• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Niners - Texans

Jordan23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance is starting to come into it which is nice
He needs time under center if he’s gonna get any better. Today was very good for him to battle a weak Houston team and get some confidence and get comfortable. 250 yds on 17 completions and much better second half. I’ll take it if he can keep improving.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance showed enough today to suggest he might be the best QB in this Draft class. He definitely doesn't appear to be the worst.
True.
He has the talent and ability, but didn't look comfortable or show the confidence he needed in the 1st half today...but the 2nd half was another story altogether for him. So whoever gave him the pep talk (Jimmy G, Kittle, Deebo, the QB coach?...probably all of them) in the locker room during halftime deserve some props too....because it worked.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Obviously, a GOOD win! Not surprising it was a low scoring 1st half.................ok ok admittedly, lower than I had expected. :-)

Lance hung in there and got better in the 2nd half, we'll need two of these halves next week. Shannahan called longer routes in the 2nd half and he should do it again in the 1st half. Obviously, the Rams are much better than the Texans so can't play it 'safe' all 1st half.

If other teams can get PI's against us, then we should get our share by letting Lance throw some long.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
True.
He has the talent and ability, but didn't look comfortable or show the confidence he needed in the 1st half today...but the 2nd half was another story altogether for him. So whoever gave him the pep talk (Jimmy G, Kittle, Deebo, the QB coach?...probably all of them) in the locker room during halftime deserve some props too....because it worked.
Yes, he didn't fold or press too hard.

As long as Lance continues upward from the 2nd half, we'll be fine.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance looked a little better in that 2 min drill.
Just good enough to get the Niners on the board before halftime.
7-3 Houston.

I still can't believe Kittle doesn't have a catch...and Deebo has just 2.
That needs to change in the 2nd half.
LOL! He threw an INT right into the defender's hands and he dropped it.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, i liked JG way before this season. I always said while he's not elite, he's good enough to win the SB. The facts of this season show he was too inconsistent.

You're a Lance hater.
I am. With good reason. He is probably the worst starter in the league?. And way, way too expensive.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First half Lance was a disaster--like the Arizona Lance.

2nd half Lance was better, but nowhere close to good enough. Balls still late, making decisions to throw/run too slowly, completely missing open receivers, flatly refusing to throw a dump off pass, etc. If that was Lance's floor, I'd feel better, but its way too early to say that's the case.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lance does not like the checkdown passes, but he'll learn to take them. The chart comparison is only between Lance start yesterday and Jimmy's game against Tennessee, but you can clearly see how much Jimmy loves 5yds and the middle of the field versus how Lance was using the entire field. That TD pass to Samuel is not one Jimmy could make. It's not that Jimmy can't throw it far enough it's that Jimmy can't throw it that far with that arc and velocity on it. Jimmy throws that pass and the Safety has time to recover and make it a much harder catch for Samuel. Lance can make Aiyuk, Kittle, and Deebo 20+ yards down the field dangerous with how fast he can put the ball on them.

That said Jimmy playing against the Rams wouldn't upset me. He's been the QB all year and it probably makes no sense to throw Lance right into the heat of a playoff battle. No way Jimmy is back next year though.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
First half Lance was a disaster--like the Arizona Lance.

2nd half Lance was better, but nowhere close to good enough. Balls still late, making decisions to throw/run too slowly, completely missing open receivers, flatly refusing to throw a dump off pass, etc. If that was Lance's floor, I'd feel better, but its way too early to say that's the case.
Yes, way too early when we recall his history to this point. With more and more game experience he'll get comfortable, and with comfort see more of the field. 'Seeing more of the field' includes DB's too, not just his receivers.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Lance does not like the checkdown passes, but he'll learn to take them. The chart comparison is only between Lance start yesterday and Jimmy's game against Tennessee, but you can clearly see how much Jimmy loves 5yds and the middle of the field versus how Lance was using the entire field. That TD pass to Samuel is not one Jimmy could make. It's not that Jimmy can't throw it far enough it's that Jimmy can't throw it that far with that arc and velocity on it. Jimmy throws that pass and the Safety has time to recover and make it a much harder catch for Samuel. Lance can make Aiyuk, Kittle, and Deebo 20+ yards down the field dangerous with how fast he can put the ball on them.

