• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Omar's Album Reviews of The Rolling Stones' Top 500 Albums (and some other albums too)

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As always, whether I agree or not ... good review ... you're a much better reviewer then the pretentious idiots at Rolling Stone Magazine.
Haha! Thanks for the compliment.:suds:

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to have to revise this one.

Magical Mystery Tour: 5/5 stars. Rank on RS Top 500 Albums List: N/A

maxresdefault.jpg

3/5 stars for this album is just criminal. THIS is the Beatles at their best IMO. Yes, homages to different genres (The Beatles (4/5 stars)) and complicated psychedelic (Sgt. Pepper (4/5 stars)) and progressive (Abbey Road) music is cool from them, and I can appreciate it all. But this album is what I like most about the Beatles: short, simple, upbeat pop-rock soaked in psychedelic instrumentals.

This album is like Revolver (5/5 stars) but for kids. That's the best way I could describe it. Where Revolver was complicated, MMT is simple. Where Revolver is pessimistic, MMT is optimistic. Where Revolver is angry, MMT is happy.

I can't believe I didn't appreciate this one more on first listen. I think that I thought that the album was so simple that it wasn't worth my attention; but its simplicity is the genius of it, IMO. And I do like Revolver better, but this is a top 5 album for me.

Certified masterpieces are "I Am The Walrus," "Hello, Goodbye," "Strawberry Fields Forever," "Penny Lane," and "All You Need Is Love." That's five songs that would be included in my top 250 songs of all time, which may be a record for any album I've listened to. And all the other songs are great too. The only ones I wouldn't count as great are the instrumental "Flying" and "Your Mother Should Know," and I still really like "Your Mother Should Know" FWIW ("Flying" is just ok to me).

I love this album.

I'd prolly add Fool on the Hill to the good-to-great songs.

Good review. Beatles rule.

My Pops told me when I was young, never trust anyone that doesn't like the Beatles. :lol:

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Band on the Run: 4.5/5 stars. Rank on RS Top 500 Album List: 418

220px-Paul_McCartney_%26_Wings-Band_on_the_Run_album_cover.jpg

Well, I don't want to spoil my next review (hint hint :wink:) but even on its own, this album solidifies Paul McCartney as one of, if not THE, creative genius within the Beatles. Anyone who wants to say that the guy is simplistic, or that he leeched off Lennon's talents- fuck you, this album is way better than any of the pretentious shit that Lennon released solo (at least that I have heard).

Certified masterpieces: "Band on the Run" and "Jet." Another great song that is a near miss as a masterpiece would be "Picasso's Last Words (Drink To Me)." That song's change of style mid-way through is fucking awesome, and then it incorporates elements of "Jet"- fucking perfect. (Also, the end of the song will sound like me in 2 months when I turn 21 at 2 AM each night.)

"Band on the Run" is an awesome song. This has been written before I'm sure, but to me, the song is about the Beatles (which is "the band") constantly "on the run" after splitting up. They were all trying to release solo stuff and dealing with the lasting impacts of their breakup. The "multiple different musical segments within a single song" thing has rarely been done better ("Bohemian Rhapsody" and "A Day in the Life" come to mind as the few that are better). I also like the "Eleanor Rigby" reference:

Well, the undertaker drew a heavy sigh
Seeing no one else had come
And a bell was ringing in the village square
For the rabbits on the run

I'll write more about Lennon in my next review, but to me, it's clear that McCartney (and Harrison) were far more talented musicians than him. And I don't hate Lennon or anything (though he was kind of a prick in real life from what I've read), but I just think that McCartney and Harrison put out far better music after the breakup, and even when you go back and listen to the Beatles' shit, McCartney and Harrison have consistently better songs than Lennon.

This might be the best post-Beatles' album ever released, though All Things Must Pass and/or Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1 may have something to say about that. Maybe we'll see someday :wink:.....

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd prolly add Fool on the Hill to the good-to-great songs.
Oh shit- completely forgot to mention that one. For sure it is a great song, though not within my top 250. McCartney reigns supreme again....

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Harrison's post-Beatles career the best, tho this song by Lennon is fucking incredible. Prolly my favorite post-Beatles single.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Harrison's post-Beatles career the best, tho this song by Lennon is fucking incredible. Prolly my favorite post-Beatles single.

Much better than the bullshit Marxist indoctrination Imagine ... Lennon and Harrison still had an edge after the break up, McCartney not so much

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Between The Buttons [U.S. Version]: 2.5/5 stars. Rank on RS Top 500 Albums List: 357

R-963703-1330742257.jpeg.jpg

Not getting the love for this one at all. It's halfway decent as a whole, but the last 8 songs suck ass. The first 4 songs are all really good, my favorites being "Let's Spend the Night Together," "Ruby Tuesday," and "Connection." I would include "Ruby Tuesday" as a masterpiece (barely), but as mentioned before, after those 4 songs, the album sucks. They all sound the same- like filler on a bad Stones album.

I like the Stones, but when they're off, they're off. I heard some debate that Brian Jones was more of a creative force than Jagger/Richards. If this album is his lasting impact- meh. I'll take Sticky Fingers (4.5/5 stars) Stones.

