• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Seahawks vs Chargers preseason game thread

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figured we can regulate our talk about the first preseason game to one thread.

What is everyone looking forward to seeing (other than football finally being back)?

Here are some things I'd like to see:
Stephen Williams: I know he is quite gifted athletically (6'5 200lbs 4.5 40), and a few Cardinals fans on CBS were really high on him. But what really surprised me was that in the Seahawks preseason depth chart he was listed as a 2nd stringer right behind Golden Tate. I believe he was behind Larry Fitzgerald, Early Doucet, Michael Floyd and Andre Roberts with the Cardinals, but it seems the Seahawks really like him. He has been underwhelming so far in the NFL, so seeing him listed so highly on the depth chart is an interesting move and I'm looking forward to seeing how much he has improved.
J.R. Sweezy: Gotta give some love to the offensive line. I've heard Sweezy has been looking good and I recall how raw he looked last preseason. With another year of experience under his belt it should be interesting to see how he performs. He is listed as the starter at RG, ahead of Moffitt.
Christine Michael: Robert Turbin will be the 2nd stringer so the preseason will likely be one of the few times we get an extended look at Michael unless someone goes down. Although I will rip my hair out if he runs for 100 yards against 3rd stringers and people start saying we should start him over Lynch, when the team is playing well preseason hysteria seems to run strong in Seahawk fans. Don't even get me started on Mike Teel, jesus.
Luke Willson: I really liked this draft pick and felt that Anthony McCoy's injury was a blessing in disguise. Willson is very athletic and will (hopefully) finally give the Seahawks FO the #2 TE they've been trying to find for years.
DT Play: The Seahawks drafted Jordan Hill and Jesse Williams and signed Tony McDaniel to replace Alan Branch. Looking forward to seeing them battle it out for playing time.
PR/KR game: Leon Washington was obviously an expensive luxury after having traded for Percy Harvin but after Harvin's injury you have to wonder how much Washington will be missed. I can't even begin to count the amount of times he has saved us.
LB Depth: The Seahawks are quite deep on most positions but LB truly is not one of them. Hoping to see someone stand out at LB in the preseason the way David Hawthorne did back as a rookie.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players I want to see

Christine Michael- a surprised pick but from everything I have read he's been solid this off-season.
Harper- Had high hopes for but seems he might be falling on the depth chart.
D-line- Early in the game can they get pressure and late how do are backups look.
Irvin- I think he's allowed to play, want to see how he dose as a middle line backer.
Luke Wilson- Can he help the offense until Harvin gets back?
And of course no injuries.

Side note- Just re-watched the vikings game and I had forgotten how bad Seattle was on third and long. Worse in the league (at the time) So during the preseason and first 3-4 games it's something I'm going to keep an eye on. Hopefully the D gaining more experience and a new DC will make this a non issue but if we want to be an elite D this is something we have make sure is fixed.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3rd and long has haunted this teams Defenses for YEARS not just one season. Sad when you hope for a 3rd and 3 instead of a 3rd and 10+

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3rd and long has haunted this teams Defenses for YEARS not just one season. Sad when you hope for a 3rd and 3 instead of a 3rd and 10+

You know it's funny you mention this because I honestly completely forgot about that. God the headaches are coming back just thinking about it.

But in all seriousness, I think that the addition of Antonio Winfield will help a lot with this. One of the huge reasons for all of the 3rd and long conversions last year was due to poor slot CB play from Marcus Trufant. There were quite a few times when the Seahawks would go out in the nickel and give up a long 3rd down conversion to the other team's slot WR.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm most interested to see how the return game looks without Leon Washington and Percy Harvin. Hopefully we see some type of spark, it's going to be hard to replace a guy like Washington. Also should be interesting to see how some of the lower guys on the WR depth chart look without Harvin and Rice.

Of course, I'll also be watching for Korey Toomer and Benson Mayowa just to make and impact, gotta root for my fellow Vandals. On a related note, Nate Enderle was signed by the Chargers so there's a very slim chance he might get out there for a series.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm most interested to see how the return game looks without Leon Washington and Percy Harvin. Hopefully we see some type of spark, it's going to be hard to replace a guy like Washington. Also should be interesting to see how some of the lower guys on the WR depth chart look without Harvin and Rice.

