• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No playoff according to coaches

Epic Leprikon

I am Epic Leprikon?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going back to my previous posts on how the NCAA bball tourney is a circus, and if they adopted something similar for football...they are getting close to expanding the bball tourney to 96 teams...how does a playoff sound when it turns into 32 teams in a decade or two?

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you want to say no to something that "might" happen in a decade or two?

You need to learn how to live for today.

I would like to say that that won't happen because I don't believe that a football playoff would ever expand that much but I can not say that that won't happen anymore than you can say that it will happen.

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the 3rd time in this thread, I could not disagree with you more. :)

Epic Leprikon

I am Epic Leprikon?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha, totally different sides of the fence. Untill I hear something that makes me believe a playoff would get rid of all the controversy, or benefit college football, I will stay on my side, with the current system, that just needs a few tweaks :)

YuHusker1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If you are truly the best team then you would win your games. If you lose in a playoff then you are not the best team.

You can not compare the basketball tourney and a possible football playoff. There are 3 times as many basketball teams as there is football teams.

The best team does not necessarily win and most times would not with the type of tournament you are talking about. Its not about being afraid of anything. Its about the teams that need the real street cred REFUSING to play known good teams. Canceling games or not even responding to offers from good teams. What does that say. Says we the team that needs to earn the reputation do not want to have to do what the other good teams have had to do, EARN it. You take the COLLEGE KIDS out of class, expose them to a lot more chances to get hurt and it could be career ending injuries and that could be pros also.

The teams have all they need to get the street cred by taking offers from good teams and play good teams back to back like the good teams have to do in their conf.

Teams that want to make the claim to the NC game. Need to quit canceling the games against known good teams and take games with good teams and they also have to score 60+ against every conf. team they play and in some teams case that have done neither.

YuHusker1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Eric
The guy just does not think anything anyone else says is worth a penny. And he is doing what most of the schools he is trying to represent, call everyone cowards, in this case calling the mod a coward.
He is just a troll.

I can only speak for myself but I know on some things I am controversial but on a lot of things if you can make a reasonable case I will change my stance in some cases. And I do make mistakes and if shown what it is I will apologize cause I can learn. But in competition that are certain things that need to happen. It is called put up or shut up. If a team or person has the ability to schedule good comp. and doesn't then they are just a bunch of blowhards and do not have any respect from me in any way and if it was up to me those types of teams would be forced to play HS teams until they do what they need to do to improve their stance. There are some teams that the AD or College pres. has said, Anyone, any time, anywhere and have not contacted good teams on offers and pulled out of games against known good teams.

Epic Leprikon

I am Epic Leprikon?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric
The guy just does not think anything anyone else says is worth a penny. And he is doing what most of the schools he is trying to represent, call everyone cowards, in this case calling the mod a coward.
He is just a troll.

Disagree. Just because he doesn't agree, and he refuses to change his stance, doesn't make him a troll. I wish more people would engage in friendly debate without calling names or putting people down for disagreeing or taking interest in things they don't agree with.

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best team does not necessarily win and most times would not with the type of tournament you are talking about. Its not about being afraid of anything. Its about the teams that need the real street cred REFUSING to play known good teams. Canceling games or not even responding to offers from good teams. What does that say. Says we the team that needs to earn the reputation do not want to have to do what the other good teams have had to do, EARN it. You take the COLLEGE KIDS out of class, expose them to a lot more chances to get hurt and it could be career ending injuries and that could be pros also.

The teams have all they need to get the street cred by taking offers from good teams and play good teams back to back like the good teams have to do in their conf.

Teams that want to make the claim to the NC game. Need to quit canceling the games against known good teams and take games with good teams and they also have to score 60+ against every conf. team they play and in some teams case that have done neither.

I disagree with your comment about the best team not winning. The more games you play, the more you weed out the pretenders. If you are truly the best team then you will continue to win. Anyone can win in a one game situation (look at the Iowa St game last year). You put a string of tough games together and the cream will rise to the top.

