• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dipoto says the heavy lifting is done for building his roster

with a straight face

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dipoto says the heavy lifting is done for building his roster

with a straight face
Sorry didn't know what rating to do. Dislike, Facepalm, laughing and Shit all applied

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is heavily favored for M's, but every other trade Marlins have done this offseason, besides the one one with M's, have been favorable to the trading partners. We gave up the most talent for the lesser of the three they traded and they paid his entire salary. That makes no sense.

Mariners Baseball

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious who says no:

Zunino and Game

for

Yelich and Realmuto

M's get the talent while Marlins get cost savings
I'd do it just for Yelich. I mean, I like Realmuto too but, for a catcher, he has played way too much the last two years. I have a feeling that offensively, he's going to burn out soon.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unsure if that link will work. Here’s all you need to know though

Attachments

• 489D80DC-5B8B-45D3-8812-02EADE64AEAF.jpeg
    489D80DC-5B8B-45D3-8812-02EADE64AEAF.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 16

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unsure if that link will work. Here’s all you need to know though
Link works, didnt feel like reading it, mostly because Im sure hes trying to sell some bullshit on how the is ready to compete

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious who says no:

Zunino and Game

for

Yelich and Realmuto

M's get the talent while Marlins get cost savings

But where would Gordon play?

I kid

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean 1000% yes from me but doubt that's a realistic option. Even if you swapped Gamel and Haniger.

I mean I'm pretty anti Gamel and am not excited to see him start everyday

I'm not anti Gamel, I just don't see where he fits into Jerry's puzzle, he is a lefty which is a no no in the analytics world, he doesn't have a plus attribute besides hustle. I prefer him over Haniger but Gamel is a sell high guy in this system Jerry prefers.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Link works, didnt feel like reading it, mostly because Im sure hes trying to sell some bullshit on how the is ready to compete

To be fair, the Mariners are only 4 SP's, 2 relievers, a 1B, Zunino to have a full year, and a power OF bat away. I'm sure with all the controllable guys they have accumulated it's all there.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
by Colby Patnode16 hours agoFollow @CPat11

The absolute transaction blackout drags on for another day, and Mariners fans are becoming a bit restless. The Mariners still need to add at least 1 starter, and have not been linked to top starters Yu Darvish or Jake Arrieta.

However, Seattle has been roughly linked to starters Lance Lynn and Alex Cobb. Today, on MLB Tonight, Jon Morosi reported the Mariners are at least ” willing to entertain the idea of Cobb or Lynn.” He also added the may prefer Lynn, because he is “more durable” than Cobb. You can hear his full remarks by clicking here.

Not exactly a hard link to either arm, but it does raise an interesting question. Which pitcher is the better fit for the Seattle Mariners? Before we answer that, we must first know what GM Jerry Dipoto typically looks for in a starting pitcher.

---------------------------

Something I can get behind. Of course the greedy fan I was would ask why not both?

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not anti Gamel, I just don't see where he fits into Jerry's puzzle, he is a lefty which is a no no in the analytics world, he doesn't have a plus attribute besides hustle. I prefer him over Haniger but Gamel is a sell high guy in this system Jerry prefers.
I guess I could be too high on Haniger. Maybe he's one of those guys that wont stay but I liked what I saw for the most part when he was in there. I just really don't see much with Gamel. Like you said, no plus attributes and is probably a platoon player at best. Six weeks of unsustainable BABIP made his year look better then it was. It was my hope that Dipoto saw that too but who knows.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I could be too high on Haniger. Maybe he's one of those guys that wont stay but I liked what I saw for the most part when he was in there. I just really don't see much with Gamel. Like you said, no plus attributes and is probably a platoon player at best. Six weeks of unsustainable BABIP made his year look better then it was. It was my hope that Dipoto saw that too but who knows.

I'm not anti Haniger, just not high on expectations for him for being able to play everyday, mostly because injuries just found him.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Kaplan of NBC Sports Chicago said on the network's Cubs Talk Podcast on Thursday that Alex Cobb rejected a three-year, $42 million offer from the Cubs this offseason.

