• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFL QB's Flying Under The Radar On NFL Rosters

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Zach Mettenberger of Tennessee Titans

I saw this guy play and trust me he is gonna be good when he gets his shot. He couldn't win his first few games with TN because of how terrible the defense was and how bad his offensive line and run game were.

During the 2014 NFL preseason Mett was the leading passer of all NFL QB's completing 47 of 68 passes good for 69 percent of passes completed for 659 yards.

In his first preseason game lead a last minute comeback against Green Bay directing a five-play, 80-yard drive to win the game 20-16. He connected with wide receiver Brian Robiskie for a 38-yard completion across the middle to set up Battle's seven-yard touchdown run.

Second preseason game against New Orleans he completed 20 out of 25 passes,80 percent of his passes were completed including a 64 yard pass to Hunter.

In his last preseason game he completed 12 of 17 passes.70 percent of passes were completed. Not bad for a rookie drafted in the sixth round.

In Mett's first full game of action against Houston he went 27 of 41 completing 66 percent of his passes for 300 yards with two touchdowns,one interception and a 93.4 QB rating. In his very first game he set a new franchise passing record with 300 yards.

On the road against Baltimore in his second game he looked sharp in the first half leading the first few drives down the field he completed 16 of 27 passes with one touchdown and one interception.

In his third game against Pittsburgh he set a new NFL rookie record on MNF completing 15 of 24 passes for 263 yards including an 80 yard bomb for a TD ending the game with two touchdowns and one interception and a 110 QB rating.

Against Philly he threw for 345 yards including eight passes over twenty yards with two touchdowns and one interception and an 88 QB rating.

In his fifth game at Houston he completed 13 of 19 passes completing 68 percent of his passes for 184 yards for one touchdown and one interception and a 95 QB rating.

Out of all six games he played only the last one against New York was bad mainly because of the poor offensive line in it he completed 14 out of 24 passes for 125 yards and an interception.

To be honest he only got six games to show what he could do but i think he did a mighty fine job considering he had a shoestring offensive line,a non existent running game and a defense that was the worst in the league.

The only reason Mettenberger is not the starter is the GM thought Marcus Mariota was too good to pass up so they drafted him.

2. Mike Glennon of Tampa Bay Bucs

Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Mike Glennon is the latest reminder that change happens quickly in the NFL; a young player's future is too often left to the whims of shifting regimes.

Bucs coach Lovie Smith essentially installed journeyman Josh McCown last year as his starter, leaving Glennon to twist in the wind. Smith and the Bucs let McCown go but then drafted Jameis Winston.

In November 2013 Glennon won Offensive Rookie of the Month completing 62 of 88 passes (70.5 percent) for 785 yards with seven touchdowns and one interception for a 119.7 passer rating for the month of November.

Glennon was also the first rookie QB in NFL history to throw at least one touchdown pass in his first eight games.

Glennon finished his rookie campaign with an 83.9 passer rating, completing nearly sixty percent of his passes (247 of 416) for 2,608 passing yards, 19 touchdowns and 9 interceptions.

Glennon made his first start of the 2014 season against the Pittsburgh Steelers. With 40 seconds left in the game, Glennon drove the Bucs down the field for a game-winning touchdown pass to Vincent Jackson with seven seconds left. Glennon completed 21 of 42 passes for 302 yards, 2 touchdowns, and 1 interception, leading the Bucs to a 27-24 victory over the Steelers, their first win of the season.

Glennon finished his short second season campaign with a 83.3 passer rating, completing 58 percent of his passes (117 of 203) for 1,417 passing yards, 10 touchdowns, and 6 interceptions.

3. Matt Moore of Miami Dolphins....

Matt Moore returns for his fifth season in Miami this year, and could be counted among the more experienced and quality backups in the league. Moore hasn't played much since Ryan Tannehill arrived; he last started in 2011, when he threw for 2,497 yards, 16 touchdowns and nine interceptions with 7.2 YPA and an 87.1 rating. He took a few snaps in 2014 in two games. His rating with the Dolphins has hovered right around 85.0, Moore has 25 starts in his career.

