• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 6 man rotation will eventually take hold here too, just like a specialty relief pitcher. I'm just not sure how MLB baseball can go strictly to it with analytics destroying baseball (IMO) League doesn't want to expand rosters and GM's and Managers don't want to give up a roster spot for a pitcher when they platoon half of their team.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say both even with him. I am not sure if all fans know, but from what I read Ohtani only pitched once a week usually on Sunday's. He isn't use to a 5 man rotation so M's might have to carry a 6th starter which is fine with me if we get strong starters.

Paxton
Leake
Lynn
Cobb
Felix/Ohtani rotation.

Ramirez bullpen/extra starter when Paxton goes down.

JD said he wanted to get to a staff by committee so here you go.

One of my bigger concerns about a guy like Ohtani is injuries. We haven't really seen a player who would do what he would be doing in baseball. Obviously baseball isn't as physically taxing as a sport like football, but I wonder how being a two way player - or near two way player - would effect his body. Especially with the longer schedule in MLB.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I ran across this today:

Japan Professional Baseball

Since 1950, Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB) has been the highest level of baseball in Japan. In terms of structure and schedule, NPB shares many similarities with Major League Baseball. Composed of 12 teams divided into two circuits, NPB seasons consist of 144 games that begin in late March or early April, and end in October with playoff baseball.

As with MLB, the midpoint of the Japanese baseball season is marked by All-Star festivities and ceremonies, including a multi game All-Star Series. Schedules also feature a period of interleague play between teams of the Pacific League, which employs a designated hitter and features faster-paced games, and the Central League, which offers a more traditional style of baseball and could be likened to the National League of MLB. At the end of the regular season, six teams participate in the Japanese playoff system known as the “Climax Series”.

During this tournament, the three top teams from both the Pacific League and Central League compete in three stages of playoffs. At the end of the Climax Series, the two winners from each league meet in the best-of-seven championship known as the Japan Series. This playoff system has been in use since the formation of NPB in 1950, though Japanese professional baseball dates all the way back to 1934.

Though gameplay in the NPB may differ from MLB in various ways, such as six-man pitching rotations, tie ballgames, and enforced time limits, the passion for baseball is as strong in Japan as anywhere in the world.

Based on everything I've seen and heard about baseball in Japan, it would be really cool to see a game over there.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my bigger concerns about a guy like Ohtani is injuries. We haven't really seen a player who would do what he would be doing in baseball. Obviously baseball isn't as physically taxing as a sport like football, but I wonder how being a two way player - or near two way player - would effect his body. Especially with the longer schedule in MLB.

Very valid concern. I think he had some nagging injuries this year and if you use him as a two-way player what happens to the roster when he is hurt? Of course JD loves using the revolving door anyways so maybe this fits his junkie needs.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know I am bias, baseball isn't as violent as football but it is just as taxing on the body as any other sport because how much wear and tear are on individual muscles that aren't used in other sports. But injuries are a concern from any Japanese player as they have more wear and tear than your average American or Latino because they play more on turf than grass (at least back in Ichiro's day)

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on everything I've seen and heard about baseball in Japan, it would be really cool to see a game over there.

My buddy played over there and said it was awesome even for college aged kids. Every game he said felt like a big game with the way the fans treat it with the festivities within it. It is definitely on my bucket list, along with golfing on a Japanese course.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My buddy played over there and said it was awesome even for college aged kids. Every game he said felt like a big game with the way the fans treat it with the festivities within it. It is definitely on my bucket list, along with golfing on a Japanese course.

Yeah that's what I've heard as well. Looks like a college football atmosphere almost.

What's special about golfing on a Japanese course?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that's what I've heard as well. Looks like a college football atmosphere almost.

What's special about golfing on a Japanese course?

No really sure, my friends brother in law was stationed in Japan and said the courses were awesome and starting talking golf jargan and I don't know squat about golf so just put it on my bucket list if I visited Japan.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No really sure, my friends brother in law was stationed in Japan and said the courses were awesome and starting talking golf jargan and I don't know squat about golf so just put it on my bucket list if I visited Japan.

Friend of mine sent me a video from a while back when I first went to the golf range at UW. Showed it around at Thanksgiving, it's pretty fucking hilarious. I grabbed the golf club like it was a baseball bat, and took a swing at the ball like it was a low baseball pitch. Too embarrassing to post here though, lol.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Friend of mine sent me a video from a while back when I first went to the golf range at UW. Showed it around at Thanksgiving, it's pretty fucking hilarious. I grabbed the golf club like it was a baseball bat, and took a swing at the ball like it was a low baseball pitch. Too embarrassing to post here though, lol.
As much as I love a good funny video... For your sake don't post it.
:suds:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lol, exactly why I don't like golf but my buddies brother in law made me watch try one. I can't remember how many holes it took for me to actually get legitimate score besides whatever it is called when you stroke out. Golf seems like a fine sport, I just play too much softball to be able to change my swing enough to not look like a fool. Much like how QB's being a pitcher never works out.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, exactly why I don't like golf but my buddies brother in law made me watch try one. I can't remember how many holes it took for me to actually get legitimate score besides whatever it is called when you stroke out. Golf seems like a fine sport, I just play too much softball to be able to change my swing enough to not look like a fool. Much like how QB's being a pitcher never works out.

A bunch of my colleagues are really into golf, so I've been trying to practice. I'm fucking terrible at it though. I've improved somewhat, but I still have a baseball swing.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
golf.jpg

Me about 18-20 years ago. I think I hit a double on this swing. :) I quit golfing when I moved to AZ in 2008 and just haven't had the urge to play since. Maybe when I am in my 60's.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am so lost on this whole new process, so they still have to pay a boat load to the Japanese team but he is only eligible for a minor league deal?

That article is cool except the only thing the Mariners can offer is facilities. Player development and minor league system blow balls and the training staff just made up a position so they can appease the humongous female fan base they have.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evan DrellichVerified account @EvanDrellich
Source: Rangers to sign Doug Fister to a major league deal, pending a physical. Righty leaves the Red Sox, who helped him get back on track

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am so lost on this whole new process, so they still have to pay a boat load to the Japanese team but he is only eligible for a minor league deal?

That article is cool except the only thing the Mariners can offer is facilities. Player development and minor league system blow balls and the training staff just made up a position so they can appease the humongous female fan base they have.

They can offer a no pressure winning environment, a grasshopper lunch, and a non-managing manger. :)