• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

off season thread 2024, new regime

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am defending Forbes because I saw good coverage, superior athletes, and poor decisions.

The jury wasn’t out on Haskins. QB is a different position though, one that requires more character and mental acuity than athletic prowess.

A poll exists is a fact…a poll itself is not a fact. It is a collection of opinions.
I agree with most of what you said.
Forbes tackling was awful though. He might have been the lowest rated cb in all of pff. He was benched twice.

If I recall, Haskins was best up quite a bit here after his rookie year.

A poll is a collection of opinions. That is true, however, it was a collection of emotional opinions void of real logic.

You said there is no emotional attachment for most. Clearly, in this example, there was an emotional attachment to Rivera by fans on a fan website.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I saw from Forbes last year was not good enough. He got bullied by big receivers and lost his confidence. I even saw him lose his man in the back of the endzone late in the season. His tackling was poor at times.

That said, throwing a first round pick out on the street after one season doesn't make sense to me. His position coach was coaching HS football when we grabbed him.

St. Juste regressed as well.

Releasing Forbes now, doesn't really solve much, other than throwing the fans some red meat.

We will find out soon enough if it was coaching or if Forbes is indeed a bust. We'll probably find that out in camp with how intense Whitt seems to be. Whitt talks about violence and being fast. He'll weed out the ones who don't belong.

What is the downside of giving Forbes another year to prove himself? We are not contenders. We should be trying to win, but we should also be in the business of gathering information, especially with a first round pick.

I was just as disappointed as the rest of the board in his play last year. In the end he may very well be a bust. If that's the case, you bench him. What's the cost of letting him go and he ends up flourishing someplace else?

I'm not optimistic about Forbes, but I am cautiously optimistic and curious more than anything. I keep hearing that his weight is not the issue. I'm sure his frame doesn't help, but most are saying it was his technique.

He has to take to coaching. He has to get his confidence back. He has to get stronger, not necessarily bigger. Those things are on him.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I saw from Forbes last year was not good enough. He got bullied by big receivers and lost his confidence. I even saw him lose his man in the back of the endzone late in the season. His tackling was poor at times.

That said, throwing a first round pick out on the street after one season doesn't make sense to me. His position coach was coaching HS football when we grabbed him.

St. Juste regressed as well.

Releasing Forbes now, doesn't really solve much, other than throwing the fans some red meat.

We will find out soon enough if it was coaching or if Forbes is indeed a bust. We'll probably find that out in camp with how intense Whitt seems to be. Whitt talks about violence and being fast. He'll weed out the ones who don't belong.

What is the downside of giving Forbes another year to prove himself? We are not contenders. We should be trying to win, but we should also be in the business of gathering information, especially with a first round pick.

I was just as disappointed as the rest of the board in his play last year. In the end he may very well be a bust. If that's the case, you bench him. What's the cost of letting him go and he ends up flourishing someplace else?

I'm not optimistic about Forbes, but I am cautiously optimistic and curious more than anything. I keep hearing that his weight is not the issue. I'm sure his frame doesn't help, but most are saying it was his technique.

He has to take to coaching. He has to get his confidence back. He has to get stronger, not necessarily bigger. Those things are on him.
Good points.

I dont think he needs to be cut or put on the practice squad. A trade at the right price...sure.

It is a message board and we all have our opinions.

Rivera, in my opinion, was a terrible talent evaluator, and Forbes reflects that. Forbes could be a pro bowler next season, stranger things have happened.

I simply don't believe I need to dismiss the eye test and cling to "faith and hope" that Forbes works out because we drafted him.

For the record, if fans or posters want to take the faith and hope approach..be my guest and be comfortable saying it. Nobody should be intimidated...just my opinion.

I actually hope whitt, Quinn, and peters bring in players who have experience in their scheme who will start. If Forbes beats them out, so be it. I dont believe Forbes should be given special treatment because he is a 1st round pick. I doubt Quinn rolls like that. Best player should start and it could be forbes.

The part that is most frustrating to me is that this was avoidable. I believe nfl.com just rated our draft class as last or next to last. I dont think you can judge a full class until 3 years...maybe 2. Bottom line is it's embarrassing.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I complained about the Forbes pick the moment it became rumor . He wasn’t the “ ball hawk “ we were sold on .

I am not a coach , however I know this , you cant keep drafting projects in round one and keep your job .

We flat out missed on young , Davis was overdrafted as is Forbes and Dotson took a step back
Hopefully Forbes can get back on track but to say he was anything other then a disappointment is just plain Homerism

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with most of what you said.
Forbes tackling was awful though. He might have been the lowest rated cb in all of pff. He was benched twice.

