• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

O.J. Anderson

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw an article talking about who the author thought of the recently retired and soon to be retired running back would make it into the Hall of Fame. This got me thinking about who in the past has been snubbed by the Hall of Fame, and Anderson was one I felt was not given enough respect.

He started his career as one of the best backs in the NFL his first 6 years before injuries derailed his career (he was the NFL's second leading rusher as well as yards from scrimmage from 1979-1984). He had 6 1000 yard seasons (1 stolen due to strike, 1982 where he averaged over 73 yards per game) and was the first RB to rush for 10,000 yards and not be elected to the Hall of Fame. Of the top 16 players in yards from scrimmage at the time of his retirement, only Anderson (9th) and Roger Craig (11th) are not in the Hall of Fame. Though he's fallen on the leader charts in recent years - it's hard to imagine that a player in the top 10 in nearly every statistical category for his position doesn't appear to ever have even been considered for the Hall of Fame.

There are now 16 RBs, a combination of eligible and yet-to-be eligible for the Hall of Fame, with 10,000 yards rushing in their careers. With that number, its hard to imagine Anderson ever getting another look at joining the Hall.

Just some rambling thoughts at 4:00 in the morning, and maybe it's a sign I need sleep.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thoughts.
He is borderline I guess.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thoughts.
He is borderline I guess.

With all the talk about Jamal Charles, it's just sad that players who had superior numbers are left out and yet there's strong opinions to get Charles in due mostly to YPC.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all the talk about Jamal Charles, it's just sad that players who had superior numbers are left out and yet there's strong opinions to get Charles in due mostly to YPC.
I think the biggest criteria that should be considered for HOF potential is how good were they when they played in comparison to others of the time. Were they one of the 3 best at their position for a few years. That's why I wouldn't put Philip Rivers in. He had never been one of the best 3 QB's in any season he played.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been retired more than 25 years, which makes me feel really old but it's unlikely he's getting in. But hey Namath and Swann are in so never give up hope.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he is a HOFer. Of course, there are some guys in the hall that I would say the same thing about. But he only made 2 pro bowls and was all pro once. His numbers don't fly off the page at you and if you take away his super bowl MVP, not many people would recognize his name by now.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he only made 2 pro bowls and was all pro once

I think some of that is the team he played on early in his career but I agree with ya.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he is a HOFer. Of course, there are some guys in the hall that I would say the same thing about. But he only made 2 pro bowls and was all pro once. His numbers don't fly off the page at you and if you take away his super bowl MVP, not many people would recognize his name by now.

This is why I hate the pro bowl argument. Anderson should have more than 2.

1981 - 328/1376/9 51/387/0 - #5 in NFL in rushing. Better numbers than all 4 AFC backs in PB.
1982 - 145/587/3 14/106/0 - Better numbers than George Rogers (NFC's 3rd RB in PB)
1983 - 296/1270/5 54/459/1 - Better numbers than 2 AFC backs.
1984 - 289/1174/6 70/611/2 - Better numbers to Wendell Tyler (4th NFC back in PB) and all AFC backs.
1989 - 325/1023/14 28/268/0 - Numbers comparable to Roger Craig (NFC's 3rd back) - fewer yards from scrimmage, more TDs.
1990 - 225/784/11 18/139/0 - Case could've been made his 923 yfs/11 TDs were more worthy than Johnny Johnson's 1167 yfs/5 TDs.

In a perfect world (where everything goes Anderson's way) he could've had as many as 6 more pro bowl bids. Had he just been in the AFC instead of the NFC, then he has 3 more pro bowls.

In all, I think he should've had at least 5 PBs with the numbers he put up early in his career. Playing in St. Louis did him no favors. I am just saying that it's really too bad that he wasn't ever even considered. He was never even a finalist for the HoF voting. 10,000 career rushing yards, and he never even got a chance at the Hall.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been retired more than 25 years, which makes me feel really old but it's unlikely he's getting in. But hey Namath and Swann are in so never give up hope.

Namath was amazing.... saw him live once or twice... especially that 1969 Superbowl vs the colts... Great game... I was rooting hard that day....

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw an article talking about who the author thought of the recently retired and soon to be retired running back would make it into the Hall of Fame. This got me thinking about who in the past has been snubbed by the Hall of Fame, and Anderson was one I felt was not given enough respect.