Of course, I'll also be watching for Korey Toomer and Benson Mayowa just to make and impact, gotta root for my fellow Vandals. On a related note, Nate Enderle was signed by the Chargers so there's a very slim chance he might get out there for a series.

I seem to be the only person on this board who recognizes Golden Tate as a below average starting WR who greatly benefitted from having a QB as mobile as Russell Wilson. That being said, he is very explosive with the ball in his hands.

He has not had a lot of opportunities with the ball in space in the NFL but (IMO) from watching his college tape one of his greatest attributes was his ability after the catch. So I think he could provide a spark returning kicks for the Seahawks. He did have a 60 yarder or so against the Broncos his rookie year I believe.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tate will return Punts, Blackmon is slated to return kickoffs. I also believe they said Michaels will get a shot at returning kickoffs. I updated my " harvin wont return kicks?" thread to reflect this news.

As far as Tate being a below average WR, i just do not see that. He is at the very least Average. Then add into that his ability to run after the catch, i just do not see a "below Average" WR. Its not like he is a #1 WR. That's not his role.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seem to be the only person on this board who recognizes Golden Tate as a below average starting WR who greatly benefitted from having a QB as mobile as Russell Wilson. That being said, he is very explosive with the ball in his hands.

He has not had a lot of opportunities with the ball in space in the NFL but (IMO) from watching his college tape one of his greatest attributes was his ability after the catch. So I think he could provide a spark returning kicks for the Seahawks. He did have a 60 yarder or so against the Broncos his rookie year I believe.

I was pretty happy when he was drafted, and up until last year I was with you thinking he was a bust. Last year he really stepped it up though, and like you said a lot of it was due to Wilson. Tate just has trouble getting separation but has a uncanny ability to go up and get the ball despite his small stature, something he's been doing since he was at Notre Dame. He can be a really serviceable #2 if you use him in the right way. Get him the ball with space to work with and let him make people miss.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was pretty happy when he was drafted, and up until last year I was with you thinking he was a bust. Last year he really stepped it up though, and like you said a lot of it was due to Wilson. Tate just has trouble getting separation but has a uncanny ability to go up and get the ball despite his small stature, something he's been doing since he was at Notre Dame. He can be a really serviceable #2 if you use him in the right way. Get him the ball with space to work with and let him make people miss.

I wouldn't say he's a bust, I just think he's a below average starting WR. Not a bad #2, just not a good one either. But I do agree with your assessment of him. He has trouble getting separation and that's why he did so much better last year than in the past, Wilson gave him more time to get open.

But I think he could be a solid PR. If I recall correctly he tried returning some punts that were just stupid, so it will take some practice and coaching but I think he can handle the PR duties.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tate will return Punts, Blackmon is slated to return kickoffs. I also believe they said Michaels will get a shot at returning kickoffs. I updated my " harvin wont return kicks?" thread to reflect this news.

As far as Tate being a below average WR, i just do not see that. He is at the very least Average. Then add into that his ability to run after the catch, i just do not see a "below Average" WR. Its not like he is a #1 WR. That's not his role.

I see him as the same guy he was his rookie and 2nd year seasons. Only reason his paper production increased was because he had more time to run his routes. He's a guy who has and always will struggle getting separation.

He's a guy you would replace if you got the chance but could live with him as the #2 WR. Which had to have been the Seahawks thinking when they traded for Harvin.

PistolHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to the topic, I want to see a few things:

1. I want to see the both sides of the ball picking up where they left off in terms of tempo and execution.
2. Getting off the field on 3rd downs on D and getting 3rd and short situations on offense. Like RW said the other day, if we can just convert 1 more 3rd down per game, that would be huge.
3. James Carpenter, John Moffit and JR Sweezy - I want all three of these guys to take the next step this year, especially Carp. I know he has a foot thing and probably won't play tomorrow but as long as he has a consistent season, I'll be happy.
4. Pass Rush - a lot of injuries right now so probably won't see too many starters tomorrow, but it would be nice if some of these new guys got penetration none the less.
5. Christine Michael - heard he'll be seeing a lot of time tomorrow, let's see what he can do.
6. Chris Harper and Luke Wilson - Can they cause some match up problems with their size and speed.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Christine Michael: Robert Turbin will be the 2nd stringer so the preseason will likely be one of the few times we get an extended look at Michael unless someone goes down. Although I will rip my hair out if he runs for 100 yards against 3rd stringers and people start saying we should start him over Lynch, when the team is playing well preseason hysteria seems to run strong in Seahawk fans. Don't even get me started on Mike Teel, jesus.

