• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Mariners arm-chair GM offseason thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like the trade. RP's should be easily replaceable. There are several on the market right now that are proven and will cost about $7-8 per year for 3 years. Not crazy money compared to adding a free agent hitter though I was intrigued by Santana.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd like it if it were part of a comprehensive rebuilding plan

created by somebody besides dipoto

with a coaching staff other than ours

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we just solved the 1B issue and now have more money to spend on other positions.

My bigger concern is that I hold Billy Beane in very high regard, there has to be something we don't know. Based on statistics alone, this is a killer trade for the Mariners. Something doesn't make sense. Pagan is not worth a 25 year old 1B who just hit: 29 2B, 25 HRs, with a .271/.302/.451 line.

Guess we will find out the hard way.

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we just solved the 1B issue and now have more money to spend on other positions.

My bigger concern is that I hold Billy Beane in very high regard, there has to be something we don't know. Based on statistics alone, this is a killer trade for the Mariners. Something doesn't make sense. Pagan is not worth a 25 year old 1B who just hit: 29 2B, 25 HRs, with a .271/.302/.451 line.

When he bats .212 and turns into a pop-up machine. He's a Mariner now, nowhere to go but down.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will see. I don't mind giving up Pagan but I'm not necessarily sold on Healy. He was under 90 WRC+ against righties and he's a terrible defender which I guess you can live with at first. He should be slightly better then what Valencia brought. This is in reality is a Dipoto move, minor shift of a value piece to plug a hole inexpensively. Question now becomes do they spend on pitching because they were able to save at first

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Had this deal happened in Jerry's first year I'd say a steal but Jerry has turn me into Mr. Skeptical with all of his moves since I don't think he has (thus far) won any trades besides the Gamel one. And while Segura is at SS they need a solid defensive 1B, and even Seager to the naked eye has taken steps back defensively the past two seasons.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, not my first choice in spending someone else's money, but I like what he has done in his sub 1000 MLB AB's and the savings could go toward a guy like Cain and/or pitching. Vogelbach I would assume is gone since JD said he didn't want a platoon at 1B.

Small sample sized comparison (based on a 162 game average):

Abreu 4 year MLB average:
.301, 33 HR's, 108 RBI's at $10-13M next year

Healy 888 PA's:
.282, 28 HR's, 84 RBI's at $537-$650K per year for next couple years.

What happens with him next year happens, but I like the trade today.

Funny thing, we traded for Valencia from A's for 1B then replaced him with trade with A's for Alonso and now replace him with trade with A's for Healy. I didn't realize the A's were such a 1B factory.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off topic but seems like Stanton is good as gone in Miami, he wants to play in California from reports, anyone semi scared he ends up in Anaheim, excuse me LA.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off topic but seems like Stanton is good as gone in Miami, he wants to play in California from reports, anyone semi scared he ends up in Anaheim, excuse me LA.

I hope he does. The guy is good, but not a one-man team but is paid more than some teams total rosters. Plus, what are the odds of him staying healthy? I mean if you walked him every time could he hurt you in any other way offensively or defensively more than an average OF?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from a Mariners site:

How would this look for the teams involved? Here is our indecent proposal:

The Giants trade Jeff Samardzija, Heliot Ramos, Bryan Reynolds for Giancarlo Stanton and Marc Rzepczynski.
The Marlins trade Giancarlo Stanton for Heliot Ramos, Bryan Reynolds, Nick Neidert and Thyago Vieira
The Mariners trade Nick Neidert, Marc Rzepczynski, and Thyago Vieira for Jeff Samardzija

--------------------

HUH?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he does. The guy is good, but not a one-man team but is paid more than some teams total rosters. Plus, what are the odds of him staying healthy? I mean if you walked him every time could he hurt you in any other way offensively or defensively more than an average OF?

To me, the chances are less likely he would get hurt when the Angels can maneuver their roster where he can split time at DH. And walking him is an option but he and Trout would make a Ruth/Gehrig type combo.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, the chances are less likely he would get hurt when the Angels can maneuver their roster where he can split time at DH. And walking him is an option but he and Trout would make a Ruth/Gehrig type combo.

