're wrong it CLEARLY shows Gurley's fingers still touching the ball while his foot lands out of bounds. If you choose not to admit that we'll just have agree to disagree.
3. Are you asking what I think the call should be or what the rulebook says?

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The worst rule in all of sports is in Basketball.

Offensive charging but the basket counts.

WTF?

You took the shot from a position you had no business being in. That's like holding but the TD counts. I've simply never understood that one.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the rule. Jets got hosed. Glad we won but thats a shitty rule

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another one was (I believe the Chiefs game) the player was ruled DOWN by contact and the ball came out but they blew the whistle, yet it was challenged and overturned as it was a turn-over. Thought once person was ruled down by contact it couldn't be challenged.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

By extending the ball and losing possession that hardly means the defender "played harder" than the ball carrier did. And that's what I've been talking about, a guy extending the ball and losing possession. There is no reason it should carry such a severe penalty when the exact same play at the 40 goes back to the offense at the point of the fumble.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best I could see of it was that he really didn't have control of the ball in the end zone, losing it before he got there. And when he finally did he was out of bounds. At that point it takes more than a micro-second to establish control. I guess

So I would think it was an incomplete pass. How it got into the Patriots possession is a neat trick. :)

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was nice to see a Packer get "Dezzed" yesterday.....

Even though Dez caught his ball and the Packer didn't....

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for a crappy rule that favors the defense, with all the preferential treatment the offense gets these days.

flyingelvis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree the Jets got hosed. I am not sure why that's not simply an incomplete pass. I think the replay official got it right. It's the rule that's idiotic.