• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to justify, to me at least, spending that much money on guys who shouldn't be throwing a ton of innings. If you are spending that much money on the bullpen then you already have no wiggle room with your starters, have a great offense because if your bullpen ERA is above 3.50 then you have no shot at the playoffs. But all of this is moot if the players can finally expand the roster to 28 like they want cause you can carry a bunch of long relievers like the Mariners currently have as starters.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners are finally number 1 at something, with the Bill making the playoffs this year, the Mariners now have the longest playoff drought in all of sports

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners are finally number 1 at something, with the Bill making the playoffs this year, the Mariners now have the longest playoff drought in all of sports

And sadly, IMO it will stay that way until we have management that has a solid direction. Can't say you are rebuilding then spend boat loads on free agents then vice versa. Nor can you hire an analytics guys who comes in and builds a team against analytics, just team control.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And sadly, IMO it will stay that way until we have management that has a solid direction. Can't say you are rebuilding then spend boat loads on free agents then vice versa. Nor can you hire an analytics guys who comes in and builds a team against analytics, just team control.

Sadly enough, MLB does not create a winner atmosphere amongst ownership. There is little incentive to win. Look at the Marlins and Mariners respective sales. Both franchises tied for 26th all-time in winning percentage and selloff ungodly money. Why spend? Only owners with a competitive drive cares about the standings, the rest care about the $$$. I say have a top and bottom salary cap with all ticket revenue going into a pot with final standings from top to bottom getting a cut. Higher finish, higher cut. For teams that don't put enough revenue from sales in the pot, they have to pay into it. Some incentive structure could create higher competition amongst ownerships.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly enough, MLB does not create a winner atmosphere amongst ownership. There is little incentive to win. Look at the Marlins and Mariners respective sales. Both franchises tied for 26th all-time in winning percentage and selloff ungodly money. Why spend? Only owners with a competitive drive cares about the standings, the rest care about the $$$. I say have a top and bottom salary cap with all ticket revenue going into a pot with final standings from top to bottom getting a cut. Higher finish, higher cut. For teams that don't put enough revenue from sales in the pot, they have to pay into it. Some incentive structure could create higher competition amongst ownerships.

All of this I agree with, but the problem is the MLBPA doesn't give two cents about the business practices of it unlike the other two major sports so when contract time comes I doubt it is even brought up, let alone the new commisioner does seem to dislike baseball from all of his "ideas" that I've read about. Competitive balance is always a taboo word because it insinuates a salary cap, but ownership balance when you aren't there just to collect money would be a good start. That is the one thing I always give Steinbrenner credit for is he was outspoken about how owners shouldn't own teams to make money, you own a team to win championships.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cardinals just signed Mariner career minor league Steve Baron. They'll probably convert him to another position and he'll hit 25 homers and 90 RBI next year.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cardinals just signed Mariner career minor league Steve Baron. They'll probably convert him to another position and he'll hit 25 homers and 90 RBI next year.

Never liked the kid ever since he screwed them right out of the gate.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never liked the kid ever since he screwed them right out of the gate.

How did he screw them? I'm not up to date about minor leaguers anymore.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Appreciate Dipoto admitting he was wrong on this but it just adds to my skepticism on him being able to build a pitching staff

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did he screw them? I'm not up to date about minor leaguers anymore.

That year M's had 3 1st round picks and couldn't/wouldn't pay 1st round money for all 3 so they called his agent and he and his agent agreed to take a set amount that was less than slot. M's drafted him and he turned and said I want more than slot now. He was never a 1st round talent and was only drafted there because he agreed to take appropriate round money then said screw you pay up.

That has always stuck with me. That ticked me off along with the M's cheaping out and not taking real 1st round talent that they ended up paying for anyways. Arenado went 59th that year Baron went 33rd...ugh!!!

That year we drafted Ackley, Franklin, and Baron in the first round...Goldschmidt went in 8th round. Way off topic I know, bust just think what we could have had. They could have easily had Trout in the 1st round if we didn't sign Josh Fields at the last minute from the previous draft, Arenado with either of the last two 1st round picks, and multiple chances at Goldschmidt.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Appreciate Dipoto admitting he was wrong on this but it just adds to my skepticism on him being able to build a pitching staff

Sweet, so one lost season of building him arm into a starter. Brandon Morrow 2.0?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That year M's had 3 1st round picks and couldn't/wouldn't pay 1st round money for all 3 so they called his agent and he and his agent agreed to take a set amount that was less than slot. M's drafted him and he turned and said I want more than slot now. He was never a 1st round talent and was only drafted there because he agreed to take appropriate round money then said screw you pay up.

That has always stuck with me. That ticked me off along with the M's cheaping out and not taking real 1st round talent that they ended up paying for anyways. Arenado went 59th that year Baron went 33rd...ugh!!!

That year we drafted Ackley, Franklin, and Baron in the first round...Goldschmidt went in 8th round. Way off topic I know, bust just think what we could have had. They could have easily had Trout in the 1st round if we didn't sign Josh Fields at the last minute from the previous draft, Arenado with either of the last two 1st round picks, and multiple chances at Goldschmidt.

Did not know that but ya, anytime you look at the Mariners classes then look at what they could've had it is depressing.

But I thought the Mariners gave up the pick that turned into Trout because they signed Figgins?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But I thought the Mariners gave up the pick that turned into Trout because they signed Figgins?

No, it was the Josh Fields the previous year that Bavasi made but didn't sign then Jack took over and signed the s.o.b. at the deadline. If they didn't sign him we would have had the pick right before the Angels pick which ended up being Trout. The topper was that Jack said they had eye on Trout so that just shows they know shit. I understand not taking Trout with the #2 pick, but him or someone else over a freaking college relief pitcher? Ugh!!! That ended up being a really good draft and we missed on most every pick outside of Seager.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I had to look it up to see how Angels got that pick:

Mike Trout
(Angels-1) - Pick from Yankees as compensation for Free Agent Mark Teixeira

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious who says no:

Zunino and Game

for

Yelich and Realmuto

M's get the talent while Marlins get cost savings

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious who says no:

Zunino and Game

for

Yelich and Realmuto

M's get the talent while Marlins get cost savings

I mean 1000% yes from me but doubt that's a realistic option. Even if you swapped Gamel and Haniger.

I mean I'm pretty anti Gamel and am not excited to see him start everyday

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean 1000% yes from me but doubt that's a realistic option. Even if you swapped Gamel and Haniger.

I mean I'm pretty anti Gamel and am not excited to see him start everyday

I know this is heavily favored for M's, but every other trade Marlins have done this offseason, besides the one one with M's, have been favorable to the trading partners. We gave up the most talent for the lesser of the three they traded and they paid his entire salary. That makes no sense. DIP needs to gain balls and make them an offer of 'controllable' players while saving them about $7M per year for the length of Yelich's contract. I know the M's won't do that, but some other team will r*pe them on a deal. I don't care if they throw in Vogelbach and Moore.