I dont think that Turbin has the back-up role locked up at all. Michael could definitely take it, and will IMO.

Stratman72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get all of the Tate is an "ok" number 2 crap? The dude came out and made some huge plays when we needed him last year. And he made them at critical times. I believe he actually won a couple of games for us.

Granted , it took him a couple of years to show his stuff, but I think he will only get better this year. No way is he a bust!

And he doesn't miss any games to injury!!

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see all the guys battling for position and roster spots. Most everybody has been covered, I like to add the LBs Lotulelie ( got high hope for him) Mike Morgan ( on the bubble, but I thinks he sticks) , Malcom Smith and Brien Scofield.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say he's a bust, I just think he's a below average starting WR. Not a bad #2, just not a good one either. But I do agree with your assessment of him. He has trouble getting separation and that's why he did so much better last year than in the past, Wilson gave him more time to get open.

But I think he could be a solid PR. If I recall correctly he tried returning some punts that were just stupid, so it will take some practice and coaching but I think he can handle the PR duties.
Tate improved last year and hopefully takes another step this season. When you look around the league, just how many clearly better #2 are there, not that many IMO.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tate is as dangerous as anyone once he has the ball in his hands in open space, he is a solid number 2. His hands are very good and he runs like a RB. He also has the body control and that one thing you can not measure. That "DESIRE to WIN." I don't mean that as just games but when the ball is coming his way he wants to win, he wants to go GET IT and when he does he isn't done with it.

Sure he may not be the biggest WR or the fastest or strongest but his desire to just win the current play every play every game is something special. We need more Tates on this team.

Last edited by a moderator:

nflspense

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really excited for this game, cause there's actually a bunch of people that I want to see, who will actually play more then a couple snaps. Alvin Bailey, Luke Wilson, Phil Bates, Derrick Coleman, Spencer Ware, O'Brien Schofield, Will Blackmon, John Lotulelei, and whoever suits up on the DLine.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figured we can regulate our talk about the first preseason game to one thread.

What is everyone looking forward to seeing (other than football finally being back)?

Here are some things I'd like to see:
Stephen Williams: I know he is quite gifted athletically (6'5 200lbs 4.5 40), and a few Cardinals fans on CBS were really high on him. But what really surprised me was that in the Seahawks preseason depth chart he was listed as a 2nd stringer right behind Golden Tate. I believe he was behind Larry Fitzgerald, Early Doucet, Michael Floyd and Andre Roberts with the Cardinals, but it seems the Seahawks really like him. He has been underwhelming so far in the NFL, so seeing him listed so highly on the depth chart is an interesting move and I'm looking forward to seeing how much he has improved.
J.R. Sweezy: Gotta give some love to the offensive line. I've heard Sweezy has been looking good and I recall how raw he looked last preseason. With another year of experience under his belt it should be interesting to see how he performs. He is listed as the starter at RG, ahead of Moffitt.
Luke Willson: I really liked this draft pick and felt that Anthony McCoy's injury was a blessing in disguise. Willson is very athletic and will (hopefully) finally give the Seahawks FO the #2 TE they've been trying to find for years.
DT Play: The Seahawks drafted Jordan Hill and Jesse Williams and signed Tony McDaniel to replace Alan Branch. Looking forward to seeing them battle it out for playing time.
PR/KR game: Leon Washington was obviously an expensive luxury after having traded for Percy Harvin but after Harvin's injury you have to wonder how much Washington will be missed. I can't even begin to count the amount of times he has saved us.
LB Depth: The Seahawks are quite deep on most positions but LB truly is not one of them. Hoping to see someone stand out at LB in the preseason the way David Hawthorne did back as a rookie.

Well Kudos for a excellent post.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the first team to last guys in the 4th quarter, I want to see a consistent pass rush. This has lacked severely the last few years. I agree with SP teams as well with Leon Washington gone. It's finally nice to really get this season underway!

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just figured the opponents offense was going to move the chains on 3rd and long. I have all the confidence in the world the Hawks would stop a 3rd and 3 or less.