• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Omniscience League I - Main Thread

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Bandit, my week 12 intentional flop versus Milk means you miss out. Give credit where due.

It is funny you say that…

Because my original plan was to try to get the bye.

But, after week 10 when Molsan and I were both 8-2, you were 7-3 and Molsan had me on points, I was ready to concede the top spot and load up on weeks 15 and 16.

Then you grabbed Wilson and Davis to pair with Huntley. I realized that there was no way I was beating you on week 15 and I was also highly likely to match up with you there.

So the only option was to recommit to playing for that bye.

That helps explain why you were complaining about divisions. I actually felt having them made it easier for me to pick a lane--really that is mainly speaking of week 12 onward though. I'll comment more on playoff stashes at a later time.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@wilwhite

Players aren’t on waivers

Accidentally picked somebody up

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I know we're gonna talk about some of the Good, Bad and Ugly with this league but I've been thinking.............might be better if there was a way to NOT know how much the other team was gonna score every week. Sure that is impossible but would make it a bit more suspenseful.......lol.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I know we're gonna talk about some of the Good, Bad and Ugly with this league but I've been thinking.............might be better if there was a way to NOT know how much the other team was gonna score every week. Sure that is impossible but would make it a bit more suspenseful.......lol.
It’s not completely impossible, but the commissioner couldn’t participate. Waivers would probably have to by PM, and when your claim failed you wouldn’t know who had taken your player. So you wouldn’t really know your opponent’s roster.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don’t know man.

I think that is a pretty important part of this league. Knowing where you stand. Also a huge advantage to the teams that do their homework, as it should be, IMO.

There is suspense still, just comes in different forms at different times.

Who is going to get those high scorers off waivers? When will your rival take a key loss? Who is going to pull the trigger first on the spike player you are eying?

Is this league a bit anti-climactic?

Yes. But that is okay, IMO.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do not draft the best team you can without using the WW. That plan did not work

Honestly?

Kind of shocked so many went with that strategy. I am sure it was more a time investment issue than a strategy issue, but still.

We know who all the 1 week spikes are, and a lot of those guys were never even used.

A player who averages 10 fantasy points a game has no value as a hold all season because there are always guys available who can get you 10, and often more. And the more roster flexibility you have, the further you can reach to take those players.

IMO, there were maybe 40-50 players worth holding all season. Maybe not even that many.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly?

Kind of shocked so many went with that strategy. I am sure it was more a time investment issue than a strategy issue, but still.

We know who all the 1 week spikes are, and a lot of those guys were never even used.

A player who averages 10 fantasy points a game has no value as a hold all season because there are always guys available who can get you 10, and often more. And the more roster flexibility you have, the further you can reach to take those players.

IMO, there were maybe 40-50 players worth holding all season. Maybe not even that many.
I thought it was going to be a best ball-like configuration. My fault for not investigating more, but I was the "in case of emergency" guy.

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly?

Yeah I caught onto that pretty quick...........I did hold Penny all year just fer these next couple of weeks and was taking St Brown with my next pick right before he got snagged. Not sure I could have held them both though.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I caught onto that pretty quick...........I did hold Penny all year just fer these next couple of weeks and was taking St Brown with my next pick right before he got snagged. Not sure I could have held them both though.

Right. It is a balancing act there.

Roster space to win early, end of season studs to get the title.

Too much of either and your plan will surely fail.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted to do twelve teams mostly because of what it would teach us about regular 12-team FF. For future iterations any size is fine as long as all the owners are active. I’m happy to see that it can stay competitive late.

Getting a bye in the first playoff round is a huge advantage in the second round. Probably better to have a slightly longer season and only four playoff teams.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. It is a balancing act there.

Roster space to win early, end of season studs to get the title.

Too much of either and your plan will surely fail.

Easier said than done though. Scheduling is really key in this league. Once you can guarantee your playoff spot you can worry about the playoffs. But some of us had trouble making the playoffs.

Really my biggest bugaboo with this league was that it was not about the draft at all it was all about free agents and waivers. Next time I would definitely put a maximum on adds/drops.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also. There is no reason not to do 18 weeks in this league. zero reason not to.