That said Jimmy playing against the Rams wouldn't upset me. He's been the QB all year and it probably makes no sense to throw Lance right into the heat of a playoff battle. No way Jimmy is back next year though.
Yes, Lance can throw it anywhere on the field whereas JG is about 8 yards or so between the numbers. Not surprisingly, Lance can't see the field now but with experience, he will. When he starts to see the field (game slows down for him), he can start to open up our passing game. Shannahan needs more routes as his disposal, to counterpunch the defensive adjustments.

Right now, fan expectations are simply too high.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another nugget from the game was Josh Norman getting benched after he committed yet another DPI penalty. His 6th of the season and his team-leading 10th total penalty. He was replaced with mediocre-at-best journeyman Dontae Johnson, who...1...play...later was hit with a 23yrd DPI penalty. Norman didn't reenter the game.

With Moseley still out since his Dec. 5 high ankle sprain, that means Ambry Thomas will almost certainly start again, but the question becomes who will start at the other CB spot?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Another nugget from the game was Josh Norman getting benched after he committed yet another DPI penalty. His 6th of the season and his team-leading 10th total penalty. He was replaced with mediocre-at-best journeyman Dontae Johnson, who...1...play...later was hit with a 23yrd DPI penalty. Norman didn't reenter the game.

With Moseley still out since his Dec. 5 high ankle sprain, that means Ambry Thomas will almost certainly start again, but the question becomes who will start at the other CB spot?
I'm more concerned with CB next season and beyond? Don't see us signing Verrett (is he a FA?) because we just can't depend on him. This wasn't Moseley's first prolonged injury either. Ambry Thomas might just keep getting better, but at this point we can't assume he's starting material?

We SHOULD draft a 2nd round CB but we can only see how the draft board pans out? I'm not for signing a higher end FA CB.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm more concerned with CB next season and beyond? Don't see us signing Verrett (is he a FA?) because we just can't depend on him. This wasn't Moseley's first prolonged injury either. Ambry Thomas might just keep getting better, but at this point we can't assume he's starting material?

We SHOULD draft a 2nd round CB but we can only see how the draft board pans out? I'm not for signing a higher end FA CB.
The FO missed its best chances at a high-level CB. We could've had Lattimore in the draft. We were reportedly "interested" in trading for J.Ramsey and M.Peters, but apparently we weren't interested enough.

Signing Verrett last year was a smart gamble--low risk, high reward. It worked out. Relying on him to stay healthy THIS year without planning for him to miss serious time or leave in FA is where our FO screwed up again.

Verrett IS a FA this offseason. The multiyear FA offers he got last year were on the low end (due to his injury history), so he insisted on a 1 year deal so he could "cash in" after this season. We'd be smart to sign him to a 1 year, near-minimum deal that paid more for each game played, but the FO should consider that signing as nothing more than a flyer and behave as though any contribution he makes is gravy.

The best place to get a good CB will be the draft, but will there be a good one available in rd 2 this year? There really wasn't last year (at least not according to our FO).

As for FA at CB:
1. If the FO wants to swing for the fence and pay the big money for a CB that is at/near PB level and on the way up, JC Jackson (NE) or Carlton Davis (TB). Both could be tagged.

2. If we’re looking at higher-end vets with 2-4 good years left: S.Gilmore, P.Peterson, Chris Harris, or B.Callahan. They'd be rather expensive short term rentals.

3. If we’re looking for that cheap, younger, athletic guy that could improve in a rather simple defensive system there are plenty out there. But can we find one?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, Josh Norman. If you get benched for Daunte Johnson, you know you are really bad.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Damn, Josh Norman. If you get benched for Daunte Johnson, you know you are really bad.
Nothing new, Josh Norman was bad how many games ago?!

But when both of your starters are out, you can only play who's there. You're not going to bring in a quality starter, once the season begins.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing new, Josh Norman was bad how many games ago?!

But when both of your starters are out, you can only play who's there. You're not going to bring in a quality starter, once the season begins.
I read today that K'Juan Williams and Daunte Johnson have COVID so we better get ready for more Thomas and Norman.