• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Nick Saban vs Mark Dantonio - MSU record

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of folks are mentioning Nick Saban as the top candidate for the Texas job. But lets take a look at Nick Saban's tenure at Michigan State and compare it with current Spartan coach, and Texas native Mark Dantonio.

KEEP IN MIND, Nick Saban followed in the footsteps of 12 year MSU coach George Perles, who was considered a decent Spartan coach, whereas Mark Dantonio had the very tough job of following the four year tenure of John L Smith, who pretty much destroyed the Spartan football program.

ALSO KEEP IN MIND, Michigan State is a school which typically recruits 2 and 3 star kids, with an occasional 4 star. The Spartans get the players Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Nebraska don't want.

Here is a comparison of the Michigan State records of Nick Saban vs Mark Dantonio.

NICK SABAN

Michigan State Spartans (Big Ten Conference) (1995–1999)
YEAR TEAM OVERALL CONFERENCE STANDING BOWL COACHES AP
1995 Michigan State 6–5–1 4–3–1 5th L Independence
1996 Michigan State 6–6 5–3 5th L Sun
1997 Michigan State 7–5 4–4 6th L Aloha
1998 Michigan State 6–6 4–4 6th
1999 Michigan State 9–2* 6–2 2nd Invited to Citrus* 9* 9*
TOTALS-MSU: 34–24–1 23–16–1 * Saban resigned before bowl game.

MARK DANTONIO

Michigan State Spartans (Big Ten Conference) (2007–present)
YEAR TEAM OVERALL CONFERENCE STANDING BOWL COACHES AP
2007 Michigan State 7–6 3–5 T–7th L Champs Sports
2008 Michigan State 9–4 6–2 3rd L Capital One 24 24
2009 Michigan State 6–7 4–4 T–6th L Alamo
2010 Michigan State 11–2 7–1 T–1st L Capital One 14 14
2011 Michigan State 11–3 7–1 1st(Legends) W Outback 10 11
2012 Michigan State 7–6 3–5 4th(Legends) W Buffalo Wild Wings
2013 Michigan State 12–1 8–0 1st(Legends) TBD Rose TBD TBD
TOTALS-MSU: 63–29 38–18

It's pretty clear who did the better job at Michigan State. And once again remember, Nick Saban followed in the footsteps of 12 year MSU coach George Perles, who was considered a decent coach, whereas Mark Dantonio had the very tough job of following the four year tenure of John L Smith, who pretty much destroyed the Spartan football program.

Texas native, Mark Dantonio is five years younger than Nick Saban, and is said to be a lifer at Michigan State, and has stated that he wishes to finish his coaching career in East Lansing.

IMO, Dantonio would probably only leave Michigan State for perhaps two other coaching jobs------1) at his alma mater, South Carolina, in order to take over for the 68 year old Steve Spurrier when he retires....and 2) Texas Longhorns

Imagine what Mark Dantonio and staff could accomplish at an elite program with top-notch recruits and resources.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already put it out there in many threads: I want Dantonio.

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Mark Dantonio also had won 4 BCS titles at 2 other schools, you'd definitely have a point.

I guess sometimes people look at an entire resume and not just a small segment of it.

Not saying Dantonio isn't a really good coach, but if Malzahn left tomorrow and I could have my choice between Saban or Dantonio, I'm taking Saban AINEC.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did that Capital One Bowl go a few years ago with Saban's worst team at Alabama(record wise/outside first year) and Dantonio's B1G co-champion? 49-7 and almost hard to watch domination? :scratch: Not that I want Saban going anywhere but doubt Texas BOT's read SportsHoopla for opinions.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did that Capital One Bowl go a few years ago with Saban's worst team at Alabama(record wise/outside first year) and Dantonio's B1G co-champion? 49-7 and almost hard to watch domination? :scratch: Not that I want Saban going anywhere but doubt Texas BOT's read SportsHoopla for opinions.

Nope that was a number 3 team against the number 3 team. So they were even. Using SEC logic for you.

Bama gets much better recruits. They always have and always will

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Dantonio was from Zainesville, OH

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope that was a number 3 team against the number 3 team. So they were even. Using SEC logic for you.

#3 by selections, but by conference record Alabama actually finished 4th in the SEC West that year.

and when comparing conferences to one another, don't you think it is best to compare #3 to #3 than some other comparison? if you just go in to the comparison saying "well the SEC must be a lot better so we should compare SEC #7 vs Big 10 #2 or #3" then you've already agreed with our point. and furthermore, the SEC losing a matchup like that would not do anything to disprove that the SEC is the best conference.

Last edited by a moderator:

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you just write what ever you want?

