• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure of how many of you heard Stanton's press conference yesterday. My takeaways are simply it's good to hear management actually talk but also irritated he spouted about the future of the club because they have so many guys under club control.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure of how many of you heard Stanton's press conference yesterday. My takeaways are simply it's good to hear management actually talk but also irritated he spouted about the future of the club because they have so many guys under club control.
I read what he said. His words feel meaningless in my opinion. One thing specifically that he said "philosophically we want to become younger and more athletic" This statement made me laugh a little bit because you just want to slap him in the face and tell him to look at the farm system right now. Be a lot easier to get younger if the farm didn't look like crap.
The Mariners top prospects from the 2017 season Vogelbach (very athletic) and Neidert, 2016 season O'Neill and Zack Littell neither in the organization anymore. So when the "philosophy" is younger and more athletic yet you trade away your young talent how will this younger more athletic team be made exactly?

It is difficult to listen to the Mariners front office right now.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I forgot to read the article, but from what you said I will save some aggravation and skip it. SMH!

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot to read the article, but from what you said I will save some aggravation and skip it. SMH!

I'd advise not to, especially if you're a Seattle sports fan who wants the sports arena.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners' CEO Discusses Offseason Plans

I can't be the only one that thought the quote below is very rage inducing.

While Dipoto said he did not expect many fireworks over the winter, it seems there’s at least a little space for some additions. What the team likely won’t do, however, is go wild for a major free agent.

Well, looks like we'll just barely miss the playoffs again. Yay!

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keuchel

so average

(first thread i saw and drunk)

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A-Rod: PED usage cost me $40M, reputation

News is kind of slow right now for us non-playoff teams.

Thought this was pretty interesting.

"I remember sitting there at night at maybe 4 or 5 o'clock in the morning -- I probably did this a hundred nights -- and I would look up with tears and say, 'How the 'F' did I get myself in this position?' I'm the only jackass that has pocket aces and figures out a way to lose the hand."

Sounds like he has finally grown up. Wonder how his career would've turned out if he didn't juice. Wonder if he was juicing when he was with the Mariners. I somewhat doubt it considering his HR numbers shot up with the Rangers.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marlins Reportedly Aiming To Drop Payroll To $90 Million

Chief executive officer Derek Jeter suggested at last week’s introductory press conference that the Marlins’ new ownership group may have to make some “unpopular” decisions for the long-term well-being of the franchise, and it appears that a fairly dramatic cut of the payroll is in order. Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald reports that the Marlins are aiming to trim their payroll back to about $90MM — a decrease of $25MM from its 2017 Opening Day mark and nearly $50MM south of where Jason Martinez of MLBTR/Roster Resource projects their 2018 payroll to land at present (once league-minimum players are added to the bill).

So this means the Marlins need to get rid of about $50m of payroll.

If JD loves making trades so much, this could be a place he could look. We don't have much in terms of prospects, but we can take on salary. Bigger issue at hand is that I recall that when the Mariners were working out a trade for Phelps, there was a report that the Marlins were not very interested in our farm system. And that was before we traded O'Neill, lol.

But simply for the sake of speculation (and boredom) here are some guys the Mariners could consider on the Marlins roster:

Giancarlo Stanton, OF: We all know how good he is when he's healthy. He's only going to be 28 next season and I think should warrant serious consideration. I'm unsure what type of prospect package he would require, mostly because taking on his huge contract would be payment enough. If the Mariners want to build for the long-term, Nelson Cruz is going to be 38 in 2018 and a free agent after the end of the season, so the team will need a replacement for him in the middle of the order. Stanton is roughly average defensively in the outfield, but perhaps some time at DH could help him limit the injuries.

Dee Gordon, 2B: This is if the Mariners wanted to get very creative with the roster. Robinson Cano still plays a good 2nd base defensively IMO, but if they wanted to pick up Gordon and move Cano to 1B that could be an option. Such a move would be a bit forced though considering I still believe Cano to have defensive value at 2nd. I mostly list Gordon because I've always liked him a lot. Having two guys like Dee Gordon and Jean Segura at the top of the lineup would be really cool. This idea is definitely forced, but I'd love the idea of having a guy like Dyson hit #9, Gordon hit #1 and Segura hit #2. With Robbie, Cruz, Seager and Zunino behind them, that just screams of run production.

