• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offense

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chip Kelly and the Vanishing Offense

Good read about the offense. The only thing I would question the author is why he would make judgements about the offense based on preseason play. Don't see why Kelly would show his cards in preseason, especially this season.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about how predicatable the offense was in Philly at the end is....well lets just say I don't care too much about that. Peyton Manning's Colt offense was fairly simple....no motion, just straightforward with a few things here and there. It folds up well when they don't have a first ballot HOF quarterback running the show.

In the end, it's great to out-scheme teams, but I think it's more important to out talent them. We'll only get so much out of Kelly/49ers offense simply due to the personel.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about how predicatable the offense was in Philly at the end is....well lets just say I don't care too much about that. Peyton Manning's Colt offense was fairly simple....no motion, just straightforward with a few things here and there. It folds up well when they don't have a first ballot HOF quarterback running the show.

In the end, it's great to out-scheme teams, but I think it's more important to out talent them. We'll only get so much out of Kelly/49ers offense simply due to the personel.

Yea, it will be interesting to see how we look. I think the offense will hinge on how our O line gels together. If we can thump with our running game, it will open up the field for our young receivers. The one option we won't have is: "Miller, run a post into the stands and punch a 70 year old".

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, it will be interesting to see how we look. I think the offense will hinge on how our O line gels together. If we can thump with our running game, it will open up the field for our young receivers. The one option we won't have is: "Miller, run a post into the stands and punch a 70 year old".

The line looks to be substantially better than last year, and they'll need that and a healthy Hyde to give the below average QB/WR corp. any legit chances to succeed. I wonder how much of the up-tempo stuff we'll see.

Cut My Red I Bleed Gold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The line looks to be substantially better than last year, and they'll need that and a healthy Hyde to give the below average QB/WR corp. any legit chances to succeed. I wonder how much of the up-tempo stuff we'll see.

I liken Chips situation to Coughlins in NY. He's probably learned a lot about himself as a coach from his failures in Philly, and hopefully that translates to better player interaction, tempo, and play calling. What I do like about him is that he plays to the strengths of his team while throwing in some wrinkles to push his team in terms of lacking the talent level of an opponent. This is just my own opinion. If that line can come together like I think it can, we will automatically be light years better than we were last year. That coupled with an underrated defense, we might be pleasantly surprised...at least when using last years performance as a measuring stick.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I do like about him is that he plays to the strengths of his team while throwing in some wrinkles to push his team in terms of lacking the talent level of an opponent.

Wasn't that a big complaint of him last year? Running DeMarco Murray more east/west when he's more of a downhill runner?

at least when using last years performance as a measuring stick.

Last year is no measuring stick...more like an ugly stick.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think what little thing he said is key. Kelly is bright guy. He can be okay if he analyzes what went wrong in Philly and adapts. The key is to not be stubborn. Yea, of course there is the talent factor. Lots of teams back in the 80s tried to duplicate the 49ers west coast office. But not everyone had Walsh, Montana, and Rice.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what little thing he said is key. Kelly is bright guy. He can be okay if he analyzes what went wrong in Philly and adapts. The key is to not be stubborn. Yea, of course there is the talent factor. Lots of teams back in the 80s tried to duplicate the 49ers west coast office. But not everyone had Walsh, Montana, and Rice.

Off the top of my head, I don't recall any team trying to replicate what SF had that far back....but your point is taken. I do know teams tried to copy Chicago's 46 defense - Atlanta - to rousing success.

I still really don't know what to make of Kelly/49ers, so I'm just going into it with a clean slate and see what he does.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well after week 1 offense game was a lot better then last year. Its nice having a real coach.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers offensive line grading out well through two games

not surprising at all, it is clear to see in the last two games. lets just hope there're no injuries at OT, obviously we have nothing behind the starters.

imagine if our QB had just a little more accuracy at the 10-15 yard range? No, not pining for Kaep, but at least he'll have some time to look downfield.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers offensive line grading out well through two games

not surprising at all, it is clear to see in the last two games. lets just hope there're no injuries at OT, obviously we have nothing behind the starters.

imagine if our QB had just a little more accuracy at the 10-15 yard range? No, not pining for Kaep, but at least he'll have some time to look downfield.

