• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryan Hoch‏Verified account @BryanHoch 23m23 minutes ago
Cashman said that Ohtani’s reps told him they were very impressed with team’s presentation, but no matter how good it was, the Yankees couldn’t make themselves West Coast or a smaller market.

Jeff Passan‏Verified account @JeffPassan 33m33 minutes ago
Sources: Shohei Ohtani continues to narrow the field for his meetings next week. The New York Yankees are out. The San Francisco Giants are one of the finalists. The Seattle Mariners also are in.
So we will be finalists then get kicked in the nuts like usual. Great I can't wait.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not an impressive prospect especially for a guy like Stanton. Its all about the money, Seattle won't touch this. And sadly if the price tag (in terms of players) is a guy like Alcantara Seattle could probably pull it off.

But if you get Ohtani, you pay him $2.5M and Stanaton $30M making it two for $16.25 per. That isn't bad at all.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So would an old Cano or older Cruz really sway him? Maybe a dead-armed Felix? The Hair Twins Gamel & Motter? :)

I'm just happy they really do seem committed to do their best to land him. Generally with this franchise it's a bunch of half assed attempts.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just happy they really do seem committed to do their best to land him. Generally with this franchise it's a bunch of half assed attempts.

They are only after him harder than any other because he is about 1/10th the price of a real stud. There are better players available, but then M's would have to pay pay full price and they are more like Blue-Light special shoppers.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we should rename the Mariners board "Pessimists anonymous"

I think we have to drop the anonymous part because speaking as the President of the Pessimist Club, there is no anonymity here. :)

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are only after him harder than any other because he is about 1/10th the price of a real stud. There are better players available, but then M's would have to pay pay full price and they are more like Blue-Light special shoppers.

I don't disagree.

I honestly don't know what a realistic evaluation of our odds would be, but I would really like to see him take a visit to Seattle. We have a very large Asian-American community and everyone I've known who has been to Seattle loved it here.

I think his value would be maximized with an NL team though, tbh.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have to drop the anonymous part because speaking as the President of the Pessimist Club, there is no anonymity here. :)

Posting anything optimistic here is like posting "I love Hillary Clinton" on the Breitbart comments section.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankees, Red Sox out of running for Ohtani

Few ways to look at this:

1. The elimination of the Red Sox and Yankees is a good thing for us because that gives the impression that he wants to be on the west coast.

2. The fact that the four teams eliminated (Yankees, Red Sox, Athletics and Twins) are all AL teams is mildly concerning.

3. According to this article, he's leaning towards a west coast team in a smaller market. Seattle is a smaller market than LA or San Francisco.

4. The fact that he eliminated two very prestigious organizations is a good sign that he isn't just looking at finding a team that would give him the most exposure.

5. We're the Mariners, so don't get too excited.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed... Very excited... We do have a great shot... I wonder if this is why we committed to Iwu again... Iwu would be another player in the clubhouse that can speak Japanese...

upload_2017-12-3_16-48-46.png

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed... Very excited... We do have a great shot... I wonder if this is why we committed to Iwu again... Iwu would be another player in the clubhouse that can speak Japanese...

View attachment 170388

I don't want to get too excited.

The way I'm looking at it, there is reason for optimism. In one of my group chats that we talk primarily football, my friend from Austin was saying the chances for Ohtani look good for the Mariners.

I think there is a lot of speculation on behalf of the article I posted though. We don't really know if he has a West Coast preference. The fact that he eliminated two huge baseball dynasties is a good thing, though. That means he's not trying to play for the biggest market possible.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree.

I honestly don't know what a realistic evaluation of our odds would be, but I would really like to see him take a visit to Seattle. We have a very large Asian-American community and everyone I've known who has been to Seattle loved it here.

I think his value would be maximized with an NL team though, tbh.

Not sure how the visiting works but the I do think he would be impressed with the Japanese culture and fan base the surrounding Seattle area and Mariners have.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how the visiting works but the I do think he would be impressed with the Japanese culture and fan base the surrounding Seattle area and Mariners have.

All he has to do is go to UW's campus and he'd feel right at home.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angels Agree To Terms With Kevin Maitan

He was one of those guys that the Braves lost.

Baseball America had him ranked #77
MLB.com had him ranked #32
Baseball Prospectus had him ranked #100

Didn't have a great year, but still a good prospect. Would've been nice if the Mariners could've landed him with their 2018-2019 bonus pool.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angels Agree To Terms With Kevin Maitan

He was one of those guys that the Braves lost.

Baseball America had him ranked #77
MLB.com had him ranked #32
Baseball Prospectus had him ranked #100

Didn't have a great year, but still a good prospect. Would've been nice if the Mariners could've landed him with their 2018-2019 bonus pool.

e was the top international guy that caused all the cheating by Braves. It would have been nice to pick him up for so little. So Mariners not to.