• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Omar's Album Reviews of The Rolling Stones' Top 500 Albums (and some other albums too)

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are my 1971 LPs. It must be in here. Idk how many of them are on the list. A few I've only listened to once... that was back in the day when you bought an LP blind or based upon a cut or 2. The ones with asterisks I purchased after 71, the rest I bought when they were current.

Chicago - Chicago III
Janis Joplin - Pearl
Carole King - Tapestry
Miles Davis - Jack Johnson *
Alice Cooper - Love It to Death
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
CSNY - 4 Way Street
The Doors - L.A. Woman
Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
Procol Harum - Broken Barricades
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On *
Grahamn Nash - Songs for Beginners
Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells a Story
Joni Mitchell - Blue *
The Allman Brothers - At Fillmore East *
The Moody Blues - Every Good Boy Deserves Favour
The Who - Who's Next
Ten Years After - A Space in Time
Aretha Frankiln - Aretha's Greatest Hits *
John Lennon - Imagine
Uriah Heep - Look at Yourself
Cat Stevns - Teaser and the Firecat
Chicago - Chicago at Carnegie Hall
The Who - Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Van Morrison - Tupelo Honey
Elton John - Madman Across the Water
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
Bob Dylan - Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits Vol. II
Faces - A Nod Is As Good As a Wink... to a Blind Horse
Sly & The Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On *
Yes - Fragile
Alice Cooper - Killer
Carly Simon - Anticipation
Bonnie Raitt - Bonnie Raitt *
Traffic - The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
Humble Pie - Performance Rockin' the Fillmore
David Bowie - Hunky Dory *
Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks 1964–1971
America - America

Last edited:

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also, apologies to Janis Joplin. I hardly know anything about you, but in an alternate universe, YOU were the artist whose album I reviewed, not Bowie

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are my 1971 LPs. It must be in here. Idk how many of them are on the list. A few I've only listened to once... that was back in the day when you bought an LP blind or based upon a cut or 2. The ones with asterisks I purchased after 71, the rest I bought when they were current.

Chicago - Chicago III
Janis Joplin - Pearl
Carole King - Tapestry
Miles Davis - Jack Johnson *
Alice Cooper - Love It to Death
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
CSNY - 4 Way Street
The Doors - L.A. Woman
Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
Procol Harum - Broken Barricades
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On *
Grahamn Nash - Songs for Beginners
Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells a Story
Joni Mitchell - Blue *
The Allman Brothers - At Fillmore East *
The Moody Blues - Every Good Boy Deserves Favour
The Who - Who's Next
Ten Years After - A Space in Time
Aretha Frankiln - Aretha's Greatest Hits *
John Lennon - Imagine
Uriah Heep - Look at Yourself
Cat Stevns - Teaser and the Firecat
Chicago - Chicago at Carnegie Hall
The Who - Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Van Morrison - Tupelo Honey
Elton John - Madman Across the Water
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
Bob Dylan - Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits Vol. II
Faces - A Nod Is As Good As a Wink... to a Blind Horse
Sly & The Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On *
Yes - Fragile
Alice Cooper - Killer
Carly Simon - Anticipation
Bonnie Raitt - Bonnie Raitt *
Traffic - The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
Humble Pie - Performance Rockin' the Fillmore
David Bowie - Hunky Dory
Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks 1964–1971
America - America
Holy shit, did you just put this list together now? Madman Across the Water is great from what I've heard of it. Is Tupelo Honey part of Van Morrison's experimental stage in his career? He has another album that's in the top 20 on RS list, IIRC.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "Top 150" distinction makes me think that the selection is between 100 and 150 on the list, but it certainly could be an Omar red herring.
Are these red herring's of mine so ubiquitous that they are simply referred to as "Omar red herring's" in common parlance?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are these red herring's of mine so ubiquitous that they are simply referred to as "Omar red herring's" in common parlance?

Not at all, I think I just had the term in my head because I was talking to a friend yesterday about TV stuff and it came up in the discussion.

Or maybe that's just a Dragon red herring :wink:

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit, did you just put this list together now? Madman Across the Water is great from what I've heard of it. Is Tupelo Honey part of Van Morrison's experimental stage in his career? He has another album that's in the top 20 on RS list, IIRC.