4. Austin Davis of the St. Louis Rams.....

Davis went undrafted in the 2012 NFL Draft and signed a free agent deal with the St. Louis Rams.

In the first week of the 2014 NFL season against the Minnesota Vikings, Davis entered the game at the start of the second half in relief of starter Shaun Hill. A week later, due to Hill's prevailing injury, Davis made his NFL starting debut on September 14, in a winning effort against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers where he completed 22 of 29 passes,76% completed,235 yards and a 99.1 passer rating.

Against Philly in a close lose 34-28 Davis completed 29 of 49,59% completed for 375 yards,3TD 0INT and a 103.7 passer rating.

Following the Rams' 28-26 upset win over the defending champion Seattle Seahawks in Week 7, former All-Pro quarterback and legend Brett Favre tabbed Davis as a potential Tom Brady or Kurt Warner of the future, both of whom won Super Bowls despite a bleak start to their NFL careers. During the victory, Davis completed 17 of 20 passes,85% completed the best completion percentage in NFL history against a defending Super Bowl champion;and a 132.3 passer rating the former Southern Miss QB also added 152 passing yards and two touchdowns, one of which ultimately sealed their victory after Davis successfully led an 80-yard drive.

After 2 interceptions and a lost fumble in the 4th quarter against Arizona in early November, Davis was benched in favor of Hill. However just because he had a bad game all QB's have one is no reason to give up on Davis who i thought did very well.

5. Connor Shaw of the Cleveland Browns.....

Shaw went undrafted in the 2014 NFL Draft, and later signed with the Cleveland Browns following the draft. In his preseason debut he completed (8 of 9) passes for 123 yards with one touchdown and no interceptions against the Washington Redskins. He was released on August 30, 2014, but re-signed to their practice squad the next day.

Due to injuries from Johnny Manziel and Brian Hoyer, on December 22, 2014, Shaw was called up from the practice squad to be on the active roster. Shaw was also announced as the starter for the season finale against the Ravens.

In his first career NFL start against the Baltimore Ravens, Shaw went 14/28 for 177 yards with 1 interception and 0 touchdowns, including a 49 yard pass to Taylor Gabriel after avoiding pressure. Shaw received mixed reviews from critics but praise from teammates such as Joe Thomas who was quoted saying "He's a quarterback that belongs in the NFL" and Taylor Gabriel who said "He had a lot of poise in the huddle."

I'd also like to throw an honorable mention out to Jimmy Garoppolo.

Garoppolo was drafted by the Patriots in the second round of the 2014 NFL Draft. He played college football at Eastern Illinois.

As a senior in 2013, Garoppolo broke Tony Romo's school records for career passing touchdowns, yards and passing touchdowns in a season. He threw for 53TD and 9INT,Completed 375 out of 568 passes,66% completed,5050 YDS,360 yards per game,168.3 passer rating.

Garoppolo made his regular season debut in the Patriots' Week 4 road loss to the Kansas City Chiefs on Monday Night Football. He led the Patriots to a touchdown on a 13-yard pass to tight end Rob Gronkowski on his first drive. He finished the night completing six of seven passes for 70 yards and one touchdown, with a passer rating of 147.9.

In his rookie season, Garoppolo played in 6 games. He completed 19 of 27 passes for 182 yards and a touchdown with a 101.2 passer rating. While Garoppolo did not take any snaps in the New England Patriots' Super Bowl XLIX win, he was credited with helping to prepare the Patriots defense for Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson.

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good insight well written.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good chance though that none of the guys you mentioned even start this year other than Garrapollo when Brady is suspended. I agree with Mettenberger though being a very under the radar guy. I really thought the Titans would give him another shot to show he can be the top guy. If he hadn't been injured heading into the draft last year I honestly think he is a borderline 1st round pick and at worst 2nd round pick. If that is the case then the Titans with how well he played this last year would have given him a 2nd year to really prove himself. At this point though looks like he will rot on the bench.