Kaplan hears that Cobb was "interested" in the offer but was convinced by his agent to turn it down. It's unclear when the offer was extended, but Kaplan says the Cubs would put it back on the table "in a second" if Cobb has a change of heart. Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports has reported that Cobb "is believed to be willing to sign in the four-year, $70 million range," which is a bit less than the $20 million AAV he reportedly had been seeking. The Orioles, Cardinals, Rangers, Yankees and Brewers are other clubs that have been connected to Cobb.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you are too high on Haniger. I actually think Haniger is pretty legit. I agree with you on Gamel, his stats were very inflated, hot start and really cold to finish. He probably has some trade value which is what I wanted to see Dipoto do but then again Dipoto would probably make a trade in line with Gamel straight up for a cheap whore. Then tell the fans how the presence of a "lady" in the locker room will help.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Kaplan of NBC Sports Chicago said on the network's Cubs Talk Podcast on Thursday that Alex Cobb rejected a three-year, $42 million offer from the Cubs this offseason.

Kaplan hears that Cobb was "interested" in the offer but was convinced by his agent to turn it down. It's unclear when the offer was extended, but Kaplan says the Cubs would put it back on the table "in a second" if Cobb has a change of heart. Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports has reported that Cobb "is believed to be willing to sign in the four-year, $70 million range," which is a bit less than the $20 million AAV he reportedly had been seeking. The Orioles, Cardinals, Rangers, Yankees and Brewers are other clubs that have been connected to Cobb.
hmm... 42 over 3 years is really close to what I would have expected for Cobb. I can't believe Dip isn't trying to get this guy, I guess it makes too much sense.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you are too high on Haniger. I actually think Haniger is pretty legit. I agree with you on Gamel, his stats were very inflated, hot start and really cold to finish. He probably has some trade value which is what I wanted to see Dipoto do but then again Dipoto would probably make a trade in line with Gamel straight up for a cheap whore. Then tell the fans how the presence of a "lady" in the locker room will help.

If I was coming off negative towards Haniger to you guys I didn't mean for it to come out that way. When he was healthy the dude was a stud, but from last (small sample) it seems like he is essentially James Paxton but in the field. Not saying trade, if anything it should make Gamel expendable but I just wouldn't go into the season with Haniger as the RF alone as the strategy.

Get a LF or RF, then pencil in Haniger with Heredia as his backup, not those two as starters since you will essentially be forced into having plan B's for two positions, which then means Gamel cannot be dealt, and we are all in agreement that he is a guy Jerry should sell high on.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was coming off negative towards Haniger to you guys I didn't mean for it to come out that way. When he was healthy the dude was a stud, but from last (small sample) it seems like he is essentially James Paxton but in the field. Not saying trade, if anything it should make Gamel expendable but I just wouldn't go into the season with Haniger as the RF alone as the strategy.

Get a LF or RF, then pencil in Haniger with Heredia as his backup, not those two as starters since you will essentially be forced into having plan B's for two positions, which then means Gamel cannot be dealt, and we are all in agreement that he is a guy Jerry should sell high on.
No I get what you are saying... If Haniger can stay healthy he is the guy for sure. I don't really know if we can say he is prone to injury yet though. Yes his first full season in the majors had some injuries, the oblique and the fast ball to the face, was there a third DL stint? I can't remember. Regardless I think you are correct there should be a better back up plan than what Dip has right now but I think we all know its not going to happen.

There is a million question marks in the outfield, it is almost insane.
-Can Dee Gordon play center? I think he will end up being ok out there but probably not great.
-Which Gamel do you get? The Gamel from May and June or the garbage from August and September.
-Haniger stay healthy? This is probably the question I am least worried about to be honest. However if he goes down, it might turn into a mess.
-Heredia is a decent 4th outfielder and in my opinion could end up taking job from Gamel. And like Gamel he started season hot and ended fairly cold.

Who knows man its shaping up to be a complete shit show again so we will see.