• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Notre Dame down 2 Starters on Defense for Fiesta Bowl

nathans8823

Well-Known Notre Dame Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 203.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25431572/notre-dame-down-two-starters-for-fiesta-bowl-vs-ohio-state
CBSSPORTS

Brian Kelly announced Tuesday that safety Max Redfield has been suspended for violating team rules and will be sent home. Making matters worse for the Irish in the secondary, cornerback Devin Butlersuffered a broken bone in his foot on Monday.

Redfield is a key part of this defensive backfield and was the third-leading tackler on the team (64 tackles) heading into Friday's game. He went on Instagram after being sent home to apologize to his teammates, coaches and the Notre Dame fans.

"Rules are implemented for a reason and not following them is unacceptable, which I completely understand. Although I was not alone in my two incidents of being punctual, I solely take responsibility for my actions," Redfield wrote. "I will continue to grow and learn from this as well as continue to contemplate how to become the absolute best version of me while giving everything I have to make it happen daily."

Notre Dame and Ohio State's Fiesta Bowl meeting is one of the most anticipated postseason bowl games outside of the College Football Playoff. This is obviously a huge blow for the Irish defense, providing an opportunity for Ohio State to push the ball down the field if J.T. Barrett and the Buckeyes passing attack, which struggled at times this season, can get rolling

The Buckeyes are 6.5-point favorites in the matchup, which is set for 1 p.m. ET on Jan. 1.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup they seem to have swung and missed on him.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Devin Butler re-broke his foot again. This time he is scheduled to miss 14-16 weeks. Looks like they will be making a decision as to whether 16 weeks would result in him taking a redshirt year and coming back to play in 2017. It seems like we are going to have a very inexperienced defensive backfield this year.

Rust Cohle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Devin Butler re-broke his foot again. This time he is scheduled to miss 14-16 weeks. Looks like they will be making a decision as to whether 16 weeks would result in him taking a redshirt year and coming back to play in 2017. It seems like we are going to have a very inexperienced defensive backfield this year.

I wouldn't say that. Luke and Redfield have been playing since they were frosh and mark my words, Crawford is a stud. I saw him play 2x at the hs level and the kid is an amazing athlete. This loss hurts in terms of depth, but it's not major.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is more of a depth issue. I'd expect Redfield or Studstill and Tranquill to start at safety, Luke and Watkins or Coleman at CB and Crawford at nickel.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is more of a depth issue. I'd expect Redfield or Studstill and Tranquill to start at safety, Luke and Watkins or Coleman at CB and Crawford at nickel.

I have serious concerns about our DB depth. We have Crawford and Tranquill coming back from serious knee injuries and Watkins off a broken hand in the spring. Redfield was really highly rated out of high school, but hasn't played up to his press clippings. Coleman has a lot of talent as well, but let's see how he can play as a starter. I like our starting corners, but their backups are pretty green.

These guys could be really good, but hopefully there isn't a drop off due to these injuries. (Too bad Russell left)

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have serious concerns about our DB depth. We have Crawford and Tranquill coming back from serious knee injuries and Watkins off a broken hand in the spring. Redfield was really highly rated out of high school, but hasn't played up to his press clippings. Coleman has a lot of talent as well, but let's see how he can play as a starter. I like our starting corners, but their backups are pretty green.

These guys could be really good, but hopefully there isn't a drop off due to these injuries. (Too bad Russell left)
What we really need is the football gods to show mercy on the injuries. Justin Brent has a lisfranc injury but didn't sound as bad as Jerron Jones' from last year. Good news is Sanders is recovering well from his hip injury (ahead of rehab schedule).

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What we really need is the football gods to show mercy on the injuries. Justin Brent has a lisfranc injury but didn't sound as bad as Jerron Jones' from last year. Good news is Sanders is recovering well from his hip injury (ahead of rehab schedule).

Damn, I forgot that Sanders was injured. And Robinson may give it up. You're right, we need a break from the injuries. Any chance this is due to the field turf versus the real grass.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, I forgot that Sanders was injured. And Robinson may give it up. You're right, we need a break from the injuries. Any chance this is due to the field turf versus the real grass.
A lot of broken bones more than ligament tears.

Could be turf, could be conditioning. Could be bad luck.