• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Non-Mariners Free Agent Signings/Moves

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that and about passed out. Trade Gilbert now because we ain't paying him anything close to that. Sell the team!
Depending how the first half goes, trading Gilbert is on my bingo card.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending how the first half goes, trading Gilbert is on my bingo card.
And that is an absolute shame we are even considering it. He should be our next Felix or Freddie. He and Kirby should be 10 year Mariners, but they won't be.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was just two months ago people were saying the Phillies overpaid to extend Aaron Nola. Now Nola is probably ready to kill his agent for getting low-balled.
Wheeler's new contract also killed any longshot chance that the Mariners might sign Blake Snell. If Wheeler is worth $42 mill/year, what is Snell's market value now?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that is an absolute shame we are even considering it. He should be our next Felix or Freddie. He and Kirby should be 10 year Mariners, but they won't be.
There’s no way that is going to happen. A. The Mariners are cheap, but B. They didn’t trade Miller or Woo because they will be letting one of those two walk which I would assume would be Gilbert

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s no way that is going to happen. A. The Mariners are cheap, but B. They didn’t trade Miller or Woo because they will be letting one of those two walk which I would assume would be Gilbert
I agree but that should never happen with a legit MLB organization...which we are not.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but that should never happen with a legit MLB organization...which we are not.
Well if these young prospects end up working out the M’s could have basically their entire budget wrapped up in Julio, Cal, Gilbert and Kirby. But the likelihood of everyone of the 7 top 150ish guys work out is a pipe dream.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Erik Swason's 4-year-old got hit by a car at the BJ's training camp in Bradenton. Had to be airlifted. I'm not going to do the whole 'thoughts and prayers' thing because I think most people who post the T&P are just doing lip service and don't actually pray. I just hope the kid is okay. From one parent to another, that shit would lift my anxiety to a level that would be unfathomable.
Keegan Matheson

@KeeganMatheson
·
2h
Erik Swanson just met with us for the first time since his 4-year-old son, Toby, was airlifted to hospital after being hit by a vehicle.“I stand here, very happily, telling you that in the next day or two, he should probably be going home.” #BlueJays

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keegan Matheson

@KeeganMatheson
·
2h
Erik Swanson just met with us for the first time since his 4-year-old son, Toby, was airlifted to hospital after being hit by a vehicle.“I stand here, very happily, telling you that in the next day or two, he should probably be going home.” #BlueJays
Great news.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blue Jays signed 1B Joey Votto to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.
He’s finally coming home. After nearly two decades with Cincinnati, the Ontario native will be in camp with Toronto for the remainder of the spring to compete for a spot on the club’s season-opening roster. The deal includes a $2 million salary and $2 million in additional incentives, if the 40-year-old veteran first baseman is added the the Blue Jays’ roster. He’s no longer a relevant fantasy contributor, but he remains an invaluable clubhouse presence and leader as he attempts to make it back for an 18th season in the majors.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the Mariners are not out here spending big money on free agents and they know if they want to compete and sign a free agent they would have to pay the above market price of that player to make our organization more attractive as opposed to the Dodgers or Yankees. I have always believed that they are saving that cap space for keeping our own players come time for contract talks but at the end of the day if Gilbert or Kirby or whoever tells us that they want to test free agency then we might as well trade him because we can't compete with these crazy contracts.

In regards to Zach Wheeler his annual salary is high because he took a short term 3 year deal most likely because of his age. If he was 27 his annual salary would be lower and his length of contract would be longer.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also everybody see how Noevli Marte is getting suspended 80 games? Tough break for the Reds I thought this season he was going to be a breakout star but it looks like this may not be his season.

I guess we can give some praise to Jerry Dipoto as a win. I know a lot of people say he is terrible but he did make a great move in trading away Marte and acquiring Castillo.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we can give some praise to Jerry Dipoto as a win. I know a lot of people say he is terrible but he did make a great move in trading away Marte and acquiring Castillo.
If he could have signed Gausman that offseason like he tried to, we could have had a guy as good or better than Castillo and kept all those prospects. That is how I judge him.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he could have signed Gausman that offseason like he tried to, we could have had a guy as good or better than Castillo and kept all those prospects. That is how I judge him.

