• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Oilers Trade Perron to Pens for 2015 1st

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Puts all the trade speculation the last few weeks into focus. So many fans around were proposing these monster blockbuster deals where teams would have to send sure-fire superstars to Edmonton to get anything out of them.

The Pens just ripped them for a bonafide top six guy with a bunch of heart (and who is not a pending UFA) for a borderline NHL'er and a pick that is incredibly likely to be in the last five in the round. Essentially a second rounder.

As long as that clown show is running things up in Edmonton, any team will be able to rip them off completely. Pens owned them. Great deal for Pitt.

dammit

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Puts all the trade speculation the last few weeks into focus. So many fans around were proposing these monster blockbuster deals where teams would have to send sure-fire superstars to Edmonton to get anything out of them.

The Pens just ripped them for a bonafide top six guy with a bunch of heart (and who is not a pending UFA) for a borderline NHL'er and a pick that is incredibly likely to be in the last five in the round. Essentially a second rounder.

As long as that clown show is running things up in Edmonton, any team will be able to rip them off completely. Pens owned them. Great deal for Pitt.

dammit

Flyers need to poach Edmonton into Braydon Coburn - I'll take that Penguins first round pick for him, maybe even the Oilers first round pick too :nod:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When Perron was traded from St. Louis to Edmonton, there were some reports that the Blues dressing room wasn't going to miss Perron very much. Perron reminds me of poor man's Alexi Kovalev which is probably why he'll likely thrive with the Penguins.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers need to poach Edmonton into Braydon Coburn - I'll take that Penguins first round pick for him, maybe even the Oilers first round pick too :nod:

If the Flyers start ripping other teams off in trades, I'll know I'm in the bizarro universe.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Perron was traded from St. Louis to Edmonton, there were some reports that the Blues dressing room wasn't going to miss Perron very much. Perron reminds me of poor man's Alexi Kovalev which is probably why he'll likely thrive with the Penguins.

Always beware of the players that good teams deem expendable.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Somehow I'm not really worried about what the Blues locker room not missing him. Because they're like the "grit, character, tenacity!" champions.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somehow I'm not really worried about what the Blues locker room not missing him. Because they're like the "grit, character, tenacity!" champions.

He won't be asked to be a leader anyway, so as long as he plays hard and well, he'll fit into the room just fine.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saving money on D is going to be the saving grace for the Pens cap situation. Next year they'll probably have: Despres, Maatta, Pouliot, Harrington, all on the cheap, with Borts and Dumolin RFAs. Then Letang, Scuds on the books, Ehrhoff, Martin UFAs (Martin is gone, wouldn't be surprised if traded). Perron's deal is done after 2015/16, so they mesh well.

Yeah good point, I guess I am looking at it as half full because what if Pouliot and Harrington don't work out and injuries (Crosby, Letang and Bennett seem to be guarantees) will they be in the same situation as this year, without Dupuis/Ehroff's LTIR and all the other injuries this team would be in trouble.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't kill me for this, but aren't those some of the things people would argue the Pens have lacked for years?I think Perron's a talented player but if St. Louis is jettisoning him for some sort of character issue and then Edmonton got no tangible benefit by having him around their young guys maybe there's something to it?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah good point, I guess I am looking at it as half full because what if Pouliot and Harrington don't work out and injuries (Crosby, Letang and Bennett seem to be guarantees) will they be in the same situation as this year, without Dupuis/Ehroff's LTIR and all the other injuries this team would be in trouble.

Just looked on Capgeek right now next year if all stays the same they will have 8.7 of cap room for 2 forwards and a backup goalie, yeah they should be fine. After next season will be interesting with Maatta, Despres, Sutter, Perron and even Spaling/Harrington either RFA/UFA's. Good thing is the d-core will all be RFA's.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't kill me for this, but aren't those some of the things people would argue the Pens have lacked for years?I think Perron's a talented player but if St. Louis is jettisoning him for some sort of character issue and then Edmonton got no tangible benefit by having him around their young guys maybe there's something to it?

They were issues in the past, but I personally think JR has done a very nice job of addressing that issue with his offseason additions of Downie, Comeau, Hornqvist and Spaling, and he jettisoned Neal.

Perron won't be asked to be something he's not, but it's not like he's going to be in the running for a Lady Byng, either. He had over 100 hits last season, and is on pace for a career best this year. And as far as him being a locker room problem.. i think that depends on the situation. There are a lot of tenured guys in the Pens locker room. I don't think Perron is going to be a problem in that regard.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were issues in the past, but I personally think JR has done a very nice job of addressing that issue with his offseason additions of Downie, Comeau, Hornqvist and Spaling, and he jettisoned Neal.

Perron won't be asked to be something he's not, but it's not like he's going to be in the running for a Lady Byng, either. He had over 100 hits last season, and is on pace for a career best this year. And as far as him being a locker room problem.. i think that depends on the situation. There are a lot of tenured guys in the Pens locker room. I don't think Perron is going to be a problem in that regard.

Yeah, I really like the way our [healthy] roster is built. We can have three scoring lines, give each one a crasher to make things difficult on the defense, do the hard work in puck retrieval and create room for the skill guys, and a few of those crashers, like Kunitz and Hornqvist, can take the puck away while hitting a guy. Whatever Perron is, as long as he keeps finding the net, he'll add value to the Penguins.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There were also reports that Rick Nash was a little soft and some of the Jackets weren't really completely sad to see him go...

And I don't know if I'd condemn a guy for not "leading" in Edmonton. That's a bit like a guy being condemned for not joining the glee club while on death row. The Pens are about as perfect a place for to land as there is. He is not going to have to take a lead role, and just by virtue of being on the ice in game situations, he's going to pick up points. He can come in and play his game and it will mesh with what they are doing in Pitt.

dammit

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edmonton has become a joke. There gonna be the laughing stock for years to come

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I really like the way our [healthy] roster is built. We can have three scoring lines, give each one a crasher to make things difficult on the defense, do the hard work in puck retrieval and create room for the skill guys, and a few of those crashers, like Kunitz and Hornqvist, can take the puck away while hitting a guy. Whatever Perron is, as long as he keeps finding the net, he'll add value to the Penguins.

Perron drives the net. He cashes in on goals within 10-12 feet of the paint. I'll take that. I remember back when St. Louis sent him to Edmonton that his move was more predicated on them freeing up both cap space and opportunity, rather than him being a problem in the locker room. St. Louis has talented wingers in spades. He was one spade too many. And then he went to one of the worst run clubs in the league and put up the best season of his career. I think Rutherford did the best he could with the postion he's been dealt. He didn't give up any prospects, and moved a body with a 1st Rd. pick. His need was great, but he didn't deal from his talent pool.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Nichols @NicholsOnHockey
Friedman on return for Perron: “They weren’t getting Pouliot or Harrington for him. They just weren’t.” #Oilers #Pens

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Edmonton Oil Tankers.

40036918_384x288_generated.jpg

You can tank us later.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WW, Higgy has one more reason to loathe the Penguins now (lol)