And you capitalized "COLLEGE KIDS". First of all, they are not kids. They are young men. Second, you are apparently trying to keep the "student" in "student athlete". Well get real, it is about money. Look at the upcoming expansion of basketball tournament. If anyone thinks that that move is about anything other than money then they are delusional. Why do you think the BCS bowl system is still in place. The college presidents and ADs still believe that that is what creates the most money for them. They only pretend to care about the "student" part of that.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The student part of student athlete is all but irrelevant, I can agree with you there, jed...

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric
He is just a troll.

I can only speak for myself but I know on some things I am controversial but on a lot of things if you can make a reasonable case I will change my stance in some cases. And I do make mistakes and if shown what it is I will apologize cause I can learn. But in competition that are certain things that need to happen. It is called put up or shut up. If a team or person has the ability to schedule good comp. and doesn't then they are just a bunch of blowhards and do not have any respect from me in any way and if it was up to me those types of teams would be forced to play HS teams until they do what they need to do to improve their stance. There are some teams that the AD or College pres. has said, Anyone, any time, anywhere and have not contacted good teams on offers and pulled out of games against known good teams.

In response to the first paragraph, I am assuming you are talking about me. I only have one thing to say about that. You are wrong about me not thinking that anything anyone says is worth a penny. I only think what you say is worth a penny. And trust me that I am being generous when I say that.

As for the second paragraph, I have no problem with changing my stance on issues as well when presented with a good argument but just as Epic doesn't think that I have given him enough to change his mind, he has not given me enough to change mine. Also, I am not here to change people's mind. People should think for themselves. I am just here to give my opinion and defend it. Do with it what you will, I don't give a fuck.

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. Just because he doesn't agree, and he refuses to change his stance, doesn't make him a troll. I wish more people would engage in friendly debate without calling names or putting people down for disagreeing or taking interest in things they don't agree with.

You know as well as I do that if this thread was put on the 4 letter board, or anything like this with opposing views, it would have quickly turned into a shouting match and name calling. Without looking over this thread again I don't think that has happened yet. At least the posts that actually pertain to the subject of the thread.

Epic Leprikon

I am Epic Leprikon?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go choke on a meat pie you dunderheaded ninniehammer!!!

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be honest, one of the main reasons I don't want a playoff is just because I feel like any tradition with bowl season that is left right now would be demolished. I am maybe being selfish with that thought process, but I do believe that no team should be able to look back at their regular season schedule and call any game a fluke. You either win them or you lose them. In my opinion only the best 4 teams at most should have a shot at winning the national title at the end of the season, and I guess the rankings are the only way we can truly come to a decision on who the best teams are.

With the old bowl system many times #1 played #3 at the end, and #2 played #4 or whatever......each team still had a chance at being crowned national champions (though #4 needed to play one hell of a game). I don't necessarily think we need a "national championship" game designated each year......unless you have a situation like Nebraska and Florida both going undefeated in 95.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's rich shady. very funny!

a playoff is in order period. this is not a media creation. it is not a money making scheme. it is not to "mess with tradition".

this is not the "good ole days". time for a playoff!

This is not the NFL either.....there should not be 2nd chances in college football, and that's what makes college football great. Just like Nebraska shouldn't have ended up playing for the 2001 national championship after getting destroyed by Colorado.

No 2nd chances! Make the kids play their hearts out every game of the year if they want to play in the finale. A playoff is too soft.....it's too kind.....it's too forgiving.

Epic Leprikon

I am Epic Leprikon?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No 2nd chances! Make the kids play their hearts out every game of the year if they want to play in the finale. A playoff is too soft.....it's too kind.....it's too forgiving.

"You played great today guys...yeah you lost the conference title, your 3rd game of the season, and any credibility as a serious title contender, but hey, all our worst football is behind us, lets go into the tournament and play for real! Cause the rest of our games didn't really matter anyway!"

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that no one on here is making this argument but I just had to bring it up to show the hypocrisy of the NCAA.

The NCAA wants to expand the basketball tournament. One of the first things the NCAA says against a football playoff is that the "student athletes" would miss too much class time. Forget the fact that the football playoff would happen during winter break. This basketball expansion format would force a few teams that kept winning from being in class for up to a full week. That does not happen now. When the heads of the NCAA were challenged on that, they wouldn't acknowledge that obvious fact.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea not only are they going to expand it, but they are going to expand it to 96 teams.........it's the dumbest thing I've heard of in ages.....but it's all about the money.