• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A side note, if you want to actually play for the Seattle Mariners major league club while Jerry is GM do you decline the invitation to the futures game? It's a kiss of death now playing in that game.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall I like the trade but it doesn't mean much if Dipoto doesn't do anything with the money saved. Wouldn't it be funny if Dipoto still signed Duda

You shall burn for that thought!!!!! :)

I think the Vieira trade is a complete waste of a highly rated prospect unless it leads to Ohtani in a Mariners uniform.

I agree but am intrigued by the Braves prospect that may be released for tampering. But I still think it is a big gamble for a team that doesn't have a lot of room for error.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its Dipoto trade hurricane season.

The Healy trade opens up some money to go towards pitching. Offensively I think you are basically getting a wash between 2017 Mariners first baseman and 2018 Mariners first basemen. Healy is still young and I think his prime is still ahead of him and I don't think he is arb eligible until 2020. Overall I like the trade but it doesn't mean much if Dipoto doesn't do anything with the money saved. Wouldn't it be funny if Dipoto still signed Duda

I think the Vieira trade is a complete waste of a highly rated prospect unless it leads to Ohtani in a Mariners uniform.

I agree regarding the first base situation. But as you mentioned, Healy is young, cheap and doesn't require a platoon. If we would have re-signed Valencia and Alonso, it probably would've cost a total of $11m or so (assuming $7m for Alonso, $4m for Valencia). Although we all want the Mariners to open the coffers, they realistically only have $30m or so to spend. Now we won't have to dedicate a third of that money to first base.

Regarding Vieira, I initially felt the same, but I feel differently now. Even if the Mariners don't land Ohtani, there will be an impressive pool of international talent available. If we whiff on Ohtani, we can probably land an international prospect of higher value than Vieira. Also, Vieira throws fire, but doesn't really have much to offer other than that. I somewhat worry about a guy who hits triple digits who only put up a 4.00 ERA between AAA and AA.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You shall burn for that thought!!!!! :)

I agree but am intrigued by the Braves prospect that may be released for tampering. But I still think it is a big gamble for a team that doesn't have a lot of room for error.

I think the worst case scenario is that we land an international prospect who will probably be more highly regarded than Vieira. This does appear as a signal that JD wants Ohtani, or that Braves prospect. I'd be happy with either in exchange for Vieira.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the worst case scenario is that we land an international prospect who will probably be more highly regarded than Vieira. This does appear as a signal that JD wants Ohtani, or that Braves prospect. I'd be happy with either in exchange for Vieira.

I agree with the theory, but history shows us that the M's haven't hit on the international level since....Felix?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the theory, but history shows us that the M's haven't hit on the international level since....Felix?

That's okay. We can sign an international prospect who is highly rated and trade him away for a AAAA pitcher.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's okay. We can sign an international prospect who is highly rated and trade him away for a AAAA pitcher.

I guess they just stick to doing what they do best. And they say we have a bad farm team...we are the farm team...for the rest of MLB.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree regarding the first base situation. But as you mentioned, Healy is young, cheap and doesn't require a platoon. If we would have re-signed Valencia and Alonso, it probably would've cost a total of $11m or so (assuming $7m for Alonso, $4m for Valencia). Although we all want the Mariners to open the coffers, they realistically only have $30m or so to spend. Now we won't have to dedicate a third of that money to first base.

Regarding Vieira, I initially felt the same, but I feel differently now. Even if the Mariners don't land Ohtani, there will be an impressive pool of international talent available. If we whiff on Ohtani, we can probably land an international prospect of higher value than Vieira. Also, Vieira throws fire, but doesn't really have much to offer other than that. I somewhat worry about a guy who hits triple digits who only put up a 4.00 ERA between AAA and AA.
I get what you are saying with Vieira I just think this is another great example of Dipoto chasing his tail and weakening an already weak farm system. There is no guarantee Seattle lands Ohtani, Maitan or any more of the 16 year old question marks or that any of these guys make it to the majors.

Truth is I don't think Seattle is realistically trying for Ohtani and the international guys are so far off from being relevant at the major league level it doesn't matter. At least Vieira gave us a legit relief depth option with pretty high upside and a 102 mph fastball.

