• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Off-Topic VT Thread

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Online classes are the shit. My ADD kicks in during lectures and I learn everything from studying at home anyways. Those lecture videos were great for me because I could sit back and pause it when my mind begins to wonder, and restart it when I get back on track. They were great for a good review the day of the exam too.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's the ones where students are supposed to listen to recorded lectures but obviously don't and it may be a gray area type course where nuance and critical thinking can only come out in the lectures and discussions that I think does students a disservice if taught online.

I agree with that but there are certain courses, history courses for example, where critical thinking doesn't even come into play. History is history. No way to really contradict it or debate about it. It is what it is and you're basically relearning history (for the 5th time). You learn information and regurgitate it. Now, if you plan on becoming a history major, onlining it isn't a good idea ... but I'm not. I took a philosophy class online too and sort of regret that. It was boring, terrible, dry. Maybe more interaction would've made it more interesting. English/writing classes are the same. I see no point in taking those courses in a classroom. Give me my writing assignment. I'll turn it in when it's done.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My daughter and I were talking a few months ago and she freaked out when I told her that a public speaking class was required of all college degrees. She responded with a "maybe they'll offer that class online" (she was kidding before you smart asses respond)

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My daughter and I were talking a few months ago and she freaked out when I told her that a public speaking class was required of all college degrees. She responded with a "maybe they'll offer that class online" (she was kidding before you smart asses respond)

when did that start? of my circle of friends while at VT, i only know of 1 that took a public speaking class

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that but there are certain courses, history courses for example, where critical thinking doesn't even come into play. History is history. No way to really contradict it or debate about it. It is what it is and you're basically relearning history (for the 5th time). You learn information and regurgitate it. Now, if you plan on becoming a history major, onlining it isn't a good idea ... but I'm not. I took a philosophy class online too and sort of regret that. It was boring, terrible, dry. Maybe more interaction would've made it more interesting. English/writing classes are the same. I see no point in taking those courses in a classroom. Give me my writing assignment. I'll turn it in when it's done.

There are tons of different, often contradictory views of history. It does take debate and critical thinking to sift through those and a) decide what you believe really happened, b) learn how to contribute your own reasoning, which in turn helps you decide what you believe because you're contributing to a debate where others will reply with things you hadn't considered, and finally c) learn lessons from what happened and how to apply those lessons to the present. I don't think you have to be a history major to get a lot of benefit from this. What's the saying... Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. We can all learn a lot from history. But most people don't, because they don't pay it much attention or give it much thought beyond rote memorization if/when they do "study" it. Even worse, many people have such a misunderstanding of history because they didn't apply critical thinking, sift through the bad views, and draw the right conclusions that they make very bad judgements regarding the present. The things that are in the core curriculum, like history, are there to broaden people's minds and teach them to think. If they don't have that effect, what was the point?

English/writing classes need classroom time to teach critical thinking as you read, techniques for better writing, etc. A writing assignment alone can't teach that. People need to be taught so they can practice doing things correctly, not just practice making mistakes and having them pointed out after the fact, which is what you'd get from writing assignments sans teaching.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the only person i know that took it was in marketing or something like that.

i cant think of anyone in IDS, or Arch that took it when I was in studio with them...or in PUA when i changed majors....eh...maybe they did, and i somehow squeaked passed the system, lol

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are tons of different, often contradictory views of history. It does take debate and critical thinking to sift through those and a) decide what you believe really happened, b) learn how to contribute your own reasoning, which in turn helps you decide what you believe because you're contributing to a debate where others will reply with things you hadn't considered, and finally c) learn lessons from what happened and how to apply those lessons to the present. I don't think you have to be a history major to get a lot of benefit from this.

I can see you and sparko's point of view. What you are illustrating Hgrad does however, fall more in line with someone who would be a history, english, etc. major etc. There may be some exceptions, but most folks would rather have the option of doing this at your own pace as well. If you wanted to attend some of these classes for the social aspect, to be in more of a group and discuss, then that is great. But I don't necessarily think you need to attend class, to be able to have an open mind and think of different points of view concerning the subject matter. I think it is great that you have the option to take either depending on your preference. Advanced level classes in your major (300level and up) should not really be much of an option IMO, with some minor exceptions.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One skill that I think is understated and undervalued about taking online classes, is the "real world" preparation it may teach. I know in alot of the online classes I have taken, you are given an agenda, maybe a guideline, and deadlines, and it is up to you to get it done when it is supposed to be done (sound familiar..yeah, it sounds like fucking getting up and going to work!!). Only in school you get a bad grade, at work your ass gets fired (after getting several bad grades).

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry to be the smart ass on the smart ass comment...but public speaking classes actually are offered online via webcam connections with the entire class. :yahoo:

I have to take a public speaking course....and I have been putting that bitch off since I started school. I figured i'll wait until the last semester before i am about to graduate, and then I wont give a shit. :lol:

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the entire business school has to take it i believe and there are other majors that require it as well.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry to be the smart ass on the smart ass comment...but public speaking classes actually are offered online via webcam connections with the entire class.

Take that shit sparko!!

Last edited by a moderator:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when did that start? of my circle of friends while at VT, i only know of 1 that took a public speaking class

It's been that way for awhile. You probably didn't realize it because one of your courses in your major qualified as a public speaking course. That's how it is for engineers and I assume for some other majors as well. Since most all the upper level courses require technical presentations, that counts as a public speaking course so engineers at VT don't have to sign up for public speaking because it would be redundant and in some cases, counterproductive due to differences in how technical presentations are given.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fwiw: I think it was a useful class (public speaking that is).plenty of useful andinteresting core classes...plenty not

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been that way for awhile. You probably didn't realize it because one of your courses in your major qualified as a public speaking course. That's how it is for engineers and I assume for some other majors as well. Since most all the upper level courses require technical presentations, that counts as a public speaking course so engineers at VT don't have to sign up for public speaking because it would be redundant and in some cases, counterproductive due to differences in how technical presentations are given.

ah i gotcha, i thought it was being implied that everyone had to take THE public speaking course, i didnt realize other courses could count towards that

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so the NCAA finally gave Miami the notice of allegations, alleging lack of institutional control. Details of what is in it are starting to come out: Y! SPORTS

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oversigning Index: On another front, it's still Alabama and everyone else - CBSSports.com

A link from a thread about Bama but if you look at the bottom, UVA somehow managed to way oversign

13:02:19-Oversigning_Index_Large.jpg

So does this mean Bama will have 10 medical hardships before the pre-season practice starts?

Quiz: If Virginia loses 5 QB's to get to 85 players, how many QB's would they still have on their roster?

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3