He started his career as one of the best backs in the NFL his first 6 years before injuries derailed his career (he was the NFL's second leading rusher as well as yards from scrimmage from 1979-1984). He had 6 1000 yard seasons (1 stolen due to strike, 1982 where he averaged over 73 yards per game) and was the first RB to rush for 10,000 yards and not be elected to the Hall of Fame. Of the top 16 players in yards from scrimmage at the time of his retirement, only Anderson (9th) and Roger Craig (11th) are not in the Hall of Fame. Though he's fallen on the leader charts in recent years - it's hard to imagine that a player in the top 10 in nearly every statistical category for his position doesn't appear to ever have even been considered for the Hall of Fame.

There are now 16 RBs, a combination of eligible and yet-to-be eligible for the Hall of Fame, with 10,000 yards rushing in their careers. With that number, its hard to imagine Anderson ever getting another look at joining the Hall.

Just some rambling thoughts at 4:00 in the morning, and maybe it's a sign I need sleep.

I think Roger Craig was significantly better than Anderson...

Wouldn't have minded Craig making the HOF...

But I do not see the argument for Anderson...Only had 3 seasons with more than 10 TDs, never having 15 or more...

He never had the 2000 yards from scrimmage, and only had over 1500 rushing yards once in his career...

he was only a 2 time pro-bowl and a one time all pro...

Anderson's best seasons were not good enough to get him in, and his longevity wasn't good enough either...

I think he belongs where he is in history... remembered as a very good but not great RB...

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But I do not see the argument for Anderson...Only had 3 seasons with more than 10 TDs, never having 15 or more...

He never had the 2000 yards from scrimmage, and only had over 1500 rushing yards once in his career...

Anderson's best seasons were not good enough to get him in, and his longevity wasn't good enough either...

I think he belongs where he is in history... remembered as a very good but not great RB...

Good Lord I agree with Milk!!! :L

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely hate when people use pro bowl appearances to quantify a player. Pro bowl is a popularity contest. When we use it to justify HOF we are doing a disservice to the HOF.

Her is one year:

1) Maurkice Pouncey, C - It's no surprise that the biggest Pro Bowl farce happens on the unit that fans and players pay the least attention to: the offensive line. At some point last year, Steeler Nation decided that their center was going to be a perennial Pro Bowler, and the national media took the bait. Pouncey is an average run blocker and struggles in pass protection, and yet still was voted in over Chris Myers, the engine for the powerful Texan run game. Houston's offensive line is the best in the league, yet will not have a single representative in Hawaii.

2) Dwight Freeney, DE - Freeney has been one of the best defensive ends of the last decade, but this season was his worst in five years. His 7.5 sacks are nothing impressive and he has just 12 tackles all season. TWELVE. J.J. Watt has 5.5 sacks and 47 tackles, and has been a disruptive force for the Texans after Mario Williams was lost for the year. It's a shame his excellent play this season couldn't overcome Freeney's popularity.
3) Vince Wilfork, DT - Sacks are an unreliable stat when judging a player's performance, but not in this case. Wilfork has had an average year with only 2.5 quarterback takedowns and another 14 QB pressures. Cincinnati Geno Atkins, on the other hand, has 8 sacks and 25 QB pressures. The Bengals would be nowhere near the playoff race without the most dangerous tackle in the league.
4) Greg Jennings, WR - There is no doubt that Jennings is one of the best receiving threats in the game, but the NFC wide receiver field is so stacked that I don't understand how folks voted for a player who missed 3 games and won't even pass the 1,000 yard mark. I'd rather give this spot to Jordy Nelson, who leads the Packers in receiving yards and touchdowns, orVictor Cruz, who has 400 more yards than Jennings.
5) Antonio Gates, TE - Gates has long been the standard for receiving tight ends, but he fell behind the pack this year. Do you want a tight end who puts up stats? Aaron Hernandez, Dustin Keller, Owen Daniels, and Jared Cook have all outproduced Gates this year. Do you prefer your Pro Bowl tight end to actually (gasp!) run block? Then Anthony Fasano is your man. There were way too many options here for the voters to automatically default to Gates.
6) Davin Joseph, G - Unlike the others players on this list, Davin Joseph is not a household name. Yet as a below-average blocker in both the passing and running game, he's just as undeserving of the honor bestowed upon him. The Eagles' Evan Mathis has been by far the best run-blocking guard in the league and he hasn't given up a single sack all season.

7) Ray Lewis, ILB - Don't get me wrong, Lewis has played well this season. He just hasn't been nearly as productive asBrian Cushing. Cushing has pressured, hit or sacked the quarterback 34 times this season. Lewis has had only nine such plays, and was injured for a quarter of the season to boot.