2010 SEC standings

Auburn 8-0
Arkansas 6-2
LSU 6-2
South Carolina 5-3
Alabama 5-3 finishes 5th behind South Carolina based on losing head to head.

2010 B1G

Wisconsin 7-1
MSU 7-1
OSU 7-1 *vacated wins

Sure looks like B1G co-champion vs 5th place SEC team Alabama

Am I missing somthing? :scratch:

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#3 by selections, but by conference record Alabama actually finished 4th in the SEC West that year.

and when comparing conferences to one another, don't you think it is best to compare #3 to #3 than some other comparison? if you just go in to the comparison saying "well the SEC must be a lot better so we should compare SEC #7 vs Big 10 #2 or #3" then you've already agreed with our point. and furthermore, the SEC losing a matchup like that would not do anything to disprove that the SEC is the best conference.

So when the #1 SEC gets blown out by the #1 ACC.

we can all just go ahead and say the ACC > SEC.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no doubt that Dantonio is an excellent coach. It is fact he did more at MSU. I do think the comparison is lacking a logical foundation. You are presuming that Saban is the same coach today that he was 15 yrs ago. That seems specious to me

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, the teams were both selected as the number three teams for the bowl game, but reality was that MSU was the Co-Champ of the B1G that year at 7-1 in conference, while Alabama had lost three games in conference and was fourth in the SEC.

His statement holds true in that it has been Sabans worst team since his first year team when he was getting things in place to make this run the team has been on. And no matter if the team was even, that still looks really bad on MSU as then we have even teams(one with 2 more losses at the time) destroying and demoralizing the other on the field.

Truth is a hard thing to face, but at this time Saban is a much better coach than he was when he took over MSU, and Dantonio didnt learn all he could and should have by working for Saban. Dantonio is younger, but not near the coach that Saban is even now.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So when the #1 SEC gets blown out by the #1 ACC.

we can all just go ahead and say the ACC > SEC.

You will, so whats going to be any different. Choked lately?

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You will, so whats going to be any different. Choked lately?

We Didn't give up a 110 yard missed FG for a score. That's what I consider a choke

Last edited by a moderator:

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We Didn't give up a 110 yard missed FG, If that's what you mean by choke.

Yeah, but the difference is i wasnt on here making threads about it, you did and then choked. I said all along that Auburn had a chance to win, and with no time left on the clock they did. Whats funny is, to me thats not a choke, its a fluke play, but to you Bama choked.

Mt thoughts on choking is when you have the title in sight, have nothing standing in your way but one win and an opponent that everyone says you should beat in your way...and you still lose. I told you that word choke could come back to haunt you and it has. What Bama was trying to do was nearly impossible anyway, i am surprised they got this far this year with the rebuild of the O-line and new defensive starters that had been put in place this year. I predicted 2 possibly 2 losses on the year before it started, so I am in gravy time right now.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dantonio is a good coach. Impressive with what he has.
However, I think Conference Dynamics come into play with comparisons like this. What was the conference make up back when Saban was there? Michigan won an NC during that time. Penn State was doing OK. I'm not going to dissect it, but some of the success that Dantonio has had may be due to the fact that the BIG is in a down period now vs. back then. Lots to consider, but I don't think any school would be pissed if Dantonio were to become their coach.

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dantonio was 3 years in when got blasted by Alabama.

When Saben was 3 years in at MSU he got blasted by Washington. But I suppose that's different.

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It certainly went better than Nick Saban vs. IOWA in the Capital One Bowl

The Authority

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but the difference is i wasnt on here making threads about it, you did and then choked. I said all along that Auburn had a chance to win, and with no time left on the clock they did. Whats funny is, to me thats not a choke, its a fluke play, but to you Bama choked.

Mt thoughts on choking is when you have the title in sight, have nothing standing in your way but one win and an opponent that everyone says you should beat in your way...and you still lose. I told you that word choke could come back to haunt you and it has. What Bama was trying to do was nearly impossible anyway, i am surprised they got this far this year with the rebuild of the O-line and new defensive starters that had been put in place this year. I predicted 2 possibly 2 losses on the year before it started, so I am in gravy time right now.

Choking is failing to do something that is easy. Like stopping a 110 yard missed FG return or scoring in the red zone, or making a relatively close FG.

Winning 25 games in a row isn't easy especially when the 25th game is against a top 10 team.

Nothing has come back to haunt me. I stand by what I said as it holds true. Funny thing is I prefaced everything in that post giving bama props but you can't handle the slightest bit of a negative observation about your team.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant tell you this much - BYU sure as shit wouldn't have rushed for 3400 yards or whatever it was if Dantonio was coaching the Horns.