The pass protection from last year is like night and day. We probably had the worst three lineman on one side in the entire league last year. Kilgore at 50% last year was way better than Martin at 100%. Martin came in against the Panthers for just a few series and gives up a sack. He is awful. They just need to get rid of him. Let Garnett practice at Center. Can't be any worse than Martin.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
“Not every run out of the shotgun is a zone-read, which is another huge misconception from everybody. There’s a lot of times where there’s a tight end there blocking the defensive end, and the quarterback’s not reading anybody. He’s just handing the ball off but then everybody says, ‘They run zone-read all the time.’ . . . They’re handing it off. It’s just, they happen to hand it off from the shotgun as opposed to being underneath the center.”

Ok, part of the reason i thought our run game seems bland, I'm guilty of not knowing the difference explained above. From here on i'll try to pick out if a TE was there or not?

In any case, think he should run a few counters, or Gabbert should keep it a few more times.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“Not every run out of the shotgun is a zone-read, which is another huge misconception from everybody. There’s a lot of times where there’s a tight end there blocking the defensive end, and the quarterback’s not reading anybody. He’s just handing the ball off but then everybody says, ‘They run zone-read all the time.’ . . . They’re handing it off. It’s just, they happen to hand it off from the shotgun as opposed to being underneath the center.”

Ok, part of the reason i thought our run game seems bland, I'm guilty of not knowing the difference explained above. From here on i'll try to pick out if a TE was there or not?

In any case, think he should run a few counters, or Gabbert should keep it a few more times.

Teams are stacking the box against our line like they were doing for the past couple of seasons because they aren't concerned with the deep ball against us.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Teams are stacking the box against our line like they were doing for the past couple of seasons because they aren't concerned with the deep ball against us.

that is true but we can't simply call deep balls and expect it'll work. we just don't have the QB to do it consistently, and apparently only one WR who can get deep?

they DO have to throw it on occasion, no argument there, so were just talking a couple throws.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that is true but we can't simply call deep balls and expect it'll work. we just don't have the QB to do it consistently, and apparently only one WR who can get deep?

they DO have to throw it on occasion, no argument there, so were just talking a couple throws.

Torrey Smith has the speed to stretch the field. Kurley has been open deep a couple of times for big plays and Gabbert just missed him. When healthy, Vance McDonald is a threat as a TE. Gabbert is going to have to a fit some deeper passes to get this offense moving.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
although Gabbert didn't break any long runs, DO like the fact he kept it a few times on the Z/R. You just have to keep it enough times so it remains effective.

Believe he only took two shots downfield, one to Kerley for the TD, and the other was an INT? Again, despite the INT, we have to do it once or twice a game. On the INT, seemed like his placement was worse than his distance? Yes he should've thrown it longer, but even had it been more to one side, Torrey had a chance.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
although Gabbert didn't break any long runs, DO like the fact he kept it a few times on the Z/R. You just have to keep it enough times so it remains effective.

Believe he only took two shots downfield, one to Kerley for the TD, and the other was an INT? Again, despite the INT, we have to do it once or twice a game. On the INT, seemed like his placement was worse than his distance? Yes he should've thrown it longer, but even had it been more to one side, Torrey had a chance.
No he was making bad reads all day on the zone reads. His 1st one was good and after that bad decision after bad decision. He cant throw deep but like you posted he has to do it at least 1-2 times a game.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Torrey Smith has the speed to stretch the field. Kurley has been open deep a couple of times for big plays and Gabbert just missed him. When healthy, Vance McDonald is a threat as a TE. Gabbert is going to have to a fit some deeper passes to get this offense moving.
To be honest he doesnt have the arm strength and talent to do it in coverage. Yes when a guy is wide open he can do it.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest he doesnt have the arm strength and talent to do it in coverage. Yes when a guy is wide open he can do it.

Smith was open yesterday for a TD and Gabbert's pass was awful. His downfield accuracy has never been good.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith was open yesterday for a TD and Gabbert's pass was awful. His downfield accuracy has never been good.
Accuracy has been bad. He just can't do it. He has major limits.