• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL will file for expedited appeal in Ezekiel Elliott case

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posted by Josh Alper on September 11, 2017, 10:55 AM EDT
ap_17212628809212-e1505141733433.jpg

AP

The NFL filed an appeal of the preliminary injunction blocking Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott‘s six-game suspension on Monday and that won’t be their only legal maneuver.

A league source tells PFT that the league will also request an expedited appeal from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, although there’s no way to know if that will make a significant difference in how quickly the case is heard. The average time from notice of appeal to decision in the Fifth Circuit averages over eight months and an expedited appeal in the Tom Brady case still took sixth months.

The league will also file a motion asking for a stay of the case to block any further action being taken by District Court Judge Amos L. Mazzant III pending the appeal at some point in the next 24 hours.

The league wants things to move toward a conclusion, preferably the same one they got in the Brady case, as quickly as possible although it remains to be seen if that’s how things will go in the coming days, weeks and/or months.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"We are going to take 14 months to investigate, then ignore our investigator. Then we are going to block any attempts to have anyone involved in handing down the suspension from speaking at his appeal. But we want the courts to move quickly now".

Fuck goodell.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
next the NFLPA will appeal the owners appeal of their appeal, which shall certainly lead to an appeal:confused:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hopefully the next action is Goodell gets fired.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posted by Josh Alper on September 11, 2017, 10:55 AM EDT
ap_17212628809212-e1505141733433.jpg

AP

The NFL filed an appeal of the preliminary injunction blocking Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott‘s six-game suspension on Monday and that won’t be their only legal maneuver.

A league source tells PFT that the league will also request an expedited appeal from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, although there’s no way to know if that will make a significant difference in how quickly the case is heard. The average time from notice of appeal to decision in the Fifth Circuit averages over eight months and an expedited appeal in the Tom Brady case still took sixth months.

The league will also file a motion asking for a stay of the case to block any further action being taken by District Court Judge Amos L. Mazzant III pending the appeal at some point in the next 24 hours.

The league wants things to move toward a conclusion, preferably the same one they got in the Brady case, as quickly as possible although it remains to be seen if that’s how things will go in the coming days, weeks and/or months.

this will go the same as brady, especially now that there is precedent.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i said that for a while, but ive succumbed to the realization that he just makes the owners too much money. he works for them, and theyre making more money than ever before.

he is a clown, but he is winning.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That will never happen. He makes the league way too much money.....owners are getting richer and richer under him.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i said that for a while, but ive succumbed to the realization that he just makes the owners too much money. he works for them, and theyre making more money than ever before.

I know, but I also think a pet rock could also have made the owners jsut as much money. Maybe more by not having one PR nightmare after another.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Finally came around

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the NFL wins and they eventually get to suspend Zeke, but it takes until December to get it done, it could end up being way worse for the Cowboys than if they'd just sat Zeke out for the first 6 weeks. What if they lose him just in time for the playoffs? That would be a pretty bitter pill.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the NFL wins and they eventually get to suspend Zeke, but it takes until December to get it done, it could end up being way worse for the Cowboys than if they'd just sat Zeke out for the first 6 weeks. What if they lose him just in time for the playoffs? That would be a pretty bitter pill.
I tend to agree with you which is one of the reasons I was hoping he would just drop it and serve the suspension.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Could be...But watching Zeke last night, than watching Alfred Morris makes ya wonder if they would be playing for anything in December

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be...But watching Zeke last night, than watching Alfred Morris makes ya wonder if they would be playing for anything in December

It's a double edged sword for sure. You need to play well to get to the playoffs, but if you get there and are one and done because your star RB is suspended what did you really accomplish? But in the end wouldn't you rather take your lumps now opposed to the taking them in the playoffs?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a double edged sword for sure. You need to play well to get to the playoffs, but if you get there and are one and done because your star RB is suspended what did you really accomplish? But in the end wouldn't you rather take your lumps now opposed to the taking them in the playoffs?

Agreed, they obviously rolled the dice completely on them not having to deal with this until 2018

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No offense to Cowboys fans, but this is certainly how I hope it plays out.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, they obviously rolled the dice completely on them not having to deal with this until 2018

If I was the Dallas Cowboys management I might look for a soft spot in the schedule where they play a few weak teams over a 6 week span and then just drop the appeal and sit Zeke for that period. That way they get to sit him against teams that aren't playoff contenders instead of possibly sitting him in the playoffs where every team is hard to beat and you need all men on deck.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was the Dallas Cowboys management I might look for a soft spot in the schedule where they play a few weak teams over a 6 week span and then just drop the appeal and sit Zeke for that period. That way they get to sit him against teams that aren't playoff contenders instead of possibly sitting him in the playoffs where every team is hard to beat and you need all men on deck.

I would do that if they sense things arent going their way...Im sure Jerruh has a few people on the inside of all this stuff, where he can get a heads up that the court thing is not gonna land in his favor

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It will be March at the earliest before this can be heard.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We are in our soft spot of the schedule.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Only way I could see that happening is if the players just say they refuse to play while Goodell is commissioner during the next negotiations