MIKE75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good chance though that none of the guys you mentioned even start this year other than Garrapollo when Brady is suspended. I agree with Mettenberger though being a very under the radar guy. I really thought the Titans would give him another shot to show he can be the top guy. If he hadn't been injured heading into the draft last year I honestly think he is a borderline 1st round pick and at worst 2nd round pick. If that is the case then the Titans with how well he played this last year would have given him a 2nd year to really prove himself. At this point though looks like he will rot on the bench.

I am literally tortured by this as i've watched this team draft VY and Locker trying to replace Steve McNair and while VY had a 31-19 record overall he showed flashes coming from behind to win games,99 yard walkoff to beat Arizona with time expired,won seven straight games to end 2009,started 2010 with 5-1 record but Fisher and VY clashed destroying the season then messing the team up when both left which set the stage in 2011 to draft Jake Locker who was a bust and huge mistake.

Locker had pocket issues,accuracy was terrible,injured too much. Locker was the main reason the team lost the last four years. When Mettenberger was drafted he lead a come from behind victory in his first preseason game then completed 20 of 25 passes including a 70 yard missle to Justin Hunter. I knew early on Mettenberger had a great arm and was a gunslinger that passed the eye test and could play QB very well for a rookie.

Mettenberger should've been named starter to begin 2014 he blew Locker out of the water. What sucks is Mett got hurt and the team drafted Mariota. I would've took all the draft picks and players Philly offered and gave them Mariota and with all that i think Mettenberger could've had the roster winning again. The damn team finally finds a good QB but decides they like Mariota too and can't resist keeping him.

It is enough to make you shake your head. I hope like hell Mariota plays well because Mettenberger was good.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am literally tortured by this as i've watched this team draft VY and Locker trying to replace Steve McNair and while VY had a 31-19 record overall he showed flashes coming from behind to win games,99 yard walkoff to beat Arizona with time expired,won seven straight games to end 2009,started 2010 with 5-1 record but Fisher and VY clashed destroying the season then messing the team up when both left which set the stage in 2011 to draft Jake Locker who was a bust and huge mistake.

Locker had pocket issues,accuracy was terrible,injured too much. Locker was the main reason the team lost the last four years. When Mettenberger was drafted he lead a come from behind victory in his first preseason game then completed 20 of 25 passes including a 70 yard missle to Justin Hunter. I knew early on Mettenberger had a great arm and was a gunslinger that passed the eye test and could play QB very well for a rookie.

Mettenberger should've been named starter to begin 2014 he blew Locker out of the water. What sucks is Mett got hurt and the team drafted Mariota. I would've took all the draft picks and players Philly offered and gave them Mariota and with all that i think Mettenberger could've had the roster winning again. The damn team finally finds a good QB but decides they like Mariota too and can't resist keeping him.

It is enough to make you shake your head. I hope like hell Mariota plays well because Mettenberger was good.

Part of me still thinks that they drafted Mariota only because they thought that someone would meet their asking price in a trade and when they didn't they got left holding the bag. The way they have handled his signing has only reinforced that idea.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Austin Davis can win the job back. Saying that Davis had 1 bad game is misleading. He had 3 bad games in a row.

Garappolo will also get his chance.

I am a skeptic on Mettenberger but Mariota isnt exactly a sure thing

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of me still thinks that they drafted Mariota only because they thought that someone would meet their asking price in a trade and when they didn't they got left holding the bag. The way they have handled his signing has only reinforced that idea.

They should have trusted their in house evaluation more. It ends up looking like they just drafted Mariota because people outside the organization thought they should.

It's never good when the GM picks the coaches QB for him. Whisenhunt would have made Mettenberger work, no doubt about it.