Its tough to say what went wrong in trying to sign him. Maybe the Blue Jays offered more money, maybe he didn't really want to go to Seattle and preferred Toronto as they had a better team and star power. I wouldn't put it on Jerry as that wasn't completely in his hands there are a ton of factors in signing free agents. I will say also so far those prospects are doing too well of the 4 two are not on the team, Marte is getting suspended 80 games and we will see what comes of Arroyo but we have a super surplus of infielders in our farm we really do not need him.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its tough to say what went wrong in trying to sign him. Maybe the Blue Jays offered more money, maybe he didn't really want to go to Seattle and preferred Toronto as they had a better team and star power. I wouldn't put it on Jerry as that wasn't completely in his hands there are a ton of factors in signing free agents. I will say also so far those prospects are doing too well of the 4 two are not on the team, Marte is getting suspended 80 games and we will see what comes of Arroyo but we have a super surplus of infielders in our farm we really do not need him.
LOL! Sorry I hate the defense of GM's using all these excuses. He has a job and it his his job to get it done. That is it. There very few times a guy takes less to go where he wants. Money talks and BS walks and Dipoto seems to be full of BS. You have to know players see through his sad act.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL! Sorry I hate the defense of GM's using all these excuses. He has a job and it his his job to get it done. That is it. There very few times a guy takes less to go where he wants. Money talks and BS walks and Dipoto seems to be full of BS. You have to know players see through his sad act.

I guess I am on the other side of the aisle with this. If it is true that ownership isn't giving JD a reasonable budget to work with then we will be seeing players like Luke Raley and Josh Rojas in your lineup. I would imagine if he had a huge budget to work with he would use the money. As far as the players go I think they should be help accountable the way Julio Rodriguez and Luis Castillo finished the final 10 games of last season I think its wrong to pin that on JD.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NEWS: New York Yankees starting pitcher Gerrit Cole is expected to miss at least one-to-two months as he undergoes additional testing on his right elbow, a source tells
@ChrisKirschner

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also everybody see how Noevli Marte is getting suspended 80 games? Tough break for the Reds I thought this season he was going to be a breakout star but it looks like this may not be his season.

We have to give Jerry praise because he knew Marte would get busted for PED’s? It is way too early to give a grade on that deal unless the goal was to end the playoff drought. I’d argue if Jerry knew the team would be hamstrung payroll wise he would go back to that deadline and either not make the deal or not signed Castillo to that deal.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have to give Jerry praise because he knew Marte would get busted for PED’s? It is way too early to give a grade on that deal unless the goal was to end the playoff drought. I’d argue if Jerry knew the team would be hamstrung payroll wise he would go back to that deadline and either not make the deal or not signed Castillo to that deal.
The more I hear Dipoto spew his BS, the more I wonder if didn't know the payroll plan all along.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I hear Dipoto spew his BS, the more I wonder if didn't know the payroll plan all along.
I definitely think Jerry thought he’d had more payroll. Dude looked dejected at the winter meetings. Before the 54% comment he made it abundantly clear their payroll would be higher and it didn’t seem like he was saying a couple of million more. I think he zero’d in on Garver with the assumption he’d still get more money because the rest of offseason really makes no sense when his first big move was getting a full time DH. Haniger and Polanco for sure need DH days, but so does Julio, Cal and Urias.

Though I do wish Stanton would go on the record. Literally nothing changed from the post season press conference and the winter meetings money wise since they knew about Xfinity thing before the season ended. Only difference was Jerry made the organization the joke of the sport. And just curious if that had something to do with them not opening up the wallet. He doesn’t have an extension yet and it really doesn’t make sense to allow him to make a $200 investment in a player if they aren’t willing to commit to him.