• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Of Umpires, All Star Games, rainouts, "cinderella" and Cliff Lee

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I tend to hammer the Rangers pretty hard. Old habits do die hard. And while Wash seems like a great guy, I still think he just doesn't manage inside the game that well. But tonight, I'm going to give this team its due respect. They were the better team. No sour grapes here, just the facts really.

Last year, the Giants pitching and clutch hitting were phenomenal. We lost to the better team last year. And for the record, the 2010 Giants would have easily beaten the 2011 Cardinals. But I digress.

1-25, the Rangers had the better team than the Cardinals. I knew Texas was the better team, but not having homefield concerned me. And I was right. That ASG rule does not reward performance on the field by the respective teams. Rangers win this series in 6 games if 1,2, 6, and 7 are in Arlington.

But what I didn't count on was the biased umpiring, the rainout that enabled the only ace in this series to go 3 times, and the "cinderella" mojo that carried the Cardinals. 64% to 36%. That is the unofficial breakdown of questionable balls and strikes that went in the Cardinals favor. And the largest discrepancy since the Yanks beat the Padres in 98. I don't know why this happened. David Stern isn't involved so we can rule that out. My guess: the Larussa factor and the "cinderella" story both worked against the Rangers.

Really, nothing went Texas' way. Sure our pitchers were wild and walked way too many, aided in part by squeezing umps. And St Louis is a good team. But they're not great, and certainly not as good as Texas.

And that is why this loss is so heartbreaking on a myriad of levels. Getting to a WS is hard. Getting there twice in a row is next to impossible. And 3 times? Don't go there. Yankee dynasty in the 90s did it and so did the Larussa A's. But it truly takes a dynasty to do it. And, we did it without Cliff Lee, which I never would have predicted.

This is as bitter a sports pill as I've ever had to swallow. And there have been a few. I will take the replay of game 6 to my grave. Cruz's near catch, Feliz and Feldman both being a strike away. A World Series title being that close. Frankly, you can't be any closer.

But I congratulate the Rangers on a great season. Young, inexperienced arms, a power heavy lineup, and a fatigued bullpen almost made history. It is a crushing way to end a season, especially to a "cinderella" team, but hey, that's the way baseball go.

ashcan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I didn't sleep much after game 6. Ok, so I work the graveyard shift. I can't sleep. But didn't sleep much when I got home and am wide awake as we speak. I'm off tonight. I turned the tv after the 7th inning. Turned it back over after the a few minutes and saw Elvis fly out with a man on base. The spiked his bat on the way to first and threw his helmet as he got to first base. That's how I felt and reacted that way. I left the house after our AB in the 8th. I couldn't watch anymore. I felt numb. Had to go out and comfort myself with junk food run. Sorry, I don't drink. Got back home, nodded off onthe couch, woke up and went out to greet the team. Got there a little late. A cop told me only about 60 people showed up. ON the way home, I stopped and got more junk/comfort food. (Man, this is breaking me up. Got up the nerve to watch sportscenter prior to going to the airport. Flipped off the screen when it showed the Cardinals "Word Champions." ) I left the store, got further down the road and saw the Ranger's buses heading toward Arlington. Feel for those guys. Last time I saw something similar was 4 years ago when TCU lost to Utah after missing two field goals from about 20/30 yards out. My heart broke then and it sure breaks now.
I must agree. I thought we were the better team. I look back at Game 1 and the hit that Allen Craig got to win the game. Then when he came back with another in Game 2, I knew we might be in trouble. But we stole that one. HOw different would things be had we got the call at first base in Game 3? Because it was 16-7, most don't think it mattered. But, how different does Harrison pitch with 2 out and nobody on?
When we jumped out 2-0 last night, I was sure hoping we could get more or at least get out of the first with a lead. I thought I saw the zone shrinking on us, but wasn't certain. Then I saw the pitch by Feldman that walked Molina and knew we were in trouble. But we were also scared to go after 'em. I don't know. I think am rambling.
Great season. Glad we got this far. Two World Series in a row? Wow. But why do we feel so empty? I don't get it. We won the AL Championship. Why are we made to look and feel like failures? My God, Lance Berkman started a rally in Game 6 with a slow roller between Beltre and the pitchter. It's what ultimately got Lewis pulled. He started another tonight, in the 6th I think, we a slow roller right under Adam's glove. Oh, and that single to tie the game in the 10? He broke his bat. Imagine that schitt. Nellie just didn't get back for the triple off Freese's bat in the 9th and to ad insult to injury, Berkman breaks his bat to tie the game. The pitch by Feldman wasn't bad. Just imagine, had he hit it well, it mighta been a line drive out to Josh and then we dance. Well now I know I'm rambling.
Good night, all. Great year R F F L

