• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No playoff according to coaches

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did I not point out that the Rose Bowl, Pac 10 and Big 10 were not on board (involved) in 1997? I think I did at least twice.

Under the current BCS system #1 Michigan would have played #2 Nebraska in 1997. Fact!

Using 1997 as justification for a play-off is par with a chick saying put the toilet seat down so she doesn't fall in. So stop using 1997 as an example where you can use USC or Auburn to make a much better point.

I didn't realize that I needed to spell this out for you more.

If there was a TRUE play off in 1997 it would have forced the Pac 10 and Big 10 to join in. The system that was in place in 97 was not a playoff. The system was just an arbitrary way of deciding who were the top 2 teams on paper and not on the field and not all the teams were included in the equation with the Pac 10 and Big 10 not complying. It was a bigger joke of a system than what we have right now.

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, not anymore they don't. Because they now have exclusive rights to air the BCS games. I don't think you'll be hearing near as much play-off talk coming from them anymore.

I bet we will hear it just as much as we did before. Both for and against a playoff.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize that I needed to spell this out for you more.

If there was a TRUE play off in 1997 it would have forced the Pac 10 and Big 10 to join in. The system that was in place in 97 was not a playoff. The system was just an arbitrary way of deciding who were the top 2 teams on paper and not on the field and not all the teams were included in the equation with the Pac 10 and Big 10 not complying. It was a bigger joke of a system than what we have right now.

The one who needs spelling out to is you. Did I say the system in 97 was a play-off? NO. I never even came close to indicating that.

I'm saying the current BCS would have matched up #1 Michigan and #2 Nebraska in 1997.

Do you agree? Yes or No.

Epic Leprikon

I am Epic Leprikon?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody know how long the current season is from start to finish? I'm just curious, trying to figure how long a playoff would make it in comparison to the other major sports.

Kisen427

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Jed, Redalert is right with the CURRENT system in 97 and not the system in place at that time, Nebraska would have played Michigan. There will be just as many issues with a playoff as there is now and yes you can use the current basketball system as an example. The amount of teams in the sport doesn't matter coaches will find away to compliant along with the media and fans.

fredmelmackian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
anyone watch the ncaa CHAMPIONSHIP yesterday? i did! i'm not even a fan of college basketball.

if anyone is still against a playoff, they should have their fan card revoked!

HawkeyeHater

Not a drunk
Hoopla Cash
$ 750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playoffs are for pussys who don't want to schedule anyone......

Play a tough schedule-

Win all your games

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyone watch the ncaa CHAMPIONSHIP yesterday? i did! i'm not even a fan of college basketball.

if anyone is still against a playoff, they should have their fan card revoked!

For the record fred....How many teams do you propose in the play-off?

YuHusker1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Red
How were Mich and Neb rated in 97? If they were under the joke of a system they had back then the strength of schedule would be what might have changed the ratings of both teams. Am I making it too simplistic or do I not understand BCS. What I like about the BCS is the computer side of it but now the human side of the rating seems to have gotten more screwed up than it was when that was the way the NC was selected.

YuHusker1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The things I do not like about having a playoff is:
Many more chances for serious injury.

Teams that might get included because they are in a weak conf and no real supporting work against good teams in the OOC

These kids are in school and suppose to be getting an education, cause lets face it even if they are on a top 5 team year in and year out most will not make it to the pros and need their education.

And every playoff gets bigger and includes more and more teams over time because the people running it want more MONEY and the schools not in it cry foul. So teams will always complain. And so will fans about the reffing.

YuHusker1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kstatehater
I agree with you in your last post. And it goes both ways. Those good teams wanting to have easier games to get the O rolling and the wanna be's that are winning on weak schedules and do not want to prove themselves the right way. I have more respect for the former cause most of them have tough comp throughout the conf schedules. Or at least moderately tough schedules and have won the NC.