This has been turning into a Beatles/Stones album review thread lately. I have a couple more from the Beatles coming (actually, solo albums), but then I'll write about some other stuff I've been listening to.

Yeah, this isn't even a top 10 Stones album. There was a lot of really goofy music being made around that time, that doesn't hold up well, and the Stones weren't immune. Aside from the 2 obvious classics.. Ruby Tuesday being one or their "perfect" tunes, there isn't a lot to recommend it... Connections is good.

Last edited:

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to have to revise this one.

Magical Mystery Tour: 5/5 stars. Rank on RS Top 500 Albums List: N/A

maxresdefault.jpg

3/5 stars for this album is just criminal. THIS is the Beatles at their best IMO. Yes, homages to different genres (The Beatles (4/5 stars)) and complicated psychedelic (Sgt. Pepper (4/5 stars)) and progressive (Abbey Road) music is cool from them, and I can appreciate it all. But this album is what I like most about the Beatles: short, simple, upbeat pop-rock soaked in psychedelic instrumentals.

This album is like Revolver (5/5 stars) but for kids. That's the best way I could describe it. Where Revolver was complicated, MMT is simple. Where Revolver is pessimistic, MMT is optimistic. Where Revolver is angry, MMT is happy.

I can't believe I didn't appreciate this one more on first listen. I think that I thought that the album was so simple that it wasn't worth my attention; but its simplicity is the genius of it, IMO. And I do like Revolver better, but this is a top 5 album for me.

Certified masterpieces are "I Am The Walrus," "Hello, Goodbye," "Strawberry Fields Forever," "Penny Lane," and "All You Need Is Love." That's five songs that would be included in my top 250 songs of all time, which may be a record for any album I've listened to. And all the other songs are great too. The only ones I wouldn't count as great are the instrumental "Flying" and "Your Mother Should Know," and I still really like "Your Mother Should Know" FWIW ("Flying" is just ok to me).

I love this album.

This didn't even make their top 500 ? I don't like it as much as you, but that's insane.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Band on the Run: 4.5/5 stars. Rank on RS Top 500 Album List: 418

220px-Paul_McCartney_%26_Wings-Band_on_the_Run_album_cover.jpg

Well, I don't want to spoil my next review (hint hint :wink:) but even on its own, this album solidifies Paul McCartney as one of, if not THE, creative genius within the Beatles. Anyone who wants to say that the guy is simplistic, or that he leeched off Lennon's talents- fuck you, this album is way better than any of the pretentious shit that Lennon released solo (at least that I have heard).

Certified masterpieces: "Band on the Run" and "Jet." Another great song that is a near miss as a masterpiece would be "Picasso's Last Words (Drink To Me)." That song's change of style mid-way through is fucking awesome, and then it incorporates elements of "Jet"- fucking perfect. (Also, the end of the song will sound like me in 2 months when I turn 21 at 2 AM each night.)

"Band on the Run" is an awesome song. This has been written before I'm sure, but to me, the song is about the Beatles (which is "the band") constantly "on the run" after splitting up. They were all trying to release solo stuff and dealing with the lasting impacts of their breakup. The "multiple different musical segments within a single song" thing has rarely been done better ("Bohemian Rhapsody" and "A Day in the Life" come to mind as the few that are better). I also like the "Eleanor Rigby" reference:

Well, the undertaker drew a heavy sigh
Seeing no one else had come
And a bell was ringing in the village square
For the rabbits on the run

I'll write more about Lennon in my next review, but to me, it's clear that McCartney (and Harrison) were far more talented musicians than him. And I don't hate Lennon or anything (though he was kind of a prick in real life from what I've read), but I just think that McCartney and Harrison put out far better music after the breakup, and even when you go back and listen to the Beatles' shit, McCartney and Harrison have consistently better songs than Lennon.

This might be the best post-Beatles' album ever released, though All Things Must Pass and/or Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1 may have something to say about that. Maybe we'll see someday :wink:.....

“Drink to me,
Drink to my health,
You know I can’t drink anymore...”

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I consider the Beatles to be EASILY the greatest band of all time.

They did 2 albums a year from 63'-68' (I'm counting the White Album as 2). And many of their biggest songs weren't even on albums. Their star shone too brightly.

As far as their solo work goes: Lennon>>McCartney>Harrison>>>>>>>>>Ringo

I was a little bit disappointed in McCartney's solo work. Even if Lennon didn't have "Imagine", I'd still think his solo catalog is the best.

Last edited:

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rank both Sticky Fingers and Let It Bleed over Exile without question. I still like EOMS, but those two are just the pinnacle of the Stones.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I consider the Beatles to be EASILY the greatest band of all time.

They did 2 albums a year from 63'-68' (I'm counting the White Album as 2). And many of their biggest songs weren't even on albums. Their star shone too brightly.

As far as their solo work goes: Lennon>>McCartney>Harrison>>>>>>>>>Ringo

I was a little bit disappointed in McCartney's solo work. Even if Lennon didn't have "Imagine", I'd still think his solo catalog is the best.

