• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello M's!!! Seager for Sano works for me. Yes he is injured a lot, but high potential and a lot cheaper...and DIP's favorite word...controllable.

Sano isn't a great defensive 3B, but why would they want Seager and his contract over Sano and his contract? Sano looks like he still has a higher peak, whereas it's arguable that Seager hit his peak last year. I think Sano's trade value is 1.5x Seager.

We'd have to throw in other pieces when we only have scraps. I'd do it in a heartbeat, but there's not a prayer a Seager for Sano trade would work out.

Sano would be a great long-term move, but as you can tell, JD is merely trying to get a contract extension. He's throwing his chips in now hoping we make the playoffs next year. What does he have to lose? He has thrown away all our farm system, I think he just wants one more contract. Dipoto is at the poker table and going all in, but unfortunately he doesn't have the chips to compete.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sano isn't a great defensive 3B, but why would they want Seager and his contract over Sano and his contract? Sano looks like he still has a higher peak, whereas it's arguable that Seager hit his peak last year. I think Sano's trade value is 1.5x Seager.

We'd have to throw in other pieces when we only have scraps. I'd do it in a heartbeat, but there's not a prayer a Seager for Sano trade would work out.

Sano would be a great long-term move, but as you can tell, JD is merely trying to get a contract extension. He's throwing his chips in now hoping we make the playoffs next year. What does he have to lose? He has thrown away all our farm system, I think he just wants one more contract. Dipoto is at the poker table and going all in, but unfortunately he doesn't have the chips to compete.

1- He is injured every year and his manager just said it would be impossible to see him play more than 140 in a season.

2- He is in trouble with the law/MLB over sexual harassment charge from 2015 that just came out today.

3- Twins have a hard time signing big name position players so trading for one and overpaying a bit is their best way.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1- He is injured every year and his manager just said it would be impossible to see him play more than 140 in a season.

2- He is in trouble with the law/MLB over sexual harassment charge from 2015 that just came out today.

3- Twins have a hard time signing big name position players so trading for one and overpaying a bit is their best way.

All that considered, he's still a great player and I'd make a straight up trade in a second.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that considered, he's still a great player and I'd make a straight up trade in a second.

I would too.It depends if Minny is feeling the need to for a vet or a guy with higher upside but issues.

Ironically Fangraphs projects both at a 3.6 WAR for 2018.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would too.It depends if Minny is feeling the need to for a vet or a guy with higher upside but issues.

Ironically Fangraphs projects both at a 3.6 WAR for 2018.

Yea I just don't see it from their prospective unless they truly want to cut bait and add significant payroll for a marginal upgrade at best. Sano is 24 and under club control thru 2022. Seagar is 30 and also signed thru 2022 at significant money.
Seagar was incredibly underwhelming last year as he had his worst offensive season I think since 2012. So with his contract and age he's a tough sell right now I would think

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some teams that know they can’t get by on their rotation, smartly spend on the pen

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I just don't see it from their prospective unless they truly want to cut bait and add significant payroll for a marginal upgrade at best. Sano is 24 and under club control thru 2022. Seagar is 30 and also signed thru 2022 at significant money.
Seagar was incredibly underwhelming last year as he had his worst offensive season I think since 2012. So with his contract and age he's a tough sell right now I would think

This is my thought process as well.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some teams that know they can’t get by on their rotation, smartly spend on the pen

Never been a huge fan of spending a lot of money on the pen. I feel like there are a lot of AAAA starters who convert pretty well to the pen. Additionally I feel like pen arms are a dime a dozen. I can understand allocating substantial resources to a closer and maybe a set up guy, but not the rest.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never been a huge fan of spending a lot of money on the pen. I feel like there are a lot of AAAA starters who convert pretty well to the pen. Additionally I feel like pen arms are a dime a dozen. I can understand allocating substantial resources to a closer and maybe a set up guy, but not the rest.

I can understand that line of thinking. I just think unless you are relying on luck (ie 2017 Twins), then you probably need a strength to make the playoffs. Offense, Starting pitching, Bullpen, defense, etc.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand that line of thinking. I just think unless you are relying on luck (ie 2017 Twins), then you probably need a strength to make the playoffs. Offense, Starting pitching, Bullpen, defense, etc.

Don't disagree there. I'm also just not a huge fan of the guy's they're pursuing. With so much committed to the bullpen, theirs still projects as average at best.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't like spending tons of money on the bullpen either. It is easier to find a good bullpen guy than a good starter. That said in the Mariners case I think Dipoto only had one starting pitching target and that was Ohtani, big reason because he was affordable. I think Dipoto planned on spending in the pen from day one.

To be honest I am ok with the way the bullpen looks right now. I am also ok with the lineup and position players for the most part, the potential is there to have the ability to put up runs. I hope Gordon can play center, fingers crossed. There is just too many question marks in the starting rotation, I don't know if the bullpen or offense will be able to keep up.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest I am ok with the way the bullpen looks right now.

