• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No playoff according to coaches

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there isn't going to be a playoff then they should go back to the old school bowl system.

But a playoff would benefit college football so much more than even the old bowl system.

how the fuck would anyone benefit?

Epic Leprikon

I am Epic Leprikon?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really glad this thread hasn't turned into a big fight, always seems to any other time, but seriously, how would it benefit college football. THE ONLY thing it would be good for, is money. It would cause many more problems.

The only real reason I see people support a playoff, is because they want more games, and they want a crazy march madness atmosphere, and I pointed out earlier how horrible of a format that is. Seems like people don't want sports, they want entertainment, like people going to hockey games to see fights, or to races to see wrecks....

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not asking for the world. All I want is a 4 team playoff, 8 at the absolute most.

The product on the field for college football is, in my opinion, the best out there!!!!!! The product off the field needs to be cleaned up. Preseason polls needs to go away, which would eliminate some of the popularity contest that surrounds college football. If they are going to keep a system where there is controversy at the end of all the games then why even crown a national champ? I want real national champions. Just to keep it local around here, who was playing better football at the end of the 1999 season than Nebraska? No one in my opinion. What did we get for it? A Big 12 title and what else? Why should we get a chance to prove it on the field rather than letting some POS media people decide? There are still Husker fans that hate on Lee Berfknect because he voted Michigan #1 in 1997. Well if there was a playoff then there wouldn't have been that problem. We would have killed Michigan and we would have been the sole champion.

I realize that this issue is just like the 2 topics that I stay away from, politics and religion, because people on either one side or the other and are not going to change but it is much funner to talk about than the other 2.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not asking for the world. All I want is a 4 team playoff, 8 at the absolute most.

There are still Husker fans that hate on Lee Berfknect because he voted Michigan #1 in 1997. Well if there was a playoff then there wouldn't have been that problem. We would have killed Michigan and we would have been the sole champion.

With the current BCS system in place now, #1 Michigan and #2Nebraska would have played for the 1997 national championship. If you remember, the Big 10 and Pac 10 didn't want to give up their precious Rose Bowl alliance back then, thus the formation of the current BCS where #1 and #2 must now play.

I don't have an issue with a +1 game (only if necessary), but any form of play-off whether it be 4 teams or 8 teams is still gonna "leave someone out".
The crying will continue and may even get louder. How will a 4 team play-off eliminate a popularity contest if there is still a human factor to determine who the 4 will be?

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well there is a human factor in the college basketball selection as well. But the championship is still decided on the court.

I say keep the BCS formula to decide who will be the top 4 or 8. Yes there will be someone left out but the #3 team now has much more of a beef than the #5 or #9 team. If a team is truly the best team then they will beat who ever is put in front of them. Look at Kansas this year in the tourney. Going in they had the best roster of players and was the #1 overall team. Well they obviously are not the best team.

Epic Leprikon

I am Epic Leprikon?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still haven't heard any good reasons for a playoff...or why it is soooooo great for college football.....

Epic Leprikon

I am Epic Leprikon?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a team is truly the best team then they will beat who ever is put in front of them.

So only undefeated teams should be national champions?

Also, on the one-up game. How/when/WHO decides if that is necessary?

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So only undefeated teams should be national champions?

Also, on the one-up game. How/when/WHO decides if that is necessary?

I never said anything about undefeated teams. All I am saying is that if you claim to be the best team then playing an extra game or 2 to prove it shouldn't be a problem.

As for the +1 game, I am not one that says it should only be if necessary.

A question for you after saying that you still haven't heard why a playoff would be good for college football. Is constant controversy and speculation a good thing? If it is then you are right that everything is fine and dandy with the current system. I still disagree, but you are right in that thought process then.

Epic Leprikon

I am Epic Leprikon?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Extra game or 2? Force every team to play another OOC Division 1 team or 2...which I don't like either.

+1 game, I was responding to IRULE.

Constant controversy and speculation would happen just as much if not more with even a 4 team playoff...solving absolutely nothing.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not for a +1 game.. I just would rather see that if they can figure out how to make it circumstantial.

Epic Leprikon

I am Epic Leprikon?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, I am all for debate/discussion with opposing opinions, makes the conversations more interesting. It's when people blast someone else for thinking differently or taking interest/talking about things they don't personally agree with.

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, I am all for debate/discussion with opposing opinions, makes the conversations more interesting. It's when people blast someone else for thinking differently or taking interest/talking about things they don't personally agree with.

Which is why this current conversation/debate has been going so well.

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Extra game or 2? Force every team to play another OOC Division 1 team or 2...which I don't like either.

+1 game, I was responding to IRULE.

Constant controversy and speculation would happen just as much if not more with even a 4 team playoff...solving absolutely nothing.

I could not possibly disagree with you more.

Epic Leprikon

I am Epic Leprikon?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could not possibly disagree with you more.

LOL you have said that before in this post, but if you honestly believe that even a 1-4 seed playoff, would fix the controversy, that is incredibly naive. People would immediately start screaming for the current system when somebody got screwed :)

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When there are clear cut #1 and #2 similar to Michigan/Nebraska in 1997 or Penn St/Nebraska in 1994 then I see no need for a play-off. The BCS system would have worked fine in both instances.

The +1 would be when you have situations like Auburn or USC a few years ago when they got left out.

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL you have said that before in this post, but if you honestly believe that even a 1-4 seed playoff, would fix the controversy, that is incredibly naive. People would immediately start screaming for the current system when somebody got screwed :)

No rational person would actually think the #5 team would be getting screwed. Even if they would, they wouldn't be crying for the current system, they would be crying for expansion of the playoff.

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When there are clear cut #1 and #2 similar to Michigan/Nebraska in 1997 or Penn St/Nebraska in 1994 then I see no need for a play-off. The BCS system would have worked fine in both instances.

The +1 would be when you have situations like Auburn or USC a few years ago when they got left out.

You can not possibly go on a year by year basis for a +1. You wouldn't have enough time to set up a site for the game and all of the other logistics surrounding it.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point made.

I'm only pointing out what I feel would be ideal.

Epic Leprikon

I am Epic Leprikon?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No rational person would actually think the #5 team would be getting screwed. Even if they would, they wouldn't be crying for the current system, they would be crying for expansion of the playoff.

Even more reason that a playoff is a horrible idea. In a few more years they will expand, to appease the #5 bitchers...and so on...and so on...and so on...and then we have a crap shoot like the basketball tourney.