Marcell Ozuna, OF: He is probably going to be the most difficult to obtain. I believe he'll likely command about $10m or so in arbitration and doesn't hit free agency until 2020. As much as I'd love to swing a move for him, I don't think the Mariners have the prospects to make such a trade. If only we still had O'Neill.

Christian Yelich, OF: Yelich is a guy that holds a lot of all around value and also is probably beyond the reach of anything the Mariners could reasonably put together. Yelich is young, cheap, a five-tool player and controllable. The earliest he could hit free agency is 2020 and is only due $7m in 2018, $9.75m in 2019, $12.5m in 2020 and a $15m team option in 2021.

It's almost a shame that a team with such star power has to rid themselves of it. I'd say it's probably more frustrating being a Marlins fan than a Mariners fan. You can make an argument that the Marlins outfield is the best in baseball, and they're all young. Most organizations would look at Stanton, Ozuna and Yelich and figure those are guys you build around, not sell off.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A-Rod: PED usage cost me $40M, reputation

News is kind of slow right now for us non-playoff teams.

Thought this was pretty interesting.

Sounds like he has finally grown up. Wonder how his career would've turned out if he didn't juice. Wonder if he was juicing when he was with the Mariners. I somewhat doubt it considering his HR numbers shot up with the Rangers.

Anything he says he BS. He is trying to become a public figure again and says this crab to be wanted. He didn't lose $40M, he gained $250+M. He is, and always will be, A-Fraud.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marcell Ozuna, OF: He is probably going to be the most difficult to obtain. I believe he'll likely command about $10m or so in arbitration and doesn't hit free agency until 2020. As much as I'd love to swing a move for him, I don't think the Mariners have the prospects to make such a trade. If only we still had O'Neill.

The last time JD tried to get him:

The Mariners are believed to be offering either left-hander Roenis Elias or recently-obtained righty Nathan Karns in return. Nether Elias nor Karns — or Ozuna, for that matter — are yet eligible for salary arbitration.

Some reports suggest any potential deal could expand to include multiple players from each club. One source characterized the talks as "fluid" in part because the Marlins are believed to still be seeking offers from other clubs.

An MLB.com report suggested the Marlins might want right-hander Taijuan Walker, who also isn’t yet eligible for arbitration. But the Mariners, even to be tempted, would likely require a major return to deal Walker.

After Ozuna's breakout season, we have no chance unless maybe for Paxton...which I would do IF we replced Paxton with Darvish or Lynn type pitcher.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything he says he BS. He is trying to become a public figure again and says this crab to be wanted. He didn't lose $40M, he gained $250+M. He is, and always will be, A-Fraud.

You could be right. I'd just like to think that now that he's 42 years old he probably does regret it since he's not playing anymore. PEDs aside he's one of the best baseball players in the last 40 years, but his legacy will always be tainted.

The last time JD tried to get him:

The Mariners are believed to be offering either left-hander Roenis Elias or recently-obtained righty Nathan Karns in return. Nether Elias nor Karns — or Ozuna, for that matter — are yet eligible for salary arbitration.

Some reports suggest any potential deal could expand to include multiple players from each club. One source characterized the talks as "fluid" in part because the Marlins are believed to still be seeking offers from other clubs.

An MLB.com report suggested the Marlins might want right-hander Taijuan Walker, who also isn’t yet eligible for arbitration. But the Mariners, even to be tempted, would likely require a major return to deal Walker.

After Ozuna's breakout season, we have no chance unless maybe for Paxton...which I would do IF we replced Paxton with Darvish or Lynn type pitcher.

I think the biggest reason the Marlins are looking into moving Ozuna is because they want to shed as much salary as possible. I don't know how much interest they would even have in Paxton due to his age, injuries and him now being arbitration eligible.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the biggest reason the Marlins are looking into moving Ozuna is because they want to shed as much salary as possible. I don't know how much interest they would even have in Paxton due to his age, injuries and him now being arbitration eligible.

