• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just saying signed. So hopefully if they sign someone they get a Choo type guy instead of guys with work ethic issues like Yuni and Lopez, heck even Felix has had his work ethic questioned alot.

The double-mint twins had work ethic issues???? I thought they just had baby fat issues. :)

Ya, was just trying to remember what international signing ever really helped us above replacement value and Felix was the only one I could come up with over the last 15-20 years. Kind of sad since 75% of the league is international. And yes I do realize the Japanese players are considered international signings.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The salary he can be offered is really irrelevant. There is only about a $3 million difference between what the teams with the most international slot money can pay versus the bottom. He could make up that difference with one endorsement deal. So, maybe he's going to go where the endorsement opportunities are the best. That's L.A. or NY.

I get that, but if money were the main reason he would just stay in Japan. I think proximity to home plays a factor in a lot of cases which favors us.

As far as endorsements go, we can challenge the other markets when it comes to Asian players.

2005:
Mariners RF Ichiro Suzuki’s marketability is examined by Eric Engleman of the PUGET SOUND BUSINESS JOURNAL, who notes Ichiro currently has more than $10M in endorsement deals, including pacts with Mizuno, Asics, Oakley, Japanese brokerage Nikko Cordial, Sato Pharmaceuticals, NTT Communications and Shin Nippon Oil Co. But Ichiro’s agent, Tony Attanasio, said, “We have rejected well in excess of $40[M] of commercial endorsements, and he continually rejects things for his own reasons. He is very selective when it comes to putting his name out in the public.” Engleman notes MLB currently contracts with 21 sponsors in Japan, including “about six that use Ichiro’s image” (PUGET SOUND BUSINESS JOURNAL, 2/25 issue).

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A trade idea from the Cardinals fan site.

Paxton
Seager
Diaz

for

Stephen Piscotty
Harrison Bader
Jedd Gyorko
Dakota Hudson
Luke Weaver

Thoughts? Saving about $100M would allow us to add some nice pieces to the pen and rotation while adding 'controllable' youth. I would do it w/o hesitation even though it is a risk like always going with unproven MLB players.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he is able to replicate his previous level of play, he will be an adequate 1B and an upgrade from what we had last year. I was actually somewhat surprised to see the 1B production was this bad, in hindsight it makes the Alonso move make a lot of sense:

Mariners 1Bs: 604 ABs, 24 doubles, 3 triples, 19 HR, 77 RBI, .245/.308/.389
Ryon Healy last year: 576 ABs, 29 doubles, 0 triples, 25 HR, 78 RBI, .271/.302/.451

He's an upgrade over the Valencia/Alonso split, around $10m cheaper and 5 years younger than Alonso, 8 years younger than Valencia. Healy still has room to improve.

Totally true, but Valencia wasn't a Jerry type guy, Alonso pre All Star break was. Defensively is kind of my main thing, he isn't a very good one and Seager has regressed and Segura isn't a major league caliber defensive SS. I'm not against the move whatsoever though, just going off that article you put up. The 1B production has really been an issue since Sexson hit his wall.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mariners get righty Rumbelow from Yanks

By Greg Johns / MLB.com | @gregjohnsmlb | 5:38 PM ET
SEATTLE -- General manager Jerry Dipoto added another right-handed reliever to the Mariners' mix on Saturday, acquiring 26-year-old Nick Rumbelow from the Yankees in exchange for Minor League pitchers JP Sears and Juan Then in his third trade in four days.

Dipoto has now made 60 trades in the 26 months since he was hired as the Mariners' GM at the end of the 2015 season, the most in the Majors in that span.

Rumbelow pitched 17 games for the Yankees in 2015 before undergoing Tommy John surgery on his right elbow in '16. He spent all last season in the Minors, going 4-1 with a 1.12 ERA and six saves in 25 games while splitting time between Double-A Trenton and Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

Rumbelow had 45 strikeouts and 11 walks in 40 1/3 innings, with opposing batters hitting just .150 with no home runs in 140 at-bats.

"Nick is another young, power-arm reliever who provides us with present flexibility and future impact," Dipoto said.

Dipoto traded away a pair of right-handed relievers earlier in the week, dealing Emilio Paganand Minor League shortstop Alexander Campos to the A's for first baseman Ryon Healyand then sending hard-throwing prospect Thyago Vieira to the White Sox for international slot money.

Rumbelow goes onto Seattle's 40-man roster, which now is at 36 players. The Yankees promoted the Texas native to their 40-man roster earlier this month rather than let him become a Minor League free agent.

Rumbelow, a seventh-round Draft pick of the Yankees in 2013 out of Louisiana State, was 1-1 with a 4.02 ERA in 15 2/3 innings in 17 games after making his Major League debut with the Yankees in 2015. He pitched just once for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in '16 before being undergoing surgery on his elbow.

The Mariners gave up two promising young arms to get Rumbelow. Sears, 21, was an 11th-round Draft pick last year out of Citadel who ranked as Seattle's No. 21 prospect, per MLBPipeline.com, after posting a 0.65 ERA with 51 strikeouts in just 27 2/3 innings for Class A Short Season Everett and Class A Clinton.

After his promotion to Clinton on July 21, Sears gave up just two unearned runs in 17 innings of relief over his final 10 outings.

Then is a 17-year-old who signed out of the Dominican Republic in 2016. He made his pro debut last season, going 2-2 with a 2.64 ERA in 13 starts for the Mariners' Dominican Summer League squad.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Paxton
Seager
Diaz

for

Stephen Piscotty
Harrison Bader
Jedd Gyorko
Dakota Hudson
Luke Weaver

Thoughts? Saving about $100M would allow us to add some nice pieces to the pen and rotation while adding 'controllable' youth. I would do it w/o hesitation even though it is a risk like always going with unproven MLB players.
I would do this trade idea. I like Piscotty despite his rough '17 season. Gyorko i've never really liked but he is coming off a good season. Bader, Hudson and Weaver are all players that could be legit for the future. I would do it for sure.

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Paxton
Seager
Diaz

for

Stephen Piscotty
Harrison Bader
Jedd Gyorko
Dakota Hudson
Luke Weaver

Even better:

Paxton
Seager
Diaz
Marco Gonzales

for

Stephen Piscotty
Harrison Bader
Jedd Gyorko
Dakota Hudson
Luke Weaver
Tyler O'Neill

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rumbelow for whatever

pile-of-poo.png

FOR

dog-poo-soap-bar-640x533.jpg

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What purpose would it serve the club resigning Iwakuma? His rehab didn't go well at all last year, so resign him and pray this one goes better?

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t want any shred of an idea that he can contribute at all which would cause us to not address the pitching as much. We played the “hope he stays healthy” game enough last year. Kuma did good things here but let’s act like a real franchise and move on when a guy is done

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe this offer and signing Darvish is Jerry's best shot at landing Ohtani???

Who knows :noidea:, gotta assume any deal for Iwakuma is incentive laden, no?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe this offer and signing Darvish is Jerry's best shot at landing Ohtani???

Who knows :noidea:, gotta assume any deal for Iwakuma is incentive laden, no?

Might as well bring Ichiro while they're at it.

We can change our name to the Seattle Samurais.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might as well bring Ichiro while they're at it.

We can change our name to the Seattle Samurais.
Hey the Broncos change their uniforms from that orange and won Super Bowls at this point it can't hurt right?????