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I'm crushed as well. Worst sports loss in my entire life. Not even close. 1 strike away from a World Series title. Twice. No other fanbase can ever say that. And we were the better team. That just adds insult to injury.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know I tend to hammer the Rangers pretty hard. Old habits do die hard. And while Wash seems like a great guy, I still think he just doesn't manage inside the game that well. But tonight, I'm going to give this team its due respect. They were the better team. No sour grapes here, just the facts really.

Last year, the Giants pitching and clutch hitting were phenomenal. We lost to the better team last year. And for the record, the 2010 Giants would have easily beaten the 2011 Cardinals. But I digress.

1-25, the Rangers had the better team than the Cardinals. I knew Texas was the better team, but not having homefield concerned me. And I was right. That ASG rule does not reward performance on the field by the respective teams. Rangers win this series in 6 games if 1,2, 6, and 7 are in Arlington.

But what I didn't count on was the biased umpiring, the rainout that enabled the only ace in this series to go 3 times, and the "cinderella" mojo that carried the Cardinals. 64% to 36%. That is the unofficial breakdown of questionable balls and strikes that went in the Cardinals favor. And the largest discrepancy since the Yanks beat the Padres in 98. I don't know why this happened. David Stern isn't involved so we can rule that out. My guess: the Larussa factor and the "cinderella" story both worked against the Rangers.

Really, nothing went Texas' way. Sure our pitchers were wild and walked way too many, aided in part by squeezing umps. And St Louis is a good team. But they're not great, and certainly not as good as Texas.

And that is why this loss is so heartbreaking on a myriad of levels. Getting to a WS is hard. Getting there twice in a row is next to impossible. And 3 times? Don't go there. Yankee dynasty in the 90s did it and so did the Larussa A's. But it truly takes a dynasty to do it. And, we did it without Cliff Lee, which I never would have predicted.

This is as bitter a sports pill as I've ever had to swallow. And there have been a few. I will take the replay of game 6 to my grave. Cruz's near catch, Feliz and Feldman both being a strike away. A World Series title being that close. Frankly, you can't be any closer.

But I congratulate the Rangers on a great season. Young, inexperienced arms, a power heavy lineup, and a fatigued bullpen almost made history. It is a crushing way to end a season, especially to a "cinderella" team, but hey, that's the way baseball go.

Jaar ... nice post. The HFA was pooh pooh'd by stats guys ... but I'm with you and agree HFA in the post season as evidenced by Games 6 and 7 alone is as important as having two more .300 situational hitters in your lineup.

We can argue the strike zone disparity ... but it comes down to having to throw some strikes early to get the others later on is critical. Fact that Carpenter got them and Harrison and Feldman didn't was really more to do with Harrison not spotting his FB. Had he been spotting his FB he would have gotten them and Feldman would have gotten them too. Scooter is the one who got screwed.

I agree on the rainout impact that let STL start Carpenter three times. There was no reason to have the second travel day in the schedule before Game 6 with the teams located only an hour apart by air ... and that set up the NL team to the disadvantage of the AL team.

Good post ... thanks for coming around.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DANG IT JAAR! WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS SO NEGATIVE!!

j/k. I bust your balls all the time, but you nailed it with this post. Great post!