• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Omar's Album Reviews of The Rolling Stones' Top 500 Albums (and some other albums too)

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Abbey Road: 4/5 stars. Rank on RS Top 500 Albums List: 14

original_441.jpg

I'd put this one ahead of the two other Beatles' albums I gave 4/5 stars, Sgt. Pepper and The Beatles; this one just barely missed out on 4.5/5 stars. I know that many people have grown to love this one, and I have as well. It's definitely the least accessible Beatles album, but its quality is a very fitting send off.

No masterpieces on the album for me, the best songs are "Something," "Octupus's Garden," and "Carry That Weight." "Here Comes The Sun" is very good too, but a little overplayed, IMO, and not Harrison's best work (even on this album).

I actually like Side 2 more than Side 1. As mentioned previously, "Carry That Weight" is an awesome song, that kind of speaks to each Beatle as they prepared to leave the band, but every song on Side 2 ranges from pretty good to awesome.

Some songs on Side 1 are loved by Beatles' fans; to me, they're just meh. "Come Together" is just alright for me, "Oh! Darling" same thing, and "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" just isn't really my steez. I don't hate any of them, but I definitely wouldn't seek them out to listen to most of the time.

Here are all my ratings of their albums thus far.

Revolver: 5/5 stars
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band: 4/5 stars
Magical Mystery Tour: 5/5 stars
The Beatles: 4/5 stars
Abbey Road: 4/5 stars

And, in the end
The love you take
is equal to the love you make

If I had to pick 1 Beatles album it would be this one. So 5/5 from me. Maybe you've just heard some of the best cuts too many times.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to pick 1 Beatles album it would be this one. So 5/5 from me. Maybe you've just heard some of the best cuts too many times.

Abbey Road will always be my favorite Beatles album. Maybe not their best one but for me the most personal one. As a 14 year old just finding his way into the rock and roll of the era, this was the album that really opened the door. And as I posted earlier in this thread, I have Sides 1 & 2 as two files in my iTunes library. I don’t want those songs in random order.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rubber Soul
Abbey Road
Revolver

toss up between the 3 fer me

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm only 38 but I prefer listening to Rock recorded from the 60's thru the 80's. Today's music sucks.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Meet The Beatles" and a "Hard Days Night" are my favorite albums by the group.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Meet The Beatles" and a "Hard Days Night" are my favorite albums by the group.

Their early stuff is very underrated and under-appreciated. People wanna label it as bubble gum pop, but there is some great stuff there.

Reactions: GNG

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also like The Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" album... I feel it was very underrated.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Abbey Road will always be my favorite Beatles album. Maybe not their best one but for me the most personal one. As a 14 year old just finding his way into the rock and roll of the era, this was the album that really opened the door. And as I posted earlier in this thread, I have Sides 1 & 2 as two files in my iTunes library. I don’t want those songs in random order.

The Beatle's Medley doesn't work with each song alone ... I took my mp3s and merged them into one song ... starting with Because.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raw Power should be higher. Masterpiece. Loveless by MBV, too on artistic merit. Doolittle :thumb:

Interesting Let It Bleed is first Stones entry, that's my favorite but usually ranks below the others.

I still listen to the radio in the car, and change the station whenever U2 or GnR come on.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raw Power should be higher. Masterpiece. Loveless by MBV, too on artistic merit. Doolittle :thumb:

Interesting Let It Bleed is first Stones entry, that's my favorite but usually ranks below the others.

I still listen to the radio in the car, and change the station whenever U2 or GnR come on.

I fucking loathe U2. My least favorite band of all time. I'll let Joshua Tree fucking slide, but that's it.

In fact, I would pay the price of a CD just to have someone remove that shitty free CD from my phone, that they gave to everyone a few years ago.

Pisses me the fuck off when it comes up in shuffle.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My sentiments exactly. I can't believe all the super catchy songs they did so early in their career.
I just heard "I Want To Hold Your Hand" just about a month ago or so. If the freaking Hollies ever released a song like that, it would be heralded as their magnum opus and one of the greatest pop songs of all time. Since it's a Beatles song, and an early one like you mentioned, meh, who really cares I guess?

I was going to review Rubber Soul, but I don't want this to turn into a Stones/Beatles thread, as much as I like the two groups, so I'm gonna put that one on the back burner and review something else that I've been listening to for a month. I'll give a hint to everyone who will be continuously refreshing their browser to see if the review has dropped (which is no one)- this album was released in 1971 and is in the top 150 on RS' list.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just heard "I Want To Hold Your Hand" just about a month ago or so. If the freaking Hollies ever released a song like that, it would be heralded as their magnum opus and one of the greatest pop songs of all time. Since it's a Beatles song, and an early one like you mentioned, meh, who really cares I guess?

I was going to review Rubber Soul, but I don't want this to turn into a Stones/Beatles thread, as much as I like the two groups, so I'm gonna put that one on the back burner and review something else that I've been listening to for a month. I'll give a hint to everyone who will be continuously refreshing their browser to see if the review has dropped (which is no one)- this album was released in 1971 and is in the top 150 on RS' list.

Ima guess Zeppelin IV, Bowie- Hunky Dory or The Who- Who's Next?

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was their first #1 song in the US. Not the best example.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was their first #1 song in the US. Not the best example.
That may be so, but what I really was trying to say is that that song is not recognized today, though it was certainly recognized back in 1963 or whenever. Is that the song you think of today when you think "Beatles"? It's certainly not for me; like I said, I just heard it a month ago.

Weirdly enough, I don't know what The Beatles' "signature song(s)" are. Like, for the Stones, it's definitely got to be "(Can't Get) No Satisfaction." Bob Dylan is "Like A Rolling Stone." AC/DC is "Highway To Hell" or "Back In Black." But The Beatles kind of stump me on that one.

Looking it up on Spotify, their top 5 songs by plays are:

5. Twist and Shout
4. Hey Jude
3. Let It Be
2. Come Together
1. Here Comes The Sun

:noidea: