• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Other Olympics Thread

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
close second

BgYgNQiCcAEF-1G.jpg

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Granted I've watched about 2 hours of live coverage and most of what I get is the shitty NBC primetime pupu platter, but why do these announcers always make it seem like an upset when a gold medalist from Vancouver doesn't medal in Sochi? 4 years is a lot of time between events - it especially pissed me off in the women's downhill when they said Lindsay Vonn was a favorite before she pulled out of these games. I know they have to dumb down the coverage for the uneducated masses, but it has gotten beyond homerific - as a viewer, I feel insulted. I see what bluewolf was saying about the US based media. I'd watch the games on Univision, but unfortunately they aren't covering them.

NBCs coverage is going to make me go into a rage. The figure skating the other night (Team event - pairs short) went like this;

American Skaters
2 mins Commercial
American Skaters score
2 minute story on skater's dad's hat
2 mins Commercial
Another pair, pair's score - leaderboard now completely filled with skaters we never saw.
2 mins commercial
Matt Lauer and some woman chatting
5 minute feature on American Ballet dancer at the Bolshoi (WTF?)
Another pair, pair score. 2 new different pairs on leaderboard we didn't see
2 mins commercial
Russian skaters getting ready. Shot of Putin
Commercial
Russian skaters routine
Commercial
Russian Skaters' score
Commercial
Two more skaters. Their score.

That filled an hour. They showed (5) two minute routines in AN HOUR and missed three or four routines that at one point led the event.

Meanwhile, MSNBC is showing a replay of a prison show and NBCSports is showing a soccer game between two bar teams in Wales (okay, probably not bar teams). HOW ABOUT WE SEE SOME COMPETITION, HUH?

Also, today while watching Can/Nor online I got a commercial for the BMW i3 at every whistle. Only content that was not buffering, too.

:gaah:

BlueWolfZero

Disruptive troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After some analysis, Canada's quick start is masking an overall disappointment, medal wise. Infostrada and Sports illustrated predicted 33/31 medals, which would have put us right in the running overall. Unfortunately we're already 7/5 medals back. We've missed out on alpine skiing (2), x-country, luge (2), short-track (2), snowboard (2) and long-track. The only unexpected medal has been Denny.

Going to need our contenders to pull through, plus a few surprises to contend top 3. Medals aren't everything but it would be nice to prove Vancouver wasn't a fluke performance.

SI's medal predictions for the most part were ridiculous, and obviously made before some athletes got injured and with a general lack of knowledge about what athletes were doing coming into the games. No doubt we have had let downs like O'Brien, Parrot, Gough and Guay (though I didn't think he had a shot) but by my count we are only a -3 in medal output given overall projections. A couple of surprises could have us finish with as many as 34. The Americans meanwhile are having a rough time. They are a -8 to this point

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBCs coverage is going to make me go into a rage. The figure skating the other night (Team event - pairs short) went like this;

American Skaters
2 mins Commercial
American Skaters score
2 mins Commercial
Another pair, pair's score - leaderboard now completely filled with skaters we never saw.
2 mins commercial
2 mins commercial
Commercial
Russian skaters routine
Commercial
Russian Skaters' score
Commercial

That filled an hour. They showed (5) two minute routines in AN HOUR and missed three or four routines that at one point led the event.

Meanwhile, MSNBC is showing a replay of a prison show and NBCSports is showing a soccer game between two bar teams in Wales (okay, probably not bar teams). HOW ABOUT WE SEE SOME COMPETITION, HUH?

Also, today while watching Can/Nor online I got a commercial for the BMW i3 at every whistle. Only content that was not buffering, too.

It's never going to change. They have every intention of getting their money back. Heck they're probably expecting to make a profit.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's never going to change. They have every intention of getting their money back. Heck they're probably expecting to make a profit.

But me, a guy who has leaded gasoline in his veins and a heart made by Volkswagen, is kind of considering an ELECTRIC CAR.

This is the real travesty here.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard a lot of people having issues with streaming on NBC...I have AdBlock, does the trick.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard a lot of people having issues with streaming on NBC...I have AdBlock, does the trick.

I got an ad in the Canada/Norway game during action with thirty seconds left in the game.

What the heck.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got an ad in the Canada/Norway game during action with thirty seconds left in the game.

What the heck.

Even with adblock I've been getting some random pop-ins, but they just flash up for maybe 2 seconds and go away. It just flashes the "Coverage will continue shortly" screen and goes away.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What the heck.

But more importantly, what do you think of the BMW i3?

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SI's medal predictions for the most part were ridiculous, and obviously made before some athletes got injured and with a general lack of knowledge about what athletes were doing coming into the games. No doubt we have had let downs like O'Brien, Parrot, Gough and Guay (though I didn't think he had a shot) but by my count we are only a -3 in medal output given overall projections. A couple of surprises could have us finish with as many as 34. The Americans meanwhile are having a rough time. They are a -8 to this point

The infostrada ones were based purely on world cup and world championship type events, so they didn't have Canada as a men's hockey medallist and guys like Pluschenko weren't even considered. And yeah, they had Guay in there as well.

I think we can take a few extra in the snowboard and ski-cross events, and maybe snowboard slalom, plus hopefully a few surprises in skeleton or even x-country skiing.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Norway are wearing pants that are not Putin approved at the curling rink...

sherbert1421

Dead Wings 2.0
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

American Skaters
2 mins Commercial
American Skaters score
2 mins Commercial
2 mins commercial
2 mins commercial
Commercial
Russian skaters routine
Commercial
Russian Skaters' score
Commercial

nbc's coverage is a joke. since i live close to the border i can get both nbc and cbc. cbc's coverage is far better imo. Though i wish they wouldn't show curling so much. those damn canadians and their curling :D

BlueWolfZero

Disruptive troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Brad Jacobs has pulled his head out of his ass finally....huge win over Captain Loud Pants

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Luge was a special kind of crazy, until I watched skeleton last night, that takes the crazy up a level or two.
And the announcers were killing me... "you want to be relaxed, you want to be the butter on top of the toast."
Ahh yeah, I could watch that kind of crazy all night.

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and somehow the freestyle skiing, of slope style, or whatever they call it with the Swedish kid who looks like he grabbed the wrong suitcase at customs and got a jacket + pants twice his size, though it may be great on it's own... you just can't follow skeleton. You can't. Skeleton is a closer.
That's like Metallica opening for Nickleback. There no reason for you to go on now Nickleback. It's over. Go home. You're lame.

BlueWolfZero

Disruptive troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another US medal favorite fails. Ted Ligety in the combined.....shocker again

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Luge was a special kind of crazy, until I watched skeleton last night, that takes the crazy up a level or two.
And the announcers were killing me... "you want to be relaxed, you want to be the butter on top of the toast."
Ahh yeah, I could watch that kind of crazy all night.

I don't know if I want to do Skeleton or Snowboard cross more.

Another US medal favorite fails. Ted Ligety in the combined.....shocker again

You must be mistaken. All of the soft fuzzy focus features I have seen have told me they are invincible.

Perhaps if they practiced a little more instead of doing photoshoots, it would have been different.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and also - Scott Hamilton is Darren Pang. I am sure of it.