8) Brian Urlacher, ILB - There are some positions in sports that are more hallowed than others, like center fielder for the Yankees or guard for the Lakers. In the NFL, no position carries more historical weight than middle linebacker for the Chicago Bears. As soon as Brian Urlacher flashed his talents in his rookie season, the media anointed him the next Mike Singletary or Dick Butkus. Urlacher often deserves the Pro Bowl recognition that he receives, but this year he does not. The 49ers'NaVorro Bowman leads the league in run stops and has over 40 more tackles than the Bears' middle linebacker.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You appear to like looking back with current norms on players from the past, but what you seem to forget - that 1913 yards from scrimmage was 7th all time when it happened. It wasn't like it was common to have 2000 yards from scrimmage in 1979. That particular feat had happened only 4 times to that point. Just because it happens frequently now doesn't mean that it was a given for a RB to do that then.

Earl Campbell rode the first 6 years of his career to the Hall of Fame, yet Anderson's first 6 (starting a year after Campbell) was equal or better in many ways and he's just a footnote to the Super Bowl won by the backup QB. In all, he had as many 1900 yfs seasons as Campbell (1) more 1700 yfs seasons than Campbell (4 to 2) and more 1600 yfs seasons than Campbell (5 to 2). Also, while Roger Craig's 2 2000 yard seasons top everything Anderson did, Anderson holds the next 5 in the matchup before Craig's 1527 in 1989.

Anderson was a complete back. He had speed, power and versatility. He was one of the best for the better part of a decade before injuries limited his playing time and diminished his abilities, yet he still ran up another 1000 yard season at 32. I'm not saying he should be a HoFer, but that he's so underrated that he was never even truly considered when there's less accomplished players already in. Maybe everything looks different if he isn't a Cardinal through his prime, or doesn't try to continue playing after injuries put him on the bench for 4 years.

One final obscure point, Anderson's final 3 healthy seasons with the Cardinals were all winning seasons (combined 22-18-1), yet once he's hurt they fall back to 5-11 (1-7 in games he touched the ball less than 2 times), and don't have another winning season for 11 years.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yao Ming was a multiple time all star, so he should be a hall of fammer.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You appear to like looking back with current norms on players from the past, but what you seem to forget - that 1913 yards from scrimmage was 7th all time when it happened. It wasn't like it was common to have 2000 yards from scrimmage in 1979. That particular feat had happened only 4 times to that point. Just because it happens frequently now doesn't mean that it was a given for a RB to do that then.

Earl Campbell rode the first 6 years of his career to the Hall of Fame, yet Anderson's first 6 (starting a year after Campbell) was equal or better in many ways and he's just a footnote to the Super Bowl won by the backup QB. In all, he had as many 1900 yfs seasons as Campbell (1) more 1700 yfs seasons than Campbell (4 to 2) and more 1600 yfs seasons than Campbell (5 to 2). Also, while Roger Craig's 2 2000 yard seasons top everything Anderson did, Anderson holds the next 5 in the matchup before Craig's 1527 in 1989.

Anderson was a complete back. He had speed, power and versatility. He was one of the best for the better part of a decade before injuries limited his playing time and diminished his abilities, yet he still ran up another 1000 yard season at 32. I'm not saying he should be a HoFer, but that he's so underrated that he was never even truly considered when there's less accomplished players already in. Maybe everything looks different if he isn't a Cardinal through his prime, or doesn't try to continue playing after injuries put him on the bench for 4 years.

One final obscure point, Anderson's final 3 healthy seasons with the Cardinals were all winning seasons (combined 22-18-1), yet once he's hurt they fall back to 5-11 (1-7 in games he touched the ball less than 2 times), and don't have another winning season for 11 years.

But Campbell had 5 seasons with 10 or more TDs including a 19, Anderson only had 3 seasons and the most he ever had was 14... 19 lead the NFL in TDs...

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Campbell had 5 seasons with 10 or more TDs including a 19, Anderson only had 3 seasons and the most he ever had was 14... 19 lead the NFL in TDs...

Those numbers are factually accurate. So is the fact that Anderson has more rushing yards, receiving yard, total yards, rushing tds, receiving tds and total tds than Campbell. None of those numbers shows that Anderson compared fairly favorably to Campbell before both players had issues with injuries hurting their careers.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny thing is I don't remember calling him O.J. Anderson, I remember watching him play when he first started with the Cardinals and I remember always calling him Ottis...

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always liked Ottis but of the 10,000 yard backs I think Tiki, Edge and Watters all should go in before Ottis does. I think Barber might be the most underrated running back of all time.