• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Oilers Trade Perron to Pens for 2015 1st

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Nichols @NicholsOnHockey
Friedman on return for Perron: “They weren’t getting Pouliot or Harrington for him. They just weren’t.” #Oilers #Pens

It's honestly impressive that they did this with out giving up one of those guys. I mean, we're talking about a franchise desperate for defensemen, with a plethora of attractive forward options. And they traded a top 6 winger for a mediocre 4th liner and a 1st. I can't say I know enough about this year's draft depth to fully criticize, but I was under the impression it was sort of top heavy. These two teams just matched up perfectly for a trade because the Pens needed a winger (or two) and had defensive depth, while the Oilers were the opposite. Then this. That and the fact that the original rumor had the talks starting with Sutter for Perron.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupid trade for Edmonton....WTF will they do with a 1st rounder

Plane+Crash+32+.gif

I really do feel for young Oiler fans. As a Pirate fan through the 2000s...I understand.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@seangentille 1m1 minute ago
Rutherford: Deadline deals tend not to positively impact teams, so doing something in January is preferred.

I've grown to like Jimmy, and this mentality is one I'm on board with. If you get what you need before the demand for that goes up, the price is likely lower. Also gives that player a chance to acclimate. That said, circumstances forced his hand a bit too with the plethora of injuries.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perron said he found out about the trade via Twitter, but was called shortly after by Edmonton’s Craig MacTavish. Perron said he respects MacTavish and appreciated not only the chance to play for the Oilers, but also now the Penguins.

First, they fire a coach via Skype now a player finds out he's been traded via Twitter. Stay classy, Edmonton.

Pens Add Skilled, Physical Perron - Pittsburgh Penguins - Features

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perron said he found out about the trade via Twitter, but was called shortly after by Edmonton’s Craig MacTavish. Perron said he respects MacTavish and appreciated not only the chance to play for the Oilers, but also now the Penguins.

First, they fire a coach via Skype now a player finds out he's been traded via Twitter. Stay classy, Edmonton.

It's really hard these days with the insiders who break things the moment they hear them...but I'd think after I hung up the GM and had the appropriate paperwork done, I'd call that player.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BTW: did you see he said his favorite player was Kovalev? Thought that was funny considering your comparison.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't kill me for this, but aren't those some of the things people would argue the Pens have lacked for years?I think Perron's a talented player but if St. Louis is jettisoning him for some sort of character issue and then Edmonton got no tangible benefit by having him around their young guys maybe there's something to it?

I'd say it's been missing since probably...2010? That said, they have it now in excess. And it must be contagious, because it's coming from unlikely sources too. Downie, Farnham, Bortuzzo, Despres, et al.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Kings would probably be a good trade partner because they really need a d-man imo and when you look at their cap situation, being a rental might be a good situation for them

I saw that mentioned by a friend on twitter, and it's a match certainly. That said, what's the return? There are some matches, but they're limited because of the expiring contract (he said he will test the market) and a NMC.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW: did you see he said his favorite player was Kovalev? Thought that was funny considering your comparison.

I skimmed the article and missed that part. There's no questioning the fact that Perron is a skilled player, but like Kovalev, he makes you think that he's just going through the motions at times.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that mentioned by a friend on twitter, and it's a match certainly. That said, what's the return? There are some matches, but they're limited because of the expiring contract (he said he will test the market) and a NMC.

Maybe a first round pick? If David Perron with one year left after this year commands a first round pick(I look at Klinkhammer as a thrown in, honestly) then Paul Martin being a d-man expiring, might be worth that - maybe they can do something with a condition that if he re-signs with the Kings before the draft, then the Penguins get the first rounder, if not, then the Penguins get a 2nd rounder - would that be fair?

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe a first round pick? If David Perron with one year left after this year commands a first round pick(I look at Klinkhammer as a thrown in, honestly) then Paul Martin being a d-man expiring, might be worth that - maybe they can do something with a condition that if he re-signs with the Kings before the draft, then the Penguins get the first rounder, if not, then the Penguins get a 2nd rounder - would that be fair?

Maybe, but I doubt the Pens would do it. They're not going to trade a guy just because, and while a first rounder is likely fair, it's removing a valuable piece to a team trying to win a Cup.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but I doubt the Pens would do it. They're not going to trade a guy just because, and while a first rounder is likely fair, it's removing a valuable piece to a team trying to win a Cup.

Yep, it would be hard to move him regardless, and I'm sure they knew the situation when they signed Ehrhoff too, because essentially with that signing it was either him or Paul Martin that they would re-sign going forward

But with the young d-men playing well, it is tempting to make a move like that and get the first rounder back

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Notice MAF in the shadows? Yeah, that because he once read rumors about him going there and is having a flashback.

Last edited by a moderator:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, it would be hard to move him regardless, and I'm sure they knew the situation when they signed Ehrhoff too, because essentially with that signing it was either him or Paul Martin that they would re-sign going forward

But with the young d-men playing well, it is tempting to make a move like that and get the first rounder back

Even before Ehrhoff signed there were rumblings about Martin testing the waters, and now there are rumblings about Ehrhoff extending soon. Also, wouldn't the Kings need to move salary?

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really hard these days with the insiders who break things the moment they hear them...but I'd think after I hung up the GM and had the appropriate paperwork done, I'd call that player.

As soon as the GM (MacT) had a deal agreed to verbally, someone should have been on the phone with Perron. Not wait until after it's filed. Poor form. ESPECIALLY with twitter nowadays.

Even before Ehrhoff signed there were rumblings about Martin testing the waters, and now there are rumblings about Ehrhoff extending soon. Also, wouldn't the Kings need to move salary?

I would gladly take Gaborik back, if that helps. I will give up Boll.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For it to make sense for the Penguins, probably either a lesser defenseman and a pick or a top six forward with an expiring contract at similar money would be best.

Looking at CapGeek, however, no such forward exists. I don't see them working out the money, honestly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The closest I can get would be something like Martin for Regher and Williams, but I think that's too many dollars for the Pens to take on...