Yeah maybe, but I see him as a franchise killer if something goes wrong with his money. I honestly think he helps a team less over his contract than Cano helps us with his.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah maybe, but I see him as a franchise killer if something goes wrong with his money. I honestly think he helps a team less over his contract than Cano helps us with his.

I could see that if it weren't either LA team that has had zero problem with wasting money.

Guess I just want him to stay in the NL since the Mariners are going to be shooting for a WC as long as the Astros stay together, the Yankees/Red Sox have a WC spot wrapped every year so I'd prefer for there not to have another AL team who is always better than them.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had this deal happened in Jerry's first year I'd say a steal but Jerry has turn me into Mr. Skeptical with all of his moves since I don't think he has (thus far) won any trades besides the Gamel one. And while Segura is at SS they need a solid defensive 1B, and even Seager to the naked eye has taken steps back defensively the past two seasons.

For the sake of debate, I wish I disagreed, but I don't. On paper this looks like a great deal. But I'm skeptical because it sounds too good. A number #15 prospect in an organization that is paper thin? And an expendable arm? For a guy who has the stats he does?

I'm concerned about his lack of plate discipline, but this fills out the 1B hole at a very inexpensive price. Alonso and Valencia would've run us probably $11m-ish? $7m for Alonso, $4m for Valencia?

By trading for him, we've cleared up more space to make a run at Darvish, and/or Ohtani (swear to God the spelling changes every time I look him up to ensure I'm not spelling it wrong).

I hope this means that the $30m-ish we have to spend will go all in to acquire Darvish and Ohtani.

After going to as Mariners games as I've been to in 2017, I have to have hope. I should change my username to "the delusional optimist"

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from a Mariners site:

How would this look for the teams involved? Here is our indecent proposal:

The Giants trade Jeff Samardzija, Heliot Ramos, Bryan Reynolds for Giancarlo Stanton and Marc Rzepczynski.
The Marlins trade Giancarlo Stanton for Heliot Ramos, Bryan Reynolds, Nick Neidert and Thyago Vieira
The Mariners trade Nick Neidert, Marc Rzepczynski, and Thyago Vieira for Jeff Samardzija

--------------------

HUH?

He probably just had his first beer.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the sake of debate, I wish I disagreed, but I don't. On paper this looks like a great deal. But I'm skeptical because it sounds too good. A number #15 prospect in an organization that is paper thin? And an expendable arm? For a guy who has the stats he does?

I'm concerned about his lack of plate discipline, but this fills out the 1B hole at a very inexpensive price. Alonso and Valencia would've run us probably $11m-ish? $7m for Alonso, $4m for Valencia?

By trading for him, we've cleared up more space to make a run at Darvish, and/or Ohtani (swear to God the spelling changes every time I look him up to ensure I'm not spelling it wrong).

I hope this means that the $30m-ish we have to spend will go all in to acquire Darvish and Ohtani.

After going to as Mariners games as I've been to in 2017, I have to have hope. I should change my username to "the delusional optimist"

Fear I have is with the extra money is they have it but will give out too many years. I'd pass on Darvish if he wants a 5 year deal, same with essentially every high prices SP. Just briefly looking over the list there are injury, age or production flags.

I couldn't make many Mariners games this year. Had to overspend for Edgar weekend and Rainiers games are more family friendly. One negative thing about married life is the wife and kids want to go and Seattle blows balls for bringing a family to.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last three first basemen have all been Oakland's sloppy seconds. Danny Valencia - free agent from Oakland. Yonder Alonso - trade from Oakland. Ryon Healy - trade from Oakland. Not really the kind of moves a contenduh makes.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fear I have is with the extra money is they have it but will give out too many years. I'd pass on Darvish if he wants a 5 year deal, same with essentially every high prices SP. Just briefly looking over the list there are injury, age or production flags.

I couldn't make many Mariners games this year. Had to overspend for Edgar weekend and Rainiers games are more family friendly. One negative thing about married life is the wife and kids want to go and Seattle blows balls for bringing a family to.
I don't want Darvish either. Nor Arrieta. His ERA has gone up and IPs have gone down for the last two years. Trending in the wrong direction. I wouldn't mind if they made a run at Lance Lynn. He's younger and will be much cheaper than those two.