• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a big stats guy so it's almost a shame seeing guys like Bonds, Sosa, A-Rod, etc. completely disregarded because of their use of performance enhancing drugs. It's almost like trying to pretend they never existed. They may have cheated, but it's undeniable that they are three of the statistically most accomplished players in MLB history.

Stats enhanced by enhancements aren't anything that interests me. An Athlete in the Olympics found positive for enhancements gets record taking away as it should be. For me, Maris still holds the record at 61 HR's. I know all decades had their own cheats, but nothing compares to performance enhancement like engineered PED's.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want to say how proud of a fan I am that the Mariners gave more of an opportunity to Dustin Ackley and Nick Franklin than they did for Chris Taylor. Hell, they gave more of a chance for Zunino and he appears to have turned it around.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want to say how proud of a fan I am that the Mariners gave more of an opportunity to Dustin Ackley and Nick Franklin than they did for Chris Taylor. Hell, they gave more of a chance for Zunino and he appears to have turned it around.
The Dodgers changed Taylor's swing and approach. There is nothing to suggest the Mariners would have done the same thing and been able to capitalize on his current production.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dodgers changed Taylor's swing and approach. There is nothing to suggest the Mariners would have done the same thing and been able to capitalize on his current production.

Hey that's not fair. Mariners change swings all the time...oh wait you mean in a positive way. Gotcha. :)

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Taylor is having a great year, although we all must admit we never saw this coming. In his first 86 games with the Mariners, he had 0 home runs. Hell, before we gave up on him he had 23 career minor league home runs. Meaning that in 430 minor league games + 86 MLB games he hadn't even come remotely close to indicating that he had anything like the power potential he has displayed in Los Angeles. Dodgers just got kind of lucky with that one.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taylor is having a great year, although we all must admit we never saw this coming. In his first 86 games with the Mariners, he had 0 home runs. Hell, before we gave up on him he had 23 career minor league home runs. Meaning that in 430 minor league games + 86 MLB games he hadn't even come remotely close to indicating that he had anything like the power potential he has displayed in Los Angeles. Dodgers just got kind of lucky with that one.

I know it was striking lightening in a bottle, just goes back to the luck of the Mariners and the problem with Jack.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey that's not fair. Mariners change swings all the time...oh wait you mean in a positive way. Gotcha. :)

Or, they demote you like they did with Saunders.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a blast from the past option that the Mariners could look into that could fill the hole at first:

Adrian Gonzales.

Although he is far from an ideal candidate, I'd expect that the Dodgers would be open to moving him with the way Cody Bellinger has played. He is coming off of a down year in which he has dealt with injuries, but was still a productive player in 2015 and 2016. There's one year remaining on his contract for $22.3m in 2018. With the way the Dodgers essentially print money, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd be willing to eat most of his contract if traded to us. I must add that there is a compelling argument that he may be done.

I'd prefer a longer term option, but he could be another stop-gap until we somehow stumble upon that.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a blast from the past option that the Mariners could look into that could fill the hole at first:

Adrian Gonzales.

Although he is far from an ideal candidate, I'd expect that the Dodgers would be open to moving him with the way Cody Bellinger has played. He is coming off of a down year in which he has dealt with injuries, but was still a productive player in 2015 and 2016. There's one year remaining on his contract for $22.3m in 2018. With the way the Dodgers essentially print money, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd be willing to eat most of his contract if traded to us. I must add that there is a compelling argument that he may be done.

I'd prefer a longer term option, but he could be another stop-gap until we somehow stumble upon that.

Pass.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Adrian Gonzales.

This would be doing the dodgers a favor. I don't think its much of a fit really and especially not worth trading for. you can get A-Gon numbers at the dollar store

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be doing the dodgers a favor. I don't think its much of a fit really and especially not worth trading for. you can get A-Gon numbers at the dollar store

I think you're probably right. I proposed this under the assumption they pay his contract and we essentially give up nothing.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're probably right. I proposed this under the assumption they pay his contract and we essentially give up nothing.
I don't know if he is worth it even if he is free. I really wonder about his health the M's would need a plan B for sure. Sure the upside is that he returns to better offensive numbers in 2018. But I don't think he can stay on the field.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really liked the breakdown of the contract in that article. Not sure he fits any model Jerry likes, but if they can sign him give incentive for him to not finish his career in Seattle would be amazing for the franchise.

I like the opt out idea a lot. If he performs well (which he presumably will), he would likely opt out for an even bigger contract after the year. It would essentially be a 1-2 year commitment unless he were to suddenly implode.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the opt out idea a lot. If he performs well (which he presumably will), he would likely opt out for an even bigger contract after the year. It would essentially be a 1-2 year commitment unless he were to suddenly implode.

How 'bout good ole Fraud Mode? LOL. Shoulda stayed retired. I got a good friend who is a Raider fan. I suggested the Raiders trade Lynch back to the Seahawks for Eddie Lacy. Lynch would never report, which is fine. But the Raiders would get a back an RB as good as Lynch (at this stage in their respective careers) without all of Lynch's drama bullshit.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. AGon's ailing shoulder is beyond repair and it has robbed him of the power he once had as a San Diego Padre. Dude is 2 years younger than Nellie Cruz but his body has much more wear and tear.