• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only in Marinerville would you see a positive article written about a guy on the official Mariners site but with a mention on how they didn't even protect him for the Rule 5 draft...lol.

Ian Miller an outfield option for Mariners

They don't need to protect him though do They? Isn't is still the team that takes him has to keep him on the main roster for the season or sends him back? I remember the Mariners always got a Rule 5 guy to be the pinch runner, carry him on the roster wasting a slot then just sending him back I thought.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't need to protect him though do They? Isn't is still the team that takes him has to keep him on the main roster for the season or sends him back? I remember the Mariners always got a Rule 5 guy to be the pinch runner, carry him on the roster wasting a slot then just sending him back I thought.

Correct, but a bad team (a worse team than M's) can do that with no issue like the Padres or Phillies for example. I just find it funny the team website hypes this guy as a possible player for M's while saying they can lose him at the same time. If he is worth an article on being a possible contributor, then why expose him to losing him? The Mariners way that is why.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct, but a bad team (a worse team than M's) can do that with no issue like the Padres or Phillies for example. I just find it funny the team website hypes this guy as a possible player for M's while saying they can lose him at the same time. If he is worth an article on being a possible contributor, then why expose him to losing him? The Mariners way that is why.

Aww, I reread what you posted and get it now. Us, they have taken doing dumb things to a whole new level. It's like they do stupid stuff just to stay relevant in the sports fans mind instead of Seahawks, Sounders and the college teams. New slogan, Mariners=Gotta love bad headlines cause at least we are making headlines.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Better than Duda.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Morosi

Shohei Ohtani development: Multiple @MLB team execs believe Ohtani may actually prefer to sign with a club that doesn’t already have a Japanese star; Ohtani’s camp has not commented on that. @MLBNetwork

Jon Morosi

✔@jonmorosi

Brandon Laird, Ohtani’s teammate in Japan, gave credence to that idea, saying, “I feel like he just wants to come and not be compared to other guys who have already been here — to start fresh on his own, show what he can do by himself.” @MLB

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dipoto on KJR-AM says Iwakuma won't be ready to pitch until May or early June, so hope is he's able to contribute in second half as he returns from shoulder surgery.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dipoto on KJR-AM says Iwakuma won't be ready to pitch until May or early June, so hope is he's able to contribute in second half as he returns from shoulder surgery.
As weird as it is I’m relieved to hear this. Makes it so he's not at all an option in any way to start the season.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For those keeping track, here is what we lost:

On Jan. 11, general manager Jerry Dipoto acquired Simmons and outfielder Mallex Smith from the Braves for top pitching prospect Luis Gohara and minor league pitcher Thomas Burrows. Hours later, Dipoto traded Smith, minor league pitcher Ryan Yarbrough and infielder Carlos Vargas to the Rays for Smyly.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what this means? I wouldn't mind them signing him on the cheap for back C and 1B spots.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this team has zero chance to win a world series until there's a new ownership group.

took 2 whole seasons to figure that out.

and it will take another 5 years for it to happen, at a minimum.

no cable or dish, so time to get mlb.tv and find a team that cares about its fans as much as it does about making $$$$$ for a handful of uber rich fucks.

sayonara.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those keeping track, here is what we lost:

On Jan. 11, general manager Jerry Dipoto acquired Simmons and outfielder Mallex Smith from the Braves for top pitching prospect Luis Gohara and minor league pitcher Thomas Burrows. Hours later, Dipoto traded Smith, minor league pitcher Ryan Yarbrough and infielder Carlos Vargas to the Rays for Smyly.

This is the kind shit that happens when you buy low on injury prone guys or someone coming off a down year. Simmons and Smyly both had injury histories so its not shocking how it played out. I have no idea if Gohara, Yarburough, Vargas or Mallex Smith will be anything but to lose all those guys for nothing sucks.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this team has zero chance to win a world series until there's a new ownership group.

took 2 whole seasons to figure that out.

and it will take another 5 years for it to happen, at a minimum.

no cable or dish, so time to get mlb.tv and find a team that cares about its fans as much as it does about making $$$$$ for a handful of uber rich fucks.

sayonara.

If you are truly gone I'll miss ya on here but I completely understand. This franchise has done enough to drive any kind of fan away.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are truly gone I'll miss ya on here but I completely understand. This franchise has done enough to drive any kind of fan away.
He'll be back, he did this on the old PI forum once years ago and gave us daily updates on the Angels games for a while. :lol:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My question of the day; When we don't get Ohtani (Labelled Plan A by JD), do we have a Plan B? If the past is any indication, I am guessing Plan B is 'Panic'.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll still be around the boards, and I'll keep up with the team through you guys and a couple of beat writers I follow.

I just have no reason to get my cable back, which is the only way to watch M's games. The M's moves this offseason ere the only thing that might make me think otherwise, but no dice.

I'm actually kind of looking forward to figuring out which team I'm going to get behind. I'll come back to the M's just as soon as they show they mean business, so probably never.