• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offensive PI calls, Gronk, and collective head shaking.

What are your thoughts?

• The league seems to be singling out the patriots for pushoffs, legit or not. The metrics support it.

• The league is not singling out anybody. You suck, Rock.

• Vote here and receive one helping of free potato salad.

Results are only viewable after voting.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The league won't stop til it's destroyed Tawm Brady and the Patriots!!!"

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuckin' potato salad.:L

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the broncos werent called for a single offensive penalty all game. the pats were called for 5 in the 4th quarter alone.

that being said, the patriots have been called for (or rather, had an offensive PI call accepted on them) 9 times.
the second closest team has 4.

gronk? well, hes been called for offensive PI 6 times. 6. thats more than 30 other TEAMS in the league...

mull that over. the second closest guy to gronk has 2.

now, football fans know the league has put a call out to refs to watch pushing off. this year, they seem to be focusing on the pats and particularly, gronk. justified or not?

Here are some links to enjoy:

Are refs holding Rob Gronkowski to higher standard with interference calls?

Rob Gronkowski Injury Never Should Have Happened And Other Leftover Patriots Thoughts

now, I'm not saying its a "conspiracy" vs the pats and gronk...but its fairly obvious to most toddlers that something is amiss here.

What are your thoughts?
I did enjoy that second link, Rock, especially the part where the guy making excuses calls out Rex Ryan for making excuses. That part was my favorite.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every team sends a list of things to the officials to watch for that they believe certain players get away with. They've been doing it to Seattle's secondary for years now. That doesn't make it a conspiracy, it's just gamesmanship. Gronk does have a rep for pushing off and now teams are reminding the refs pre-game about it so it's in the back of their zebra heads. Same goes for pick plays. NE has a bad rep for doing borderline illegal pick plays and now they are starting to get called on it a bit more often.

No conspiracy. Just stop cheating!

THIS.. He is being singled out. Whether he's pushing off more than other receivers is not the issue is it? In fact it's just as likely he not the only one that does it but if someone like Jim "crappy pants" Haurbach complains it's ok.

It's not that these players may be cheating just that coaches think they are. Paragons of virtue that they are.

I think some of the calls were legitimate but some have been suspect.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you get Gronk lined up on smaller DB's, his push-offs (and all WR's and TE's do it) are probably more noticeable because of his size and strength in comparison to other WR's/TE's when split out against those same DB's.

Kind of like Shaq with the Lakers during his 3 year run winning titles there. He was so big and so strong, that just turning around and bumping into someone would send them flying. Did he really foul them? Maybe, maybe not, but because of the size/strength discrepancy, he got called for more than his share of fouls. Conversely, the same was true when he had the ball...teams could push him more and foul him more without getting called for it because of the same thing.

I think you see that, also, with Gronk. DB's are pushing on him with no call, and when he pushes, he's getting nailed.

Fair? Probably not, but you have to adapt and overcome.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Patriots don't want Gronk to be called for OPI, maybe he should stop committing OPI. I mean, when you extend your arm out like this, it's going to be called more often than not.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS.. He is being singled out. Whether he's pushing off more than other receivers is not the issue is it? In fact it's just as likely he not the only one that does it but if someone like Jim "crappy pants" Haurbach complains it's ok.

It's not that these players may be cheating just that coaches think they are. Paragons of virtue that they are.

Meh, close calls go both ways for every team. I'm more than positive the Pats have been on the good side of a few over the years and got a few wins out of them.

Reactions: GNG

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why would they single him out? Give us one legitimate reason why.

Delphic1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he doesn't want to be called then he should push off less.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Patriots don't want Gronk to be called for OPI, maybe he should stop committing OPI. I mean, when you extend your arm out like this, it's going to be called more often than not.

And I see a clear offensive hold back there too!!!

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks I was looking for gif that would show that play. That's how I remembered it too. He definitely extends his arm there all the way out. You can even see the defender go backwards a little bit because of it.

Delphic1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Brady should cry to the refs about that, too.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he doesn't want to be called then he should push off less.

You have it all wrong.

He's not going to stop pushing off.

He just doesn't want to be "singled out" for it.:L

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you should post the FULL gif, the one where they were hand fighting the whole route.

that wasnt called on denver. weird.