I was curious. I knew I bought a lot of albums in 71 and Wikipedia has a page for each year listing albums released. So I just went through the list. IIRC, LPs were 3 or 4 bucks back then and I'd buy a few every time I got paid.

Side 1 of Madmen is great.. Tiny Dancer, Levon, Razor Face & the title cut. I don't think I've listened to side 2 more that once, though. Tupelo Honey.. nothing experimental about it really, just good tunes and a great album. Astral Weeks is his only early one that's considered "experimental" ... it's also one of his best along with Moondance.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was curious. I knew I bought a lot of albums in 71 and Wikipedia has a page for each year listing albums released. So I just went through the list. IIRC, LPs were 3 or 4 bucks back then and I'd buy a few every time I got paid.

Side 1 of Madmen is great.. Tiny Dancer, Levon, Razor Face & the title cut. I don't think I've listened to side 2 more that once, though. Tupelo Honey.. nothing experimental about it really, just good tunes and a great album. Astral Weeks is his only early one that's considered "experimental" ... it's also one of his best along with Moondance.

There isn’t a lot of agreement between me and the missus when it comes to music... but Van Morrison is one of those complete agreement points and Tupelo Honey is one of those albums. It was in the playlist yesterday when we made the 4 hour trip to Austin. Such a great album...

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There isn’t a lot of agreement between me and the missus when it comes to music... but Van Morrison is one of those complete agreement points and Tupelo Honey is one of those albums. It was in the playlist yesterday when we made the 4 hour trip to Austin. Such a great album...

Mine and I are actually fairly compatible.. though she doesn't care much for jazz and I'm not as crazy about country as she is, but he's right near the top of our list too. This is one from it I rarely hear on the radio, just a terrific love song that closes one of the sides... it always puts her in a good mood.

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not very representative though, as all are McCartney songs.

Those are probably their 3 most popular overall though.

If had to rank Lennon's best 3, I'd say: Come Together, Strawberry Fields Forever, and Help.

Raw_Bee808

Gifted Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If had to rank Lennon's best 3, I'd say: Come Together, Strawberry Fields Forever, and Help.[/QUOTE]

I would agree with those 3, maybe argue for "Tomorrow Never Knows" or "Norwegian Wood" but I think those three you listed are a good representation.

It's so hard to whittle their catalog down to just 3 songs, it would probably be easier to separate between the early years and later years or to do as you did and list the 3 best songs from each writer and since you already did Paul and John I will try to do the 3 best George Harrison songs and I will go with "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" "Something" .....and I can't decide between "Here Comes The Sun" or "Taxman" for the 3rd spot, LOL.

It's amazing the amount of quality music these guys produced, they were literally song writing machines and I don't think there has been another band that had three (sorry Ringo) hall of fame level songwriters like the Beatles it's incredible and one of the reasons why they are who they are.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If had to rank Lennon's best 3, I'd say: Come Together, Strawberry Fields Forever, and Help.

I would agree with those 3, maybe argue for "Tomorrow Never Knows" or "Norwegian Wood" but I think those three you listed are a good representation.

It's so hard to whittle their catalog down to just 3 songs, it would probably be easier to separate between the early years and later years or to do as you did and list the 3 best songs from each writer and since you already did Paul and John I will try to do the 3 best George Harrison songs and I will go with "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" "Something" .....and I can't decide between "Here Comes The Sun" or "Taxman" for the 3rd spot, LOL.

It's amazing the amount of quality music these guys produced, they were literally song writing machines and I don't think there has been another band that had three (sorry Ringo) hall of fame level songwriters like the Beatles it's incredible and one of the reasons why they are who they are.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention the HUGE impact of their HOF level producer and arranger, George Martin.

Trying to sum up the Beatles in 3 songs is near impossible, but I would say the best approach would be to hit beginning, middle and end of their run with 3 songs like I Want To Hold Your Hand, Paperback Writer, and A Day In The Life. Kinda captures the breadth of their material in 3 songs.

Who do you think had the best solo album of the Beatles? George's All Things Must Pass is tough to beat.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
..listen to one album each day with a group of elderly/handicapped shut-ins and discuss the album with them before reporting your results on the Hoop...
Isn't that just like the hoop?

BigFin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those 3 from Lennon I mentioned aren’t my favorite 3 from him, just what I think are his most acclaimed songs.