But he is our ACE! :)

I think they keep him and try to move Stanton. That would free up a lot of money while still keeping some integrity (One man vs having to move 5 or more) in the roster.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he is our ACE! :)

I think they keep him and try to move Stanton. That would free up a lot of money while still keeping some integrity (One man vs having to move 5 or more) in the roster.

Stanton would clear up a bunch of payroll for them, also his contract seems to be a ticking time bomb. A ticking time bomb that it appears the Marlins can't afford to pay for. As much as I'd love to have Stanton, his contract has the possibility to become one of the worst in sports history if Stanton has an injury he can't recover from or loses interest in baseball.

I believe the Yankees have a bunch of money coming off the books and could use an upgrade at DH. Imagine trying to face Judge, Stanton and Gary Sanchez. The three of them combined for 144 home runs.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As it should.

I'm a big stats guy so it's almost a shame seeing guys like Bonds, Sosa, A-Rod, etc. completely disregarded because of their use of performance enhancing drugs. It's almost like trying to pretend they never existed. They may have cheated, but it's undeniable that they are three of the statistically most accomplished players in MLB history.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being a Marlins fan would be worse to me. A team with zero fan support, a taxpayers nightmare of a stadium, along with where the stadium is located. They do have two titles so I can't feel too bad for them.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a big stats guy so it's almost a shame seeing guys like Bonds, Sosa, A-Rod, etc. completely disregarded because of their use of performance enhancing drugs. It's almost like trying to pretend they never existed. They may have cheated, but it's undeniable that they are three of the statistically most accomplished players in MLB history.

The crazy thing is neither Bonds or ARod needed to juice. Sosa needed to but Bonds and Alex were hall of fame players without them especially at the level they took. Most players took some type of PED because clubs over looked it because they helped keep players healthy pre strike. Post strike it spiked because payroll spiked and the more homeruns you hit the higher the contract you got.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marlins Reportedly Aiming To Drop Payroll To $90 Million

So this means the Marlins need to get rid of about $50m of payroll.

If JD loves making trades so much, this could be a place he could look. We don't have much in terms of prospects, but we can take on salary. Bigger issue at hand is that I recall that when the Mariners were working out a trade for Phelps, there was a report that the Marlins were not very interested in our farm system. And that was before we traded O'Neill, lol.

But simply for the sake of speculation (and boredom) here are some guys the Mariners could consider on the Marlins roster:

Giancarlo Stanton, OF: We all know how good he is when he's healthy. He's only going to be 28 next season and I think should warrant serious consideration. I'm unsure what type of prospect package he would require, mostly because taking on his huge contract would be payment enough. If the Mariners want to build for the long-term, Nelson Cruz is going to be 38 in 2018 and a free agent after the end of the season, so the team will need a replacement for him in the middle of the order. Stanton is roughly average defensively in the outfield, but perhaps some time at DH could help him limit the injuries.

Dee Gordon, 2B: This is if the Mariners wanted to get very creative with the roster. Robinson Cano still plays a good 2nd base defensively IMO, but if they wanted to pick up Gordon and move Cano to 1B that could be an option. Such a move would be a bit forced though considering I still believe Cano to have defensive value at 2nd. I mostly list Gordon because I've always liked him a lot. Having two guys like Dee Gordon and Jean Segura at the top of the lineup would be really cool. This idea is definitely forced, but I'd love the idea of having a guy like Dyson hit #9, Gordon hit #1 and Segura hit #2. With Robbie, Cruz, Seager and Zunino behind them, that just screams of run production.

Christian Yelich, OF: Yelich is a guy that holds a lot of all around value and also is probably beyond the reach of anything the Mariners could reasonably put together. Yelich is young, cheap, a five-tool player and controllable. The earliest he could hit free agency is 2020 and is only due $7m in 2018, $9.75m in 2019, $12.5m in 2020 and a $15m team option in 2021.

It's almost a shame that a team with such star power has to rid themselves of it. I'd say it's probably more frustrating being a Marlins fan than a Mariners fan. You can make an argument that the Marlins outfield is the best in baseball, and they're all young. Most organizations would look at Stanton, Ozuna and Yelich and figure those are guys you build around, not sell off.
I read this a little blurred and thought it said Mariners for a second and got really mad.