This trade is not a loss yet and its definitely not a win yet either.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you are saying with Vieira I just think this is another great example of Dipoto chasing his tail and weakening an already weak farm system. There is no guarantee Seattle lands Ohtani, Maitan or any more of the 16 year old question marks or that any of these guys make it to the majors.

Truth is I don't think Seattle is realistically trying for Ohtani and the international guys are so far off from being relevant at the major league level it doesn't matter. At least Vieira gave us a legit relief depth option with pretty high upside and a 102 mph fastball.

I can't disagree with you on any of those points. I attempt to remain a moderate level of optimism so I don't go insane.

I'm sure we are both hoping I will end up right. But... We are Mariners fans. That means I'm probably wrong.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't disagree with you on any of those points. I attempt to remain a moderate level of optimism so I don't go insane.

I'm sure we are both hoping I will end up right. But... We are Mariners fans. That means I'm probably wrong.
Its difficult finding the good sometimes, most of the time, with this team. And Dipoto can be very frustrating, the guy just seems bat shit crazy sometimes.

Definitely hope your right, and really the stuff that will matter for this season wont be this trade it will be what happens with the holes on the major league roster.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe its just me but I don't really mind trading Vieria. From what I saw last year, there's nothing to suggest he's more then the Caminero guy we saw a couple years ago. A live fastball but not much control.

I'm still confused by Dipoto's interest in Healy but ill let that go for now

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe its just me but I don't really mind trading Vieria. From what I saw last year, there's nothing to suggest he's more then the Caminero guy we saw a couple years ago. A live fastball but not much control.

I'm still confused by Dipoto's interest in Healy but ill let that go for now
For me its not really about trading Vieira, im fine with trading him but its gotta be for the right reasons. Dipoto goes in circles with a lot of these trades and doesn't accomplish anything. I think seahawks234 mentioned it earlier, the Vieira trade will likely result in signing a higher rated international prospect, I think that is true but most of these international guys are at least 4 years away which seems to go against the win now garbage this org keeps force feeding us. I realize I am being nit picky with some of this stuff and I really don't think this trade is a big deal at all.

Healy isn't ideal but I think the trade makes sense. Cheap, young, probably hasn't reached his ceiling yet, we should have him in his prime years. Probably gives us similar production at the plate as we got last season, the K's will be frustrating. I hope something good happens with the money saved.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wasn't Choo one? And wasn't there another one they dealt that went on to be pretty good? Can't remember his name, thought he was a SS or something

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This hit on my question I had, is how close are any of the remaining prospects? Could've kept a controllable bullpen arm that is pegged to turn the 8-9th innings into the Yankees back end.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Choo one? And wasn't there another one they dealt that went on to be pretty good? Can't remember his name, thought he was a SS or something

Choo never did anything for us. I was trying to think of an international player that actually produced for us that we signed. Bettancourt and Lopez were two, but not long lasting.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo never did anything for us. I was trying to think of an international player that actually produced for us that we signed. Bettancourt and Lopez were two, but not long lasting.

I was just saying signed. So hopefully if they sign someone they get a Choo type guy instead of guys with work ethic issues like Yuni and Lopez, heck even Felix has had his work ethic questioned alot.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did see this yesterday, bit didn't put it together with today's news until your post. I could live with that as well.

Also, I read it was $500K in slot money from Sox. Did I miss something?
The salary he can be offered is really irrelevant. There is only about a $3 million difference between what the teams with the most international slot money can pay versus the bottom. He could make up that difference with one endorsement deal. So, maybe he's going to go where the endorsement opportunities are the best. That's L.A. or NY.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All those stats, at least the way I read them, is Healy is almost exactly the opposite player Dipoto covets outside of his contract. I mean worst case scenario is he stinks but it allows other moves to be made, and he is a righty so Scott doesn't need to platoon him.

If he is able to replicate his previous level of play, he will be an adequate 1B and an upgrade from what we had last year. I was actually somewhat surprised to see the 1B production was this bad, in hindsight it makes the Alonso move make a lot of sense:

Mariners 1Bs: 604 ABs, 24 doubles, 3 triples, 19 HR, 77 RBI, .245/.308/.389
Ryon Healy last year: 576 ABs, 29 doubles, 0 triples, 25 HR, 78 RBI, .271/.302/.451

He's an upgrade over the Valencia/Alonso split, around $10m cheaper and 5 years younger than Alonso, 8 years younger than Valencia. Healy still has room to improve.