I guess I just don't see any improvement in that group (every add came with an equal subtraction) that I didn't think was very good last year. I still think of Diaz as a shaky closer for a playoff team...oh ya they aren't a playoff team.

I am also ok with the lineup and position players for the most part, the potential is there to have the ability to put up runs.

I agree with the starters being competitive to drive in runs, but my big fear is that I don't see one legit backup available on the roster or in the minors. That could be important if Healy gets the Safeco Flu or if Gordon can't read a fly ball or collides into the wall the wrong way.

I wish them luck.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the pen is alright but I don't see it being special enough to carry a shaky rotation. If Phelps is healthy I will like it a little more. I also do not see Vincent repeating what he did last year nor do I think Scrabble or Pazos are consistent enough to be relied on to get lefties out all the time.

Regarding the offense tell me which version of Cano and Seagar we are getting. Because if its closer to 2017 then 2016 then it wont really matter. Especially since Servais refuses to be even a little creative with the lineup

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I just don't see any improvement in that group (every add came with an equal subtraction) that I didn't think was very good last year. I still think of Diaz as a shaky closer for a playoff team...oh ya they aren't a playoff team.

I agree with the starters being competitive to drive in runs, but my big fear is that I don't see one legit backup available on the roster or in the minors. That could be important if Healy gets the Safeco Flu or if Gordon can't read a fly ball or collides into the wall the wrong way.

I wish them luck.
I thought last years bullpen was middle of the pack, and I think most of the "regulars" where solid. The problem was having to use so damn many different random guys. Almost all of the fill in guys sucked. I definitely don't think the bullpen is worse. As it stands now I think its more of a push. But staying healthy and not getting over worked by a shit rotation would help.

I agree Diaz has shown to be a bit of a shaky closer to this point. But could be worse for a 23 year old. I am hoping the full year in the majors helps and he can improve for 2018.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the pen is alright but I don't see it being special enough to carry a shaky rotation. If Phelps is healthy I will like it a little more. I also do not see Vincent repeating what he did last year nor do I think Scrabble or Pazos are consistent enough to be relied on to get lefties out all the time.
Agreed on all points.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought last years bullpen was middle of the pack, and I think most of the "regulars" where solid. The problem was having to use so damn many different random guys. Almost all of the fill in guys sucked. I definitely don't think the bullpen is worse. As it stands now I think its more of a push. But staying healthy and not getting over worked by a shit rotation would help.

I agree Diaz has shown to be a bit of a shaky closer to this point. But could be worse for a 23 year old. I am hoping the full year in the majors helps and he can improve for 2018.

You are probably right.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LH vs LH

Pazos ranked 20th in wOBA
Rzyp ranked 40th

From AS break to end of season

Pazos ranked 35th
Rzyp ranked 67th.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bleacher Report Offseason Grades To Date:

1. Offseason Moves
      • Nov. 2: UT Andrew Romine claimed off waivers from DET.
      • Nov. 15: 1B Ryon Healy acquired from OAK for SS Alexander Campos and LHP Emilio Pagan.
      • Nov. 16: RHP Thyago Vieira traded to CWS for international bonus money.
      • Nov. 18: RHP Nick Rumbelow acquired from NYY for LHP JP Sears and RHP Juan Then.
      • Nov. 30: LHP Sam Moll claimed off waivers from PIT.
      • Dec. 7: CF Dee Gordon and international bonus money acquired from MIA for RHP Nick Neidert, SS Chris Torres and RHP Robert Dugger.
      • Dec. 8: RHP Mike Morin claimed off waivers from KC.
      • Dec. 11: OF Cam Perkins claimed off waivers from PHI.
      • Dec. 13: RHP Shawn Armstrong acquired from CLE for international bonus money.
      • Dec. 14: 1B Mike Ford selected in Rule 5 draft.
      • Dec. 20: RHP Juan Nicasio signed in free agency (two years, $17 million).

All of those moves, yet the starting rotation remains a huge question mark.

James Paxton is a legitimate ace if he can stay healthy, Felix Hernandez and Mike Leake are capable middle-of-the-rotation arms at this point in their careers, and the rest of the in-house options are No. 5 starters or organizational depth at best.

Missing out on Shohei Ohtani was an unfortunate blow, but the Mariners need to have a Plan B.

Opening the season with a diminished Hernandez as the No. 2 starter and both Erasmo Ramirez and Marco Gonzales occupying spots in the rotation is not a recipe for success.

Adding Dee Gordon and Ryon Healy should make an already potent lineup that much more dangerous, and Juan Nicasio is a good pickup for the bullpen.

It all boils down to that starting pitching, though.

Grade: D
-------------------------------------------

They must not see DIP's plan.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello M's!!! Seager for Sano works for me. Yes he is injured a lot, but high potential and a lot cheaper...and DIP's favorite word...controllable.

Zero chance this happens now, if the Mariners pulled off a trade there goes the 10 promotional nights a year for women.