• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Off-Topic VT Thread

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I told the guy at the liquor store that Forty_Sixand2 suggested Woodford Reserve.

He told me that will be 90 bucks.

I asked, could he have possibly meant anything cheaper?

He suggested, Makers 46, 2 fingers, 30 bucks.

Sold.

It is not 90 dollars or shouldn't be. It should be 30-35 for a liter.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rocky, if you want to try some good "inexpensive" bourbon, try either Ridgemont Reserve 1792 or Old Granddad 114 (make sure it's the 114 and not the 80 proof). The OGD is pretty cheap and it has a great flavor, just make sure you let it breathe, it's a bit "hot" for me straight out of the bottle.

ridgemont-reserve-1792-750ml.jpg

old-grand-dad-114.jpg

Other ones that I like:

Blanton's
Four Roses

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old Grand Dad kinda fits my situation right now. Ice cubes with it for sipping I would assume?

You are the second one to mention Four Roses.

Knob Creek and Makers seems to be the southern ms bourbon of choice.

Maybe I was being shown a higher priced blend of Woodford?

Ill have to check them all out, see you in a month or so, lol.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, don't touch the Wild Turkey.

Short story: The French company that owns WT tried to put a small Virginia business owned by a certain Hokie family (and SportsHoopla poster) because the name of one of their 6 buck chuck wines was similar to the name of the small boutique winery who only sold out of the winery.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, don't touch the Wild Turkey.

Short story: The French company that owns WT tried to put a small Virginia business owned by a certain Hokie family (and SportsHoopla poster) because the name of one of their 6 buck chuck wines was similar to the name of the small boutique winery who only sold out of the winery.

I steer clear of Wild Turkey after trying their Rye. I hear it's decent with ginger, but I drank it straight and wasn't too fond. :puke:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I steer clear of Wild Turkey after trying their Rye. I hear it's decent with ginger, but I drank it straight and wasn't too fond. :puke:

We ended up changing our name and it ended up for the better but the way it was handled was pretty effed up. They basically told us that we would win in court but they would drag it out long enough that it would cost us close to 1 million in court fees.

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was Woodford Reserve Masters Collection.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old Grand Dad kinda fits my situation right now. Ice cubes with it for sipping I would assume?

You are the second one to mention Four Roses.

Knob Creek and Makers seems to be the southern ms bourbon of choice.

Maybe I was being shown a higher priced blend of Woodford?

Ill have to check them all out, see you in a month or so, lol.

I usually do drink my bourbon on ice (on the occasion I do mix it, I go with Jack & coke). I found this interesting when I found out, but both the OGD and Knob Creek are made by Jim Beam. In my experience, people either love or hate the Four Roses. For me, I found it very smooth w/ an almost butter-y taste.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We ended up changing our name and it ended up for the better but the way it was handled was pretty effed up. They basically told us that we would win in court but they would drag it out long enough that it would cost us close to 1 million in court fees.

Where is your families winery? There are quite a few out on 66 just passed where I live.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woodford, I drink straight.

The only way that I mix my bourbon (I like Jim Beam Black and Makers) is with a squeeze of lime and some soda water, in a Mason jar of course.

yhst-32454102285621_2209_254729853

Almost picked up some of these when I was down at the spring game.

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I usually do drink my bourbon on ice (on the occasion I do mix it, I go with Jack & coke). I found this interesting when I found out, but both the OGD and Knob Creek are made by Jim Beam. In my experience, people either love or hate the Four Roses. For me, I found it very smooth w/ an almost butter-y taste.

The Four Roses previously recommended to me was small batch.

So, I looked it up.

The Kentucky-based distillery combines its two mash recipes with five yeast strains to produce ten different Bourbons. All ten are used in their signature Bourbon, only one goes into their single barrel product, while Four Roses Small Batch uses four different whiskeys.

We find Four Roses Small Batch to be understated, with a very subtle aroma. It feels stronger than its 90 proof on the palate, but can still be enjoyed neat. We taste sweet oak along with caramel before experiencing a long, clean, vanilla finish.

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is your families winery? There are quite a few out on 66 just passed where I live.

I see you are in Manassas.

I lived off 95 in Woodbridge, so far in (Dale City), that I was a walk in the woods away from the Manassas boonies.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll have to check them out. I'm not much of a wine drinker, but my mom loves the stuff. Get some stocking stuffers and help out some hokies while I'm at it.

We do a live music/wood fired pizzas Bistro night every Friday. It is a fun place for a date. If you are heading there, drop me an email as I may be there that weekend if it is in July or August.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see you are in Manassas.

I lived off 95 in Woodbridge, so far in (Dale City), that I was a walk in the woods away from the Manassas boonies.

I'm a stones throw from the Centreville line, but I've spent a bit of time in Woodbridge hanging with a buddy (he's off of Smoketown Rd). Currently looking around the area as I'm looking to buy my first place. Work in Alexandria, but real estate is so much less expensive when you get out to the Manassas/Woodbridge range.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do a live music/wood fired pizzas Bistro night every Friday. It is a fun place for a date. If you are heading there, drop me an email as I may be there that weekend if it is in July or August.

I'll definitely do that. However, if I do end up going when you aren't there, I'm definitely telling them that 46 sent me. :D