I agree about their solo work. Harrison gets a lot of credit for a few great tunes and McCartney's tendency towards "silly love songs" became a bit much for me after his first couple of post-Beatles efforts.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about their solo work. Harrison gets a lot of credit for a few great tunes and McCartney's tendency towards "silly love songs" became a bit much for me after his first couple of post-Beatles efforts.

McCartney had too many unmemorable solo songs, and songs I found downright annoying.

Lennon doesn't get enough credit for his solo catalog, because the horrible Yoko stuff. I listen to his Best Of a lot

Lennon Legend:
The Very Best of John Lennon

The Rolling Stone Album Guide
11px-Star_full.svg.png
11px-Star_full.svg.png
11px-Star_full.svg.png
11px-Star_full.svg.png
11px-Star_half.svg.png
[3]
Lennon Legend: The Very Best of John Lennon
  1. "Imagine" – 3:02
  2. "Instant Karma!" – 3:20
  3. "Mother"1 – 3:53
  4. "Jealous Guy" – 4:14
  5. "Power to the People" – 3:17
  6. "Cold Turkey" – 5:01
  7. "Love" – 3:23
  8. "Mind Games" – 4:11
  9. "Whatever Gets You thru the Night" – 3:19
  10. "#9 Dream" – 4:46
  11. "Stand By Me" (Ben E. King, Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller) – 3:27
  12. "(Just Like) Starting Over" – 3:55
  13. "Woman" – 3:26
  14. "Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)" – 4:00
  15. "Watching the Wheels" – 3:31
  16. "Nobody Told Me" – 3:33
  17. "Borrowed Time" – 4:30
  18. "Working Class Hero" – 3:49
  19. "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" (Lennon, Yoko Ono) – 3:33
  20. "Give Peace a Chance" – 4:52

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Abbey Road: 4/5 stars. Rank on RS Top 500 Albums List: 14

original_441.jpg

I'd put this one ahead of the two other Beatles' albums I gave 4/5 stars, Sgt. Pepper and The Beatles; this one just barely missed out on 4.5/5 stars. I know that many people have grown to love this one, and I have as well. It's definitely the least accessible Beatles album, but its quality is a very fitting send off.

No masterpieces on the album for me, the best songs are "Something," "Octupus's Garden," and "Carry That Weight." "Here Comes The Sun" is very good too, but a little overplayed, IMO, and not Harrison's best work (even on this album).

I actually like Side 2 more than Side 1. As mentioned previously, "Carry That Weight" is an awesome song, that kind of speaks to each Beatle as they prepared to leave the band, but every song on Side 2 ranges from pretty good to awesome.

Some songs on Side 1 are loved by Beatles' fans; to me, they're just meh. "Come Together" is just alright for me, "Oh! Darling" same thing, and "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" just isn't really my steez. I don't hate any of them, but I definitely wouldn't seek them out to listen to most of the time.

Here are all my ratings of their albums thus far.

Revolver: 5/5 stars
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band: 4/5 stars
Magical Mystery Tour: 5/5 stars
The Beatles: 4/5 stars
Abbey Road: 4/5 stars

And, in the end
The love you take
is equal to the love you make

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could've broken the White Album into 2 albums, and put "Lady Madonna" on 1 and "Hey Jude" on the other.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Abbey Road: 4/5 stars. Rank on RS Top 500 Albums List: 14

original_441.jpg

I'd put this one ahead of the two other Beatles' albums I gave 4/5 stars, Sgt. Pepper and The Beatles; this one just barely missed out on 4.5/5 stars. I know that many people have grown to love this one, and I have as well. It's definitely the least accessible Beatles album, but its quality is a very fitting send off.

No masterpieces on the album for me, the best songs are "Something," "Octupus's Garden," and "Carry That Weight." "Here Comes The Sun" is very good too, but a little overplayed, IMO, and not Harrison's best work (even on this album).

I actually like Side 2 more than Side 1. As mentioned previously, "Carry That Weight" is an awesome song, that kind of speaks to each Beatle as they prepared to leave the band, but every song on Side 2 ranges from pretty good to awesome.

Some songs on Side 1 are loved by Beatles' fans; to me, they're just meh. "Come Together" is just alright for me, "Oh! Darling" same thing, and "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" just isn't really my steez. I don't hate any of them, but I definitely wouldn't seek them out to listen to most of the time.

Here are all my ratings of their albums thus far.

Revolver: 5/5 stars
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band: 4/5 stars
Magical Mystery Tour: 5/5 stars
The Beatles: 4/5 stars
Abbey Road: 4/5 stars

And, in the end
The love you take
is equal to the love you make

Was supposed to be their last album, but Phil Spector used a bunch of unreleased stuff he could make an album out of and made it Let It Be.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was supposed to be their last album, but Phil Spector used a bunch of unreleased stuff he could make an album out of and made it Let It Be.
Yes, I know, but it was the last music they recorded, so to me, it's kind of their send-off. But yeah, I know Let It Be came out a year later in 1970.