• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off topic but seems like Stanton is good as gone in Miami, he wants to play in California from reports, anyone semi scared he ends up in Anaheim, excuse me LA.
I think Anaheim is going to spend their money on either Hosmer or one of the top three pitchers. Boston is also supposedly linked to Hosmer but Boston has never signed a Scott Boras client to my knowledge.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

this makes no sense if Dipoto doesn't land Ohtani

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree that Ohtani is the big fish in international market, but he is not the only foreign player the international slot money could be used on. Could be another Japanese player, Korean, Australian or a Cuban guy. Doesn't hurt to stock pile that money.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fear I have is with the extra money is they have it but will give out too many years. I'd pass on Darvish if he wants a 5 year deal, same with essentially every high prices SP. Just briefly looking over the list there are injury, age or production flags.

I couldn't make many Mariners games this year. Had to overspend for Edgar weekend and Rainiers games are more family friendly. One negative thing about married life is the wife and kids want to go and Seattle blows balls for bringing a family to.

I think I went to around 15 or so, give or take a few games. Usually it was a very expensive endeavor for me since I'd usually go to Pyramid or a local brewery for dinner, uber everywhere, then spend like $40 on drinks at the stadium in addition to sitting in the terrace club. I usually justified the price because I'd get terrace level seats for like $10 a pop from a guy who was in my frat who gets them for free. I think they normally run $60-$70.

I actually haven't been to a Rainiers game before. Looks like a lot of fun. I don't make it that far south very often.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last three first basemen have all been Oakland's sloppy seconds. Danny Valencia - free agent from Oakland. Yonder Alonso - trade from Oakland. Ryon Healy - trade from Oakland. Not really the kind of moves a contenduh makes.

Ryon Healy is cheap, young, and better than a Alonso/Valencia platoon and we gave up essentially nothing for him. On paper it looks like we swindled the A's. We'll see when baseball season starts.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, essentially all in on Ohtani. If he strikes out on signing him Jerry has would have gotten rid of what half of his top 10 prospects from last year?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want Darvish either. Nor Arrieta. His ERA has gone up and IPs have gone down for the last two years. Trending in the wrong direction. I wouldn't mind if they made a run at Lance Lynn. He's younger and will be much cheaper than those two.

I don't mind Lynn, just like I said is my fear that Stanton will want to make a token gesture and not sit on that money, which means most likely Darvish.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So... In an organization that lacks prospects, we just traded away our #8 prospect who is major league ready with an 80 grade fastball?

Right when I think JD does something right, he does something stupid like this.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Anaheim is going to spend their money on either Hosmer or one of the top three pitchers. Boston is also supposedly linked to Hosmer but Boston has never signed a Scott Boras client to my knowledge.

Ya, no clue on any of that I was just watching MLB network and they said Stanton is trying to pull a Griffey and wants to be dealt to the Giants, Dodgers or Angels.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, essentially all in on Ohtani. If he strikes out on signing him Jerry has would have gotten rid of what half of his top 10 prospects from last year?

But does an extra $250k actually mean anything?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But does an extra $250k actually mean anything?

Doesn't that put them near the top of how much they can Give? I'm not 100% on this rule, but it seems he has made at least two deals now that involved international money that that is who he is going after.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't that put them near the top of how much they can Give? I'm not 100% on this rule, but it seems he has made at least two deals now that involved international money that that is who he is going after.

The amount of money Seattle is receiving isn’t yet known, though international money must be traded in increments of $250K under the new collective bargaining agreement, so they’ll add at least that much to their pool. Ronald Blum of the Associated Press reported last week that Seattle’s bonus pool stood at $1.57MM, so they’ll add at least $250K to that sum. The Rangers ($3.535MM), Yankees ($3.25MM) and Twins ($3.245MM) still have the most to offer Ohtani, if he is indeed posted.

I agree it has to be an indication that he's going after Ohtani, but it's really just a drop in the bucket.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, no clue on any of that I was just watching MLB network and they said Stanton is trying to pull a Griffey and wants to be dealt to the Giants, Dodgers or Angels.

Imagine if he went to New York. Don't they have like an extra $50m or something to spend?

As much as I want to hate the Yankees, having Judge and Stanton in the same lineup would really be something special.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to the Ryon Heely trade: One of the other things I really like about it is he offers defensive versatility. He has actually played more MLB games at 3B than 1B. Assuming his first 221 MLB games were not some sort of aberration, at 25 he could be a nice, cheap, long-term piece.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryon Healy is cheap, young, and better than a Alonso/Valencia platoon and we gave up essentially nothing for him. On paper it looks like we swindled the A's. We'll see when baseball season starts.
Right, Im just confused because this doesn't seem to fit the Dipoto profile of guys we are supposedly bringing in.
I thought it was more about a higher OBP. This team wasn't in the top half for OBP last year and this guy they brought in seems like just a younger/cheaper Mark Trumbo who Jerry didn't like. I guess I am just trying make sense of the direction this team wants to go

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, Im just confused because this doesn't seem to fit the Dipoto profile of guys we are supposedly bringing in.
I thought it was more about a higher OBP. This team wasn't in the top half for OBP last year and this guy they brought in seems like just a younger/cheaper Mark Trumbo who Jerry didn't like. I guess I am just trying make sense of the direction this team wants to go

He may not work the count very well, but he's cheap and is overall still a pretty good hitter. He only has around 800-900 MLB ABs, there's a possibility that his patience can be improved.

I also think he's different from Trumbo. Healy's career BA is about 30 points higher than Trumbo.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners send Thyago Vieira to White Sox for International Slot Money

Interesting point here by Lookout Landing on the Thyago Vieira trade:

Note that even if the M’s swing and miss on Ohtani, there’s an intriguing pool of international free agents to dive in to. Just yesterday, it was reported that the Twins voided the contract of 16-year-old Jelfry Marte, who was rated by MLB.com as the third best international free agent of 2017. Additionally, Cuban OF Julio Pablo Martinez, who should be eligible for the 2017-18 signing period, recently established residency in Haiti in preparation for a December showcase. And don’t forget that the Braves appear to be on the verge of losing several top international talents as a penalty for violating rules in the international market, possibly including SS Kevin Maitan, listed by MLB.com as the #38 prospect in baseball, per The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did see this yesterday, bit didn't put it together with today's news until your post. I could live with that as well.

Also, I read it was $500K in slot money from Sox. Did I miss something?

No, you're correct. I think the $250k I saw was incorrect. I saw $500k somewhere else. Either way I can live with this.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its Dipoto trade hurricane season.

The Healy trade opens up some money to go towards pitching. Offensively I think you are basically getting a wash between 2017 Mariners first baseman and 2018 Mariners first basemen. Healy is still young and I think his prime is still ahead of him and I don't think he is arb eligible until 2020. Overall I like the trade but it doesn't mean much if Dipoto doesn't do anything with the money saved. Wouldn't it be funny if Dipoto still signed Duda

I think the Vieira trade is a complete waste of a highly rated prospect unless it leads to Ohtani in a Mariners uniform.