If I recall, Haskins was best up quite a bit here after his rookie year.

A poll is a collection of opinions. That is true, however, it was a collection of emotional opinions void of real logic.

You said there is no emotional attachment for most. Clearly, in this example, there was an emotional attachment to Rivera by fans on a fan website.

Yes his tackling was bad. No argument.

Benched twice by the worst staff ever. BSJ was worse at times and didn’t get benched. Sounds a lot like a personal reason to me.

RR sure…Forbes no.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points.

I dont think he needs to be cut or put on the practice squad. A trade at the right price...sure.

It is a message board and we all have our opinions.

Rivera, in my opinion, was a terrible talent evaluator, and Forbes reflects that. Forbes could be a pro bowler next season, stranger things have happened.

I simply don't believe I need to dismiss the eye test and cling to "faith and hope" that Forbes works out because we drafted him.

For the record, if fans or posters want to take the faith and hope approach..be my guest and be comfortable saying it. Nobody should be intimidated...just my opinion.

I actually hope whitt, Quinn, and peters bring in players who have experience in their scheme who will start. If Forbes beats them out, so be it. I dont believe Forbes should be given special treatment because he is a 1st round pick. I doubt Quinn rolls like that. Best player should start and it could be forbes.

The part that is most frustrating to me is that this was avoidable. I believe nfl.com just rated our draft class as last or next to last. I dont think you can judge a full class until 3 years...maybe 2. Bottom line is it's embarrassing.

I'm not operating on faith and hope. I can only speak for myself. I just thought in a previous post you said they should cut Forbes. I could be wrong on that. I'm only saying releasing him doesn't make sense to me.

I agree, he should be given nothing, nor should anyone.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not operating on faith and hope. I can only speak for myself. I just thought in a previous post you said they should cut Forbes. I could be wrong on that. I'm only saying releasing him doesn't make sense to me.

I agree, he should be given nothing, nor should anyone.
Cutting Forbes would cost us at least 12 million in dead cap I believe. He should not be cut in my opinion.

I wasn't implying you were the faith and hope crowd.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt see particularly good coverage from Forbes last year, and also think that his poor coverage at times was probably at least partly related to bad coaching.

Putting him on an island on AJBrown, and watching him repetitively fail is an indictment on both Forbes and the coaching staff, in my opinion.

Hopefully a better staff will continously strive to put Forbes in a position to succeed, and Forbes himself studies what smaller cb’s do to be successful in the nfl (superior positioning and quickness), and emulates those guys.

There you go. A centrist position.

Last edited:

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Swear, call me names, claim you are right..have at it. You do the same with chiller and pday and get embarassed. You do you.

Im not going to get bullied though.
I did none of those things. I did not mention either of those two. I am not embarrassed by anything.

I have my plate of crow here and hope you have yours ..... I do not decide a persons career based on one year and especially so if the coaching is bad.

Forbes is here for at least two more years so for everyone's sake I hope the new staff have much better luck with him.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you should be embarrassed by plenty.

Anywhoo… forbes is good, forbes sucks, forbes is middling.

There you go.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Salary cap gurus

What does the news today mean to our cap room?

Was that more or less than we though?
I read we might have 81 million starting out with no cuts.
Not sure if that is accurate.

Thank you in advance...I am not a cap guy.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Salary cap is allegedly much higher than people thought.

I think skinsdad had a running total. 81 million seems low to me. I guess that is before cuts.

Not to be a Debbie downer, even though every player we have is a Pro Bowler, i can think of a handful of cuts that hopefully made.

I want peters to have a boat load of money to rebuild the team.

Last edited:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Salary cap is allegedly much higher than people thought.

I think skinsdad had a running total. 81 million seems low to me. I guess that is before cuts.

Not to be a Debbie downer, even though every player we have is a Pro Bowler, i can think of a handful of cuts that hopefully made.

I want peters to have a boat load of money to rebuild the team.

This is old news typically the cap avgs about 10 mil over all the estimates and it won’t be official til the new league yr . We will have over 100 mil with a few cuts to use if neeeded

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is old news typically the cap avgs about 10 mil over all the estimates and it won’t be official til the new league yr . We will have over 100 mil with a few cuts to use if neeeded
Excellent.

Probably click bait a I read that pundits said it would be 242 million.
The article said its closer to 250 million.

Buckle up...lol

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say again that Peters does not have a habit of spending lots of money on FA's. Past history says he will sign them but not big ticket items or very few. It will be interesting to see what they do during the FA season this year.