I Am The Walrus
Dear Prudence
In My Life

are probably my favorite 3 from him

Raw_Bee808

Gifted Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@shopson67 I agree with "All Things Must Pass" being a great record and possibly the best of the Beatles solo work. But I'd have to add Lennon's "Plastic Ono Band" or "Imagine" (maybe "Double Fantasy" too) along with Paul's "Band on the Run"(and maybe "Ram") as the best solo works from the fab four. It's too hard for me to choose just one.

@BigFin Those are great songs, I love Dear Prudence.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was always a John guy. Paul was definitely the most gifted when it came to writing melodies, perhaps the most gifted ever outside of some classical guys. But there are folks on this board who could write better lyrics, imo. The tunes are so good that you just sort of go with it, though.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are You Experienced: 3/5 stars. Rank on RS Top 500 Albums List: 15

Are_You_Experienced_-_US_cover-edit.jpg

<reviewing the original North American release, which contained 11 songs>

1967 album from The Jimi Hendrix Experience that is generally considered one of the best debut albums of all time, but you already knew that. I enjoyed it, in some parts more than others, but overall I did enjoy it. My favorite songs are "Purple Haze" and "May This Be Love," neither of which I consider even close to masterpieces... which brings me to my largest complaint with this album- mediocrity throughout the entire project. Those two songs are good, but again, neither are close to top 250 (or even top 500) songs of all time. I know people love "Hey Joe" and "Foxey Lady," but those songs are really just meh to me.

I think the biggest problem I have with this album is that its electric guitar-centered, and while I love a good electric guitar solo, I'm much more of a drums/vocals guy. "Fire" has some good drums (and I like that song), but outside of that, it's Hendrix's guitar playing that is supposed to steal the show; and it hits and misses for me.

I think this song would be really cool stoned. I'll have to give it a try when I get back into the weed-smoking scene at the end of May. But sober; this album is good, not great for me.

Weirdly enough, if you get the North American CD reissue album with the bonus tracks, the 13th track, "51st Anniversary" is fucking awesome. It's not a well known song at all, but check it out- it would be my favorite track on the album if it appeared along with the original 11 songs. Plus, you can hear Hendrix do a rather large bump of cocaine towards the end of the song:drool:

Eric Clapton appears on 10 different albums on this list (two solo albums, three with Cream, one with Derek and the Dominos, one with the Beatles, one with George Harrison, one with the Yardbirds and one with John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers). My next review will be of one of these albums, and should drop later tonight, or at the latest tomorrow morning.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are You Experienced: 3/5 stars. Rank on RS Top 500 Albums List: 15

Are_You_Experienced_-_US_cover-edit.jpg

<reviewing the original North American release, which contained 11 songs>

1967 album from The Jimi Hendrix Experience that is generally considered one of the best debut albums of all time, but you already knew that. I enjoyed it, in some parts more than others, but overall I did enjoy it. My favorite songs are "Purple Haze" and "May This Be Love," neither of which I consider even close to masterpieces... which brings me to my largest complaint with this album- mediocrity throughout the entire project. Those two songs are good, but again, neither are close to top 250 (or even top 500) songs of all time. I know people love "Hey Joe" and "Foxey Lady," but those songs are really just meh to me.

I think the biggest problem I have with this album is that its electric guitar-centered, and while I love a good electric guitar solo, I'm much more of a drums/vocals guy. "Fire" has some good drums (and I like that song), but outside of that, it's Hendrix's guitar playing that is supposed to steal the show; and it hits and misses for me.

I think this song would be really cool stoned. I'll have to give it a try when I get back into the weed-smoking scene at the end of May. But sober; this album is good, not great for me.

Weirdly enough, if you get the North American CD reissue album with the bonus tracks, the 13th track, "51st Anniversary" is fucking awesome. It's not a well known song at all, but check it out- it would be my favorite track on the album if it appeared along with the original 11 songs. Plus, you can hear Hendrix do a rather large bump of cocaine towards the end of the song:drool:

Eric Clapton appears on 10 different albums on this list (two solo albums, three with Cream, one with Derek and the Dominos, one with the Beatles, one with George Harrison, one with the Yardbirds and one with John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers). My next review will be of one of these albums, and should drop later tonight, or at the latest tomorrow morning.
Motherfucking Slowhand is THEE living legend.